PDA

View Full Version : worn cylinder rings

jeremy_283
01-31-2006, 05:18 PM
i took my 2005 400ex to the shop and found out the piston rings were worn and a little bit of oil was getting past them. My friend just got a brand new 06 and stock it was just as fast as my ex with the pipe and jetting and hotcam and i was wondering if the piston rings caused much decrease in performance?

dunny_mark
01-31-2006, 05:36 PM
I would say you would lose compression and that would make you lose power. Plus all that oil is burning up and getting all in your engine and blowing out your exhaust. REBUILD!

JOEX
01-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Are you saying your friends quad is just as fast as in top speed?

jeremy_283
01-31-2006, 05:46 PM
no i dont mean top speed i mean acceleration

wilkin250r
01-31-2006, 05:48 PM
It's possible. I would expect the hotcams to give you a little more acceleration. It's hard to give you a definitive answer because I don't know exactly how bad your rings were worn.

If your motor is apart right now, throw a high-compression piston into it. That will give you a bit more snap off the bottom, and would compliment that hotcam very well.

m1ke
01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Worn rings already? :huh

jeremy_283
01-31-2006, 06:37 PM
guys i got a 2005 400 in april and you have no idea how much i ride i have no life outside of my quad besides friends i ride my quad with and then there is thinking about quads, researching quads, reading dirtwheels, sleeping.....depending on the daylight i ride rightnow about 4-6 each day after school and about 11-6 weekend days dont stop much either tends to burn up my clutch plates goin around a track for a strait hour without given my quad a break..................... so yeah their worn out already

JOEX
01-31-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by extremejrowe
guys i got a 2005 400 in april and you have no idea how much i ride i have no life outside of my quad besides friends i ride my quad with and then there is thinking about quads, researching quads, reading dirtwheels, sleeping.....depending on the daylight i ride rightnow about 4-6 each day after school and about 11-6 weekend days dont stop much either tends to burn up my clutch plates goin around a track for a strait hour without given my quad a break..................... so yeah their worn out already
WOW!:eek2: That's alot if riding!:eek:

What kind of oil are you using and how often do you change it? Adjust the valves recently?

jeremy_283
01-31-2006, 06:53 PM
i dont change it often enough......... about once every two weeks........ and to tell you how stupid my friend is his quad he got in december and he still has not changed the oil or gotten any check up done on it

jeremy_283
01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
i use honda gn4 oil 10w-40w and on weekends if im riding at my house i usually do take breaks about every 30 mintes .... crap i only own .98 acres of land but i manage pretty much low 3rd or high second gear track

humblesquirel21
02-01-2006, 01:29 PM
thats how i rode when i had all my trails since i moved i dont have as much time to cut trails to ride on but i still ride every night for at least an hour even now (except in deep snow then i bust out the recon with bared tread in the rear) i put on so many hours in the 3 years ive had my quad (o3 300ex) it has about as much time on it as quads twice its age but that said i run full synthetic (i know some of u have issues with it but i have run it for 2 of the three years ive had it and its formulated for super bikes)