PDA

View Full Version : Is this Bad?.......

BadA$$440
07-11-2002, 07:13 PM
I just got my elkas today but havent got to ride, i bolted them up and turned down the red anodized nut ( i think ride height) 14 threads. Whn i push down on the front end, it seem like the crossover is rubbing againts the threads making a weird noie, is this normal?

Wired
07-11-2002, 07:16 PM
aftermarket shocks work awsome, but sound like $hit. its perfectly normal :macho

Dave400ex
07-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Which ones did you get? Man does turning the nut down make it Sit Lower?

BadA$$440
07-12-2002, 02:13 PM
I got the Triple rates w/ remote rezzy and comp adj. Turning the red nut down makes it sit alot lower ( depends on how much u turn it ) bu does it effect theperformance of the shock cuz i might turn it back up?

cdalejef
07-12-2002, 02:17 PM
You should leave it alone till it breaks in for a couple rides then decide were you want the ride height to be. The way they are set when you get them is the way that Elka recommends that you run them.

Dave400ex
07-12-2002, 07:21 PM
Jeff I didn`t know there was a Break in. So we just mount the Shocks and ride them how they are until there is a few rides on them? I hope mine don`t need much Adjusting.

cdalejef
07-13-2002, 09:26 AM
They usually just need a little tweaking to set them to your taste's.

Ex'r Marlin
07-13-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Bad*****440
Turning the red nut down makes it sit alot lower ( depends on how much u turn it ) bu does it effect theperformance of the shock cuz i might turn it back up? I think this is just the opposite... Lowering the nut will increase the ride height, where raising the nut closer to the top of the shock will lower the ride height.

Anyway, to answer your question on the noise.... Yes, it sounds normal, especially if you are hearing it before you do a ride, but if you were out riding for awhile, I would make sure there is nothing caught up in there. I put WD-40 on the spacers (I have metal ones) to limit the noise, but most important, I have shock covers on these bad boys to keep the dirt out.

Dave400ex
07-13-2002, 11:59 AM
I have another Question. After every Ride I take my Shock Covers off and clean my Shocks and the Covers. When I get the Elka`s I will do the same, but is there anything else I should do to make them stay in tip top condition? Like WD40 or what? Thanks

Foxrage
07-13-2002, 12:20 PM
Ya do you take them off and clean them i thought thats what the covers are for? I would spray some WD on the nobs for safty.

Dave400ex
07-13-2002, 01:43 PM
No I don`t take the Shocks off, just the Covers because dirt and dust go throught the Covers to the Shocks so I spray all that off and clean them.

But I want to know what I should do for the Elka`s? Do I just need to Spray some WD40 on the parts to keep them nice or what?

Foxrage
07-13-2002, 02:36 PM
o alright Sorry about the miss understanding.

Dave400ex
07-13-2002, 04:28 PM
Not a problem. Taking the Shocks off after every Ride would be a pain. Plus they don`t need it that Bad.

Ex'r Marlin
07-13-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
I have another Question. After every Ride I take my Shock Covers off and clean my Shocks and the Covers. When I get the Elka`s I will do the same, but is there anything else I should do to make them stay in tip top condition? Like WD40 or what? Thanks The shock covers work great to protect the shocks from dust/water/and mud coating your shock shaft... Which ultimately will prolong the shaft life, but when you go through water crossings and/or mud, usually the elements still get through the covers and to your shocks... But not as much. I personally do not remove my shock covers after every ride... Only when I noticed that they need a good cleaning. I do not think that this is required, but I put WD-40 on the top of the shock where the crossover ring and spacers are to help reduce the noice from the friction of the spacers against the shock body that I may hear otherwise. Plus I think it may help reduce any wear of the spacers and the threaded shock body. Note: I do not spray WD-40 on the shaft. I also check the compression knob for any resistance. If I notice any, I remove it with an allen wrench, then clean it with WD-40... This is such a simple and quick maintenance. (Just be sure to put the knob in the same position!)

I highly recommend the shock covers, even on the rear shock! If you already have shock covers, they should fit your Elkas ok, they did for me, both front and rear. (Unless you go to them "long" travel front shocks, then you might have a problem getting them on).:rolleyes:

07-13-2002, 11:22 PM
be carefull with the wd40 gazillion uses product.

Wd is good for many things but as long as I have been using it I can think of only one that its great for (not having to buy many other products since it does so many things ok or 1/2 @ss) , and using it as a lubricant is one of its worst uses.

There is more diff crap in WD then just about any lube I can think of. Problem is that all of the other stuff fights against the lube properties of the product.

I would be much happier using something like super lube or TRi-Flow (harder to find but stays put longer) with PTFE. I have used both these products before and they out perform WD40 as a lube by more times than I want to type zeros.

So try out something else and what a difference it makes.

And I refuse to take off the covers and clean up everyhting after every ride, not that i have not done it but not going to that often either.

Dave400ex
07-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Well I ususally take the Covers off, clean them, clean the Shocks and then Windex the Shocks. So besides spraying stuff on the Crossovers which will I need to do that because they should be Plastic, and taking the Compression knob off is there anything else? When you take the knob off does it just come off with the bolt and then you clean it and put it back on? How do you make sure it`s in the same place as it was? Thanks

JEFF, Can you help with what to lube the Shocks with if not WD-40? Thanks again

Ex'r Marlin
07-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
When you take the knob off does it just come off with the bolt and then you clean it and put it back on? How do you make sure it`s in the same place as it was?Mine has a what they call a set screw, which uses an allen wrench to loosen the contact of the screw to the compression adjustment shaft. It is fairly easy to dismount the knob with the allen wrench. (The shocks come with the required allen wrenchs, and a bar to rotate the shock ride height nut). As for putting the knob back on where it was is still fairly simple... Just line up the set screw where you see the indentation it left before... Piece of cake. Just make sure if you rotated the adjustment, that you have both front shocks set to the same setting. Rule of thumb is to turn the adjustment all the way to the left (as to mock loosing a bolt), and then set it to how many clicks you prefer... If any. Again, I find these shocks very easy to maintain... No problems to date.

BadA$$440
07-14-2002, 12:13 PM
I never got a bar to adjust the ride height. I have to adjust it by hand. I just got an Allen wrench to loosen the two screws in the red nut. And i didnt get shock covers. Was i suppose to get those items or are do you got to get them yourself. I have my regular shock wears on from the stockers for now.

Ex'r Marlin
07-14-2002, 04:45 PM
When I got my Elkas is December, they did not come with any tools. When two of my friends received theirs, they came with it. I was told you can call Elka up and they will forward the tools to you if you did not receive them... I never bothered.

I also did not receive the manual (They did not have that available when I purchased mine), but I did call them, and they forwarded that to me!:cool:

Dave400ex
07-14-2002, 04:53 PM
Well when I get them I will check them out and see how everything works. I just want to keep them as new as possible.

Foxrage
07-14-2002, 08:27 PM
When are u suppose to get your Warriorman and where did u order them from.

Dave400ex
07-14-2002, 08:54 PM
Scott told me 4 Weeks starting last Saturday so I got 3 more Weeks at the most. I hope I get them sooner. I got them from Full Throttle MX. Scott has been Great and trying to help me as much as he can. Plus he has matched all other Prices so far.

BadA$$440
07-15-2002, 11:24 AM
I got mine from the Quad Shop for $735 to my door. It took about a week in a half to get here and i live in Fl

Dave400ex
07-15-2002, 12:51 PM
I think I will get them Faster then 4 Weeks, I hope.