PDA

View Full Version : The 440 kit in my quad

foxr
02-01-2006, 10:34 AM
i bought a 01 400ex with a IMS 440 big bore kit from a dealer used and they could not tell me anything about the motor as they didnt install the kit.

im just wanting to know some info on it before i got out and do any major riding with it, i want to make it reliable as possible as i am doing trail riding, and some of the time i will be going out by myself for long rides.

i think i seen the 440 kit comes in ethier a 11:1 or 12:1 compression. is there anyway of tell what ive got and any internal parts like crank, head studs, and head gasket? what octane of fuel do i need to run with this? around here premuim is 91 octane, is that enough?

what should i do to the motor to make it reliable as possible? i plan on adjusting the valves and changing the spark plug and oil/filter.

Thanks, please reply

Chino886
02-01-2006, 10:56 AM
get a compression tester, 11:1 and under, you can run pump but I would advise you to run 50/50 mix at 11:1....

There is really no way to tell what you have unless you tear it apart.

Hope that helps!

foxr
02-01-2006, 10:58 AM
i bought a compression tester ant it wont fit into the spark plug hole its to big.

also a 50/50 mix of regular fuel with what? and where do i buy it at? Thanks

Chino886
02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by foxr
i bought a compression tester ant it wont fit into the spark plug hole its to big.

also a 50/50 mix of regular fuel with what? and where do i buy it at? Thanks

sorry about that....

50/50 mix of 91 octane and race fuel....

I think they make an adapter for the compression tester.....

F-16Guy
02-01-2006, 03:47 PM
You don't need a compression tester to check the compression ratio. That checks PSI. You need to have the combustion chamber cc'd. You can do that yourself by taking out the spark plug, putting the engine at TDC (using the timing marks behind the plugs on the left side of the case), and filling the combustion chamber with a light weight oil. To do this, you will need a syringe or something similar to accurately measure how much fluid it takes to fill the chamber. You'll want to rock it a little to make sure there are no air bubbles. When you figure out how much volume there is in cc's, you can use a common formula along with other info, such as bore and stroke, to determine the true compression ratio of the engine. Anything else would be a guess unless you took it all apart and measured everything as it went together. If all you're worried about is spark knock, run a little super. If that knocks, stop and try 50/50 with race gas. If that knocks, then you're definitely higher than 11:1!! I'm guessing that if it's an IMS kit, you'll be able to run super in most situations, except maybe the dunes or racing.

foxr
02-02-2006, 06:15 AM
thanks alot for the replys!

what kind of place do i buy race fuel at and whats it called?

should i pull the head off and check to make sure there is Heavy duty studs in it and if not replace them? how hard is it to replace the studs after the head is off?

the quad is going to be used for trail riding only no racing unless its with some friends out somwhere in a field or somthing but no track riding/racing

blakefoote
02-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by foxr
i bought a 01 400ex with a IMS 440 big bore kit from a dealer used and they could not tell me anything about the motor as they didnt install the kit.

im just wanting to know some info on it before i got out and do any major riding with it, i want to make it reliable as possible as i am doing trail riding, and some of the time i will be going out by myself for long rides.

i think i seen the 440 kit comes in ethier a 11:1 or 12:1 compression. is there anyway of tell what ive got and any internal parts like crank, head studs, and head gasket? what octane of fuel do i need to run with this? around here premuim is 91 octane, is that enough?

what should i do to the motor to make it reliable as possible? i plan on adjusting the valves and changing the spark plug and oil/filter.

Thanks, please reply

I have a 11:1 piston and I run 93....it runs great

#8red
02-02-2006, 10:19 AM
yer' 440 kit should be very reliable - I've not had to touch mine in years and ride/race the hell out of it - if yer' not sure about comp. just use a 50/50 mix like he^^^said - and I know someone'll say somethin about this but I mix pump gas 50/50 w/ av gas from the airport - it's high octane and way cheaper than any "race gas" - I've heard alot of skepticale people about usin it - but I've (and alot of my bud's have been usin for YEARS - no probs