PDA

View Full Version : Everybody Check This Out.

Raptor430
01-31-2006, 06:23 PM
What does everybody like and not like about the 450R and like and not like about the yfz. Can't decide which i want. Thanks

bikerinblack51
01-31-2006, 07:10 PM
well i have a 05 450r and i like it alot. i seems small an more like a bike than the yfz. there very easy to handle since they seema lot lighter and smaller than the yfz. its ur choise tho

Raptor430
01-31-2006, 07:40 PM
I just can't decide if i want a yfz or a 450R. I want the yfz for the power and looks but the r for reliability. I just can't decide which one i want.

NaiLBoMB64
01-31-2006, 07:51 PM
my 05 makes good power

305400ex
01-31-2006, 07:56 PM
I just dont like the feel of the yfz (still think its an awesome bike). Being 6'3 I felt the 450r was more comfy for me.

UbeenSmoked
01-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Put it this way look at all the Pro`s/people who once rode the YFZ and then now they are on the honda and they all like it better. but really wuts feels more comfortable to ride for u

01-31-2006, 08:09 PM
i dont like how the YFZ's are made by yamaha and that they spontaneously combust http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p94b6c540f5bda58d42a8bc37560c87e1/f84d6cf0.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid200/pff82b2e6666273cd3af884df96e74943/f075fe06.jpg

One_Bad_400
01-31-2006, 08:16 PM
HAHAHAHAHA that was good... ya... a YFZ caught on fire at one our local tracks last year... lol...

450R
dislikes:... i cant really say there's anything i'd change on the R

YFZ
likes: strong motor(but hard to keep strong) medium comfort
dislikes: it breaks to much, the engines are hard to get running right all the time,

DEFFINATLY go with the Honda... you will be so much happyer in the end...

Toadz400
01-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Ask over at YFZCentral.:D

Actually they'd probably give you a more honest opinion than this site.

Ride both of them and decide for yourself, no one else can really make the decision for you.

And MixMasterMike, how many damn times are you going to use that picture???

m1ke
01-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Yeah really why are U asking someone else to make your decision. And I have a question: how the **** is a quad supposed to feel comfortable.... its not a cadillac.

Toadz400
02-01-2006, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by m1ke
And I have a question: how the **** is a quad supposed to feel comfortable.... its not a cadillac.

Well after you get long travel all around it does:D . I think what he meant by comfortable is that the position you are in when you are riding it, standing up or sitting down, isn't too cramped or you're not big enough for it to feel comfortable for you. Some taller/bigger people feel that the YFZ is too small for them so they feel a lot more comfortable on the 450R.

KRMit
02-01-2006, 06:58 AM
I made the decision based on reliability. Locally, I've seen YFZs fail under normal riding and TRXs take crazy abuse. Other than that you'll just have to ride both and see what you feel better on.

Toadz400
02-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by KRMit
I made the decision based on reliability. Locally, I've seen YFZs fail under normal riding and TRXs take crazy abuse. Other than that you'll just have to ride both and see what you feel better on.

Amazingly I seem to notice the exact opposite. Of course in every case the machine that breaks down is because of failure to maintain it. If you take care of both of them they are both equally reliable.

Raptor430
02-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Well i've read about the yfz's having the crank problem and the 450R's have the shift forks break. I haven't heard of any yfz's around here doin it, but my cousins yfz messed up. it may of been the stator problem though. i forgot what all was wrong with it cuz he sold it. But one of my friends has one and its perfect. I don't hear of many problems with the 450Rs down here cuz not very many people have them. By the way, i'm not asking anybody to make my decision for me "m1ke", i'm asking people to tell me what they like and don't like about the bikes, not to make my decision. And i can't ride both of them, cuz i rode a yfz a long time ago, but forgot if i liked it, and i don't know anybody that would let me ride a 450R. I like the looks of the yfz more, i'd rather have the power of the yfz, but i don't really wanna take a chance at the crank problem. It mainly comes down to this....
450R-looks and reliability, can't remember if i like ergonomics............not sure about the power
YFZ- power, i think i like the ergonomics, and looks......not sure about reliability.

I would rather have the yfz, but i want reliability though and i don't know if i will get one of those that are gonna screw up.

If this would help any, would the 450R be good for freestyle. Which bike would be the best for motocross, little bit of trails, and freestyle?

450Redrider5
02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I like the 450r alot but one thing that i hated was that the seat and throttle on the yfz are so stiff. the honda's 10x better

m1ke
02-01-2006, 05:00 PM
I've heard of 5+ incidents about 450R honda TRX450R cranks, thrust washers going, rods breaking in 1-3 places, and crank bearings go. They all have their crank problems. When you think about it, the engine is a single cylinder, low compression engine which is constantly running at rediculously fast RPMs, the slightest defect will cause a massacre in the engine. Like cars, some are better made than others from the same factory much like the old saying "if your car was built on friday it's probably a lemon. And sometimes that is true, I've seen it. Not to mention Honda's new 400ex drops itself into reverse while in the forward motion, that, to me is just as bad as a crank problem. your whole bottom end would go kaput resulting in a major repair. So there you have it. If you like the honda, by all means, buy one. Have you thought about a Polaris predator? Those thing's are nuts. I'd buy one if the price was right.

But I still wonder why you would ask the Honda riders if you should buy a YAMAHA or a Honda? :macho

Mike,:D

clutt225
02-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I bought the trx partialy based on reliability. Bad move I rod it twice and now have it tore down for winter check over and found major crank issues. It was a properly maintaind low hour quad.
A friend bought a yfz that was just rebuilt and didn't check the motor during last years winter rebuild and two weeks before the first race it blew up. So if you want reliable, my experiance is stock 400ex or stock z400, don't buy a race bike they are not reliable.
my 2 cents

Raptor430
02-01-2006, 06:26 PM
listen to me. i'm askin them what they like and dislike about the yfz and 450R. So "I" can make my decision. i'm not asking them to, i'm just wanting to know the goods and bads about each bike.

alaskin 450R
02-01-2006, 06:26 PM
i dont see what everybody is b****in about. its your own opinion, if somebody doesnt like yamaha so be it or the other way around. i'd say for the guy asking about a yfz over a R i would tell him or her to go with what ever bike he/she wants. see if could test ride both, and figure it out on your own.

m1ke
02-01-2006, 07:48 PM
I would have to say in my observation of the racing quads, the 450R/YFZ, they are not built to go for years of problem free operation (what is?). I believe they were built for people who race/rebuild alot much like the CRF which requires a rebuild after 30-50 hours (says honda dealer). Just an observation, though.

Half the reason today's **** does not last is because the manufacturer needs for you to wear-out what you have, so you'll buy new. If everything was made for long-lasting, they would be some screwed. :p

KRMit
02-02-2006, 10:11 AM
I haven't ridden a YFZ much in stock form, so I can just tell you what I've heard. The YFZ and '06 Honda are about equal in power, but the YFZ takes the nod in the handling department out of the box. I was planning on building a full race quad when I made the purchase so stock handling wasn't much of a factor to me. Personally, I've seen Yamaha be MUCH more unreliable than Honda but I've heard stories of Hondas going out, so I dunno.

Your best bet would really be to ride both or at least sit on both and see what feels more comfortable. You should be happy either way.