PDA

View Full Version : Burgard A-arms??

Mitch400EX
09-29-2001, 06:36 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any experiance with Burgard A-arms. I'm considering Burgard simply because I can get a good deal on them. I've done some racing, but I mostly play ride. When I play ride I ride pretty hard and jump like theres no tommorow. I want to make sure Burgard A-arms can stand up to this. Also, has anyone had any experiance with PEP triple rate shocks? I'm considering these also. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mitch
00' 400EX FMF pipe, Renthal bars, Busted Works front shocks

trx400ex
09-29-2001, 07:20 PM
i have burgards, and they are excellent, dont get peps, get the tcs shock it is better

Foxrage
09-30-2001, 10:15 AM
I like the Houser a-arms. From what ive heard. The peps are petter than the tcs. They are alot harder to get ahold of but they are awsome. If you already have works you can get tcs to convert them into a tcs shock wich would be cheaper. Go to Kandkatv.com

004exkid
10-01-2001, 02:31 PM
The old stlye tcs shock has better valving(shim stack) than the pep. Im not sure if there is a new style pep but most are works shocks with better valving(different piston ?)The new tcs's are alot higher quality-- 5/8 shaft ... same as elka. Although setup is probally the most important thing. I think pep really has that down (have head nothing but good). I am currently riding elkas and am happy with them but the setup could probally be better --but im not done playing around with them yet.

10-08-2001, 10:50 AM
Works piggy back pro series come with 5/8 shaft compression and preload adjusting,,,best bang for the buck over the other 2 mentioned and cheaper..

Mitch400EX
10-08-2001, 12:33 PM
I used to have works triple rates W/O rezzys up front. One of them bound up in mid air, bent 90 degrees upon landing, and ripped the lower mount off. That is basically the reason I'm getting new shocks. I'm not going to go with works again unless I can find a killer deal on a set of them.

Mitch
00' 400EX FMF pipe, busted Works shocks

10-08-2001, 12:41 PM
were the shocks setup for your wieght and riding style??? Just sounds odd that a shock of any type would do that under normal riding conditions...

trx400ex
10-08-2001, 03:32 PM
rico i plan to buy the proseries , since i have discovered as you said is the best bang for your buck espesially if you dont have to revavle your rear, if you do spend anothe 400 and got with tcs...any chance youll get some before i do so i can have a review, i dont think any one else on here has em. i might try on the BT board though

Mitch400EX
10-08-2001, 04:55 PM
Yeah, they were set up for my weight, riding style, etc. I jumped all the time, the highest I ever went with a flat landing was probably 8 feet. I also had a season of racing on the shocks, the jumping and the racing is probably what contributed to the failure. I didn't have the Pro Series like you, I just had the regular triple rates. Here is a picture.

Mitch
00' 400EX FMF pipe, busted works shocks

10-08-2001, 05:38 PM
That is more like 85º bend:blah

callen74
10-08-2001, 07:32 PM
Mitch400ex,
Here is a picture of Burgards on my 400. So far they have performed great and still look good even after a year and a half. They've held up great to jumps and the balljoints (which seem to be a problem on other a-arms) have also held up. I would highly suggest getting them especially since you can get a deal on them. Also, my friend had the same thing happen to one of his front Works it turned out that his a-arm was bent and caused the shock to bend like that.

Mitch400EX
10-08-2001, 08:49 PM
A bent A-arm would make sense as a possible cause for killing my shock. but if my A-arm is bent it is a really small bend because the arm still looks straight. I'm going to investigate it further to see if it really is bent, and i'm gonna check out the other side to make sure that one is ok! Those Burgards look awesome. And yes upon extensive review I think the shock is a 85 degree bend haha. Thanks to everyone for their help!!!

Mitch
00' 400EX FMF pipe, and the picture above explains the shocks

trx400ex
10-09-2001, 08:14 AM
that bumper makes them look killer...i got the powdercoated ones...

Tommy 17
10-09-2001, 02:23 PM
dam i bet that shock will out perform any other ones i mean its a custom bend to 85*. ok all jokes aside now seeing that made me wonder now if i should buy those shocks or just save a little more for the not having to worry about bending them..

10-09-2001, 02:32 PM
Well that's not a common problem,,,,,1st time I've ever heard of it happening,,,don't really know what would cause it,,,:huh

Just remember,,,400ex stock frames, swingarms, and A-arms are prone to break, bend, crack, etc,,,but that hasn't stopped any of us from buying them..just something to think about.

400exRacerX
10-09-2001, 06:25 PM
Don't get the burgards if you jumps big, one of my motocross buddies busted a pair of burgards at the track a couple of months ago and the a arms were only 2 months old, they were under warrenty so he thought it might have just been a defect on his a arms. well anyways he got the new pair, a month later guess what happened? the a arms broke again at the ball joints. the reason why burgard a arms are so cheep is because of the material they are made out of and the corny, cheep, and small ball joints that they come with. Some good brands of a arms that have bigger ball joints that are alot stronger are, laegers, denton, and of coarse the front end that everyone dreams of the lobo front end. But if you arent getting serious air and don't plan on going big i'm sure they would hold up i guess.

trx400ex
10-09-2001, 07:56 PM
i know a moto xer who has burgards, and theyve held up wonderfully..hes broken his swingarm....stock, and aftermarket axle(lonestar).....works shocks, stock aarms, and a bunch of other stuff, looking at mine, i see that they are more heavily constructed than the stockers and the ball joints do not look bad, i am running stock shocks now which would pose a problem if i jumped but untill i get aftermarkets i will only jump lightly, plus its winter anyways.....just out of curiosity, what type of shocks was your buddy running? i sure hope mine dont break easy and as for the cheap pricethey are more than housers and jds,,,,,i have a hard time believing they break that easy

trx400ex
10-09-2001, 07:57 PM
hey callen, do you jump big? how have your arms held up as far as structer and ball joint problems? thanks

400exRacerX
10-10-2001, 05:59 PM
My buddy races Expert class A, Open class. and he was running TCS zero preload shocks valved for +2 a arms. I'm not talking about small jumps niether, He hits 65ft-85ft doubles. And believe me they broke twice in a row and they broke clean right at the balljoints.

trx400ex
10-10-2001, 06:14 PM
dang, i havent even rode on them yet.....i think ill only be jumpin 70 feet far at the most....did burgards warranty them any???? i better get some good shocks too hmmm maybe there were just 2 defective ones.....i hope mine dont go

400exRacerX
10-10-2001, 06:27 PM
yea burgard warrentied them, he broke two pairs then got the 3rd pair and sold them off ebay and bought different a arms.

trx400ex
10-10-2001, 07:28 PM
good ,thank you, that was the same idea i had with the durablue axles

callen74
10-10-2001, 10:45 PM
trx400ex,
My a-arms have held up fine so far. Burgard makes a good product and a few may break but that's true with anything. Alot of people around here use them and I've never heard of any breaking. I would just make sure that they are tight and in line with the spindles. Mine used to work their way loose and I could see where that would cause extra stress and maybe break them.