PDA

View Full Version : Are Hybrids a dying breed

Lethalhonda2
01-31-2006, 07:35 PM
How many have changed their minds on building a CRF or YFZ since the Honda 450,Yamaha and now the Suzuki came out? I would love to have one of those 50hp motors in a quad, but cant justify the cost of the project.Especially when you can buy a Honda,Yamaha and Suzuki for less. Anyway I just wanted to see how many have done the project and do you wish you had bought a production bike instead??

redrider311
01-31-2006, 08:55 PM
i dont think so.. i love my hybrid.. and i think you feel proud that you built your own quad from the ground up and youve built a quad that is just as competitive as any yamaha honda or suzuki 450...so i would like to see more of them made but i think the biggest thing is that people think that it is a like a year long bild that costs thousands of dollars which is very un-true.. it is a relatively cheap build compared to a brand new 450.. and the work is strenuous but by no means impossible or to hard for anyone with even the slightest bit of mechanical inclination

just my 2 pennies:p

2muchquad
01-31-2006, 09:40 PM
me personally i love building things.theres a sense of pride when i smoke a few "cookie cutter" quads with my cr 250 blaster.you just dont see too many 50hp blasters around:D talk about power to weight ratio.im almost always in the right gear,doesnt matter:) i think i love to tinker more than anything though,thats pretty much what it all boils down to.Besides working in the garage keeps me out of my wifes sight for a while:)

ill_lil_romey
01-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Im with 2much, I love to build things and experiment. I don't think that the hybrid is a dying breed because of so many guys like us, that love to tinker, experiment, and create custom toys. The way it looks though the quad motors will soon be right up there with the bikes.

ss440ex
01-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Redrider311,
I could`nt of said it any better!!!!
What a ride!!:D

Lethalhonda2
02-01-2006, 07:41 PM
i love my hybrid.. and i think you feel proud that you built your own quad from the ground up
I with you there!! I built a 400ex with a aftermarket frame,A-arms,swingarm ect which had more than I expected of custom work. And yes I do have alot of pride especially when I pull it up to the starting line because its mine, I built and even designed parts for it. I have a complete frame that hasnt ever had a motor in it and I keep thinking one of those 450 would sure be sweeet. Maybe I should pull the 400 motor out of the one and drop 450 motor in?????

jrd426
02-02-2006, 07:46 AM
no the hybrid is not a die breed.if you took the production rule out of the pro class alot not all but alot of riders would race a hybrid.yes they cost more but they handle,jump,and can be set up better since there are more optoins to adjust and so on.the only ones that would run a production bike are the guys that have a sponsership with a manufacturer.besides,they look alot cooler than a production bike.and we all know we are in this sport to look cool and chicks like dudes in helmets!!! :devil:

wilkin250r
02-02-2006, 08:36 AM
I would disagree.

To do a hybrid correctly, from the ground up, is indeed very expensive. You're looking at a minimum $2g for a frame, and close to $3g for motor, and that's just a stock motor, now you have to add modifications. That's $5,000 right there, and all you have is a frame and motor. For another couple grand, I can buy a complete running 450.

Sure, with any quad you have to upgrade a-arms, shocks, axle, and other little components like bumpers and skid plates. A complete race-ready hybrid is somewhere in the vicinity of $20,000 dollars. A 450 can get there with a mere $10,000.

Hybrids are never going to dissapear completely. There are always people that love to tinker. But I think they're dying off. It used to be that you needed a hybrid if you wanted a 50-hp quad under 450cc. Now you don't, you can get there with reasonable modifications to a stock 450.

jrd426
02-02-2006, 08:52 AM
but if you are a pro and going to be competetive in the gnc championship or what ever series your running your going to spend the big bucks anyway,so why not have the better bike.just my opinion

bwamos
02-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Because you can't. It's against the Pro Produciton rules. (I know you know theat.. You already said it. ;))

The pro production rules are the way they are to promote the Factories to sponsor ATV racing. Just a few years ago there was NO factory sponsorship, period. There was no need for them to. Everyone had a 250r or hybrid quads. Almost no one ran factory atv's because they stunk in comparison. The pro produciton rule forced the racers to use a current production atv, getting the factories into racing again. Thanks to that rule, we have the 450r, yzf450, and lt-r450, & z-400. That rule is the only reason these quads are around. Money = competition = innovation. ;)

jrd426
02-02-2006, 10:56 AM
i agree with you 110% but if you asked most riders they would choose a hybrid.

wboy62417
02-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Hybrids are not that expensive IF you know how and where to get your parts and you have to know what you are wanting to build. Now with ebay people can find just about any part they are wanting for a very reasonable price. A hybrid does not have to be ALL new parts.

dangle
02-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by wboy62417
Hybrids are not that expensive IF you know how and where to get your parts and you have to know what you are wanting to build. Now with ebay people can find just about any part they are wanting for a very reasonable price. A hybrid does not have to be ALL new parts.

This is true.... The price of buying a used 450 and mx'ing it is about the same as buying a used 400 and making it a hybrid if you wheel and deal..... There's certain things you can't skimp out on.. the motor is gonna run you at least 2300$ for you won't have to rebuild before you fire it up... Not counting having a PROFESSIONAL prep and gusset the frame. If done right it will be more than worth it... if you cut corners it'll be sittin on a bucket in 2months... With that being said... there is not that many people building hybrids anymore since the pro-production class but there kinda like banshees... can't go anywere without seing a couple..

Mike

Mike

Honda TRX250ex
02-02-2006, 06:58 PM
hybirds are like 2 strokes. not a lot of people have them but they will always be around

wboy62417
02-02-2006, 08:57 PM
I miss the 2 stokes :ermm: i had one untill i got my quad..........the only thing i hated about them was mixing the gas

2muchquad
02-02-2006, 09:32 PM
as long as there is a need for more performance than what you can buy stock,there will always be hybrids:)