PDA

View Full Version : making ATV street legal???

gabeg94z
02-01-2006, 11:37 AM
ok i want to make my pred 500 legal to ride on the street,what the hell do i have to do besides sreet tires,mirrosand lights, where do i go also, im in houston and everyone i talk to sucks, i know it is possible if you can legalize a mini chopper. any info helps,
thanks
gabe

fandl450r
02-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Well it's not going to be easy, I would first start off by checking local and state rules/regulations. Hit up the DMV and see what a "custom built motorcycle" can be licensed as and what are the requirements. It all depends on laws where you live.

wilkin250r
02-01-2006, 01:17 PM
It varies state to state. Most states have different classifications for "automobile" and "motorcycle", with different rules and restrictions for each.

For example, in many states, a "motorcycle" is anything with two or three wheels, while an "automobile" is anything with 4 wheels. That's all well and fine, but then comes the catch. Any vehicle classified as an "automobile" must have a windshield, while a "motorcycle" does not.

Under those restrictions, a quad would need a windsheild (because it has four wheels), while a mini-chopper would not, because it has two wheels and thus is classified as a "motorcycle".

Get the picture? You need to find the classifications for your particular state.

400exrider99
02-01-2006, 03:58 PM
you also have to get it insured

gabeg94z
02-01-2006, 05:04 PM
i keep getting the "its an ALL TERRAIN VHICLE AND IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN'' and they always say they cant give me the requirments for it either that it is against the law to release that info for something like that? im not quiting till it is down or im shut down by everyone.:D

250rAL
02-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Once it's set up for the road, it won't be much good for off road so why not just get a street bike?

GIXXERGUY6
03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by gabeg94z
i keep getting the "its an ALL TERRAIN VHICLE AND IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN'' and they always say they cant give me the requirments for it either that it is against the law to release that info for something like that? im not quiting till it is down or im shut down by everyone.:D

get on your states government site and check the revised codes. you'll get some answers.

go to the nearest state vehicle inspection station and talk to them.. don't piss them off just ask questions and say you are interested in having something someone else doesn't.

pastfast125
03-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by 250rAL
Once it's set up for the road, it won't be much good for off road so why not just get a street bike?

not really, if you keep the solid axle, then all you would need to do to go offroading, is put on some offroad wheels and tires, and have an easily removable windsheild peice that you could take off, then viola. ;) Only think is you can't really ride it to a place and then just turn off the road and ride, unless you are using dual sport tires.