PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Swingarm Bolt - I've got a new one for yah...

TREDZ71
02-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I've done my research and have NOT found the situation that I'm in....Here's the scoop:

Picked up a stock '04 450R. During my teardown, i've noticed that the swingarm pivot bolt snapped off (by the previos owner) at the nut-side...flush with the frame mount.

I don't know when it snapped....but it is rusted. I'm assuming the previous owner over torqued it and it snapped.

Here's the twist...I can twist the bolt EASILY with a ratchet. However, it will NOT budge. I've used a screwdriver, sledge hammer, hammer, wd-40....heat. All of it.

Any ideas what's causing this? Could the bolt be twisted? As I turn the bolt, I don't feel a bend....meaning that it doesn't get harder to turn at any particular spot.

Any ideas? If I were to cut it, what's the best route? Torch? Sawzall? I was thinking of cutting the swinger to create more room to cut the bolt...any ideas?

QuadRacer041
02-02-2006, 05:40 AM
the bolt is probably rusted to one of the sleeves between the motor and frame.use some penatrating oil(not wd-40).let it sit for a while then pound the sh1t out of it.if that doesnt work you while need to use a sawzall, and cut the biatch out.

TREDZ71
02-02-2006, 07:42 AM
If I take a sledge hammer the beat the living hell out of it....what are the chances that I will wreck anything else? motor? frame? This is assuming that I don't hit the frame directly with the sledge hammer.

Thanks.

NacsMXer
02-02-2006, 11:17 AM
I've heard that the frame rails on either side will start to spread apart if you beat on it long and hard :eek2: That would be using like a 10 lb sledge though, and wailing on it as hard as you could for 10 minutes.

Try soaking it with PB Blaster penetrating oil for about 20 minutes. Then, get a friend to help. Have them hold an impact gun on the one side and spin the bolt while you try to beat it through on the other side. I haven't had to resort to this ever, but i've heard that this has worked for many others. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to cut that mofo out :ermm:

TREDZ71
02-02-2006, 08:07 PM
well, after 3 days of soaking (WD-40, Royal Purple Lube, & PB), heating, pounding my as$ off...i've given up and cut the mutha fuc$*r...I actually cut the bolt and swingarm. the swingarm is in about 4 pieces now....unfortunately, i knicked the inside the motor casing...just inside of the kicker housing. i don't think it will affect anything....it's about a 1/4" long and about 1/16" deep.

FYI...I gave up after bending a 12" steel shank when pounding it with a sledge hammer. that's when i KNEW it was time to cut!!!

i'd like to thank everyone for your help. it's just too bad i had cut. well, i guess i now need to buy a new stock swinger....i will be putting a LSR with outlaw linkage for the race season....but i need to put the bike back to stock so i get my money back from my sponsor.

thanks again!!!

fast250r
02-03-2006, 06:24 PM
That is what I had to do to my R. I had to cut the swinger into four of five pieces and buy a new one. The swinger was bought off ebay for $40 and the bolt for another $40.

atvfreak400
02-04-2006, 05:24 AM
I had the same problem with mine and all I did was strip everything that I could away from the swingarm and cut the bolt in 2 or 4 spots I can't remember it was a couple years ago ,with a grinder with a rizer blade on it.

ex kid
02-04-2006, 04:05 PM
get a stainless pivot bolt too.

Fred55
02-04-2006, 04:37 PM
TREDZ71 where in Wisconsin are you?

TREDZ71
02-04-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm in Milwaukee. Where is Lancaster?

Fred55
02-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Southwest corner