PDA

View Full Version : 2 PC questions

400exstud
02-01-2006, 07:45 PM
1. When you clear/gloss coat aluminum, you have to clean it with acetone or iron/phosphate right? Or does that tarnish it?

2. When you clean parts with acetone or iron/phosphate you just wipe it on and leave it or do you need to wash that off too for better adhesian.

Thanks a ton

Pappy
02-01-2006, 08:05 PM
with polsihed aluminum, you can do a few differnt processes.

1, just clean it with a mild soapy detergent (dawn works) dry well and clear it

2) use metal wash from eastwood. i dont like this product as a pretreatment, but it does do a great job of cleaning polishing compunds and oils from polished parts. i mix up a bucket, dunk in the part and keep it wet for 10 minute sor so. then i put on rubber gloves and with a clean sponge wash the part in the metal wash. then rinse really good, dry and coat.

with clearing chrome or polished parts, the main goal is to keep the shine from dulling out. i prefer clear laquer over powdercoat simply because when it does finally oxidize, stripping the laquer off is mush easier and less harmful to the part.

you can use a zinc phosphate coating, but the rinse cycle must be with distilled water (dionized water) so no residue of the zinc phosphate or minerals from the rinse water are left behind.