PDA

View Full Version : Between frame and skidplate

upstate rider
07-12-2002, 05:05 AM
I want to know if theres something out there to use between the frame and skidplate to keep the mud , grass and etc. from getting packed in there? The pressure washer work OK but not well enough , I was thinking about buying some foam (non-water holding )and cutting it to size. I also wanted to know what you guys think about if foam gets against the bottom of the engine ( heat wise that is) or maybe there something out there somewhere already riders use.

Pappy
07-12-2002, 07:04 PM
i dont like the mud in there either....but clean it u must!!

upstate rider
07-13-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 400ex127
i dont like the mud in there either....but clean it u must!! Yes I know but , What did you think of the idea? Looking for some more input maybe I needed to put it on open forum

Pappy
07-13-2002, 05:19 PM
the foam would work...maybe to keep out the majority of the mud and debris. i dont think it would melt due to heat from the engine. heck...give it a try

upstate rider
07-13-2002, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the reply , I think it may work at least to keep most of the stuff from getting packed in there , last time I needed to drop it down to clean it good. I just wasn't sure if it would let the heat escape from the engine or if would even matter being on the bottom and not that much would really be in contact anyway.

Woodsrider
07-13-2002, 05:44 PM
Just lay a bead of caulking in there.

loganB
07-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Just buy some skid plate foam. They sell it just for that reson.:devil

airheadedduner
07-13-2002, 11:20 PM
If you are worried about the foam melting wrap it in heat tape.

Ex'r Marlin
07-14-2002, 12:28 AM
I don't know about this.... It sounds to me that you want to keep that area open to allow the air to pass by to keep the engine as cool as possible, especially in the summer months. In the winter time, sounds like a good idea to put something between the two to help keep debris out.

BTW, when you was your atv, do you stand it up too? I found this really helps get rid of the debris with forced water.

upstate rider
07-14-2002, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by loganB
Just buy some skid plate foam. They sell it just for that reson.:devil Who sells it and where I find it?

upstate rider
07-14-2002, 05:27 AM
Ex'r Marlin , I didn't try standing it up when using the pressure washer. I think the biggest problem ( getting out that is ) was the grassy type things that catch and then the pressure washer forces that stuff tighter together so I tried using anything to pick it out with not great luck. End up taking skidplate off to clean it good. Maybe LoganB can give me a site or something where I can find out more on the skidplate foam and if the heat is a problem or not from air not passing by