PDA

View Full Version : Trade School

Honda TRX250ex
01-31-2006, 04:09 PM
In a few years im getting out of college and i would like to go to a trade school for auto mechanics and construction. I dont have good enough grades to get me into a good college and my parents dont have the money. I need help here. Does anyone go to a trade school? What is it like? Do you learn all you need to know to make it out in the real world.

BTW
Heres my opions on what to do.
Go to a trade school.
Join the marines or army.

i need help guys please.

knighttime
01-31-2006, 04:16 PM
if you have an interest in mechanics and fabricating things I'd go to trade school. who knows, you could be the next jesse james.

if you prefer a real regimented life and want to go visit places like the middle east:ermm: , maybe the military is the way to go. the military offers alot though, dont get me wrong.

if it was me, i'd at least try out trade school. you always could later say screw it and enlist in the military later on.

mrusk
01-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Join the services! They will teach you how to be a mechanic! Thats the best training you can get!

rollie
01-31-2006, 04:36 PM
i dont go to trade college, but i got to a vocational High school and they have auto tech auto body electrical and all that, im in plumbing right now because my dad owns a plumbing company, you learn ALOT about the trade and such:cool:

Hyperwarrior22
01-31-2006, 05:12 PM
you should check out vo-tech schools you learn alot for the "real World" we have the biggest one in the USA

Honda TRX250ex
01-31-2006, 05:19 PM
do you need good grades to get into vo tec schools or the severives?

bulkdriverlp
01-31-2006, 05:29 PM
diesel tech

01-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
do you need good grades to get into vo tec schools or the severives? By your spelling it looks like that would be a deal breaker.

reichart90
01-31-2006, 05:33 PM
look into a vocational school

then if you want to, you can go somewhere like PennTech after highschool, its like the best technical school in eastern pa. check it out. im checking it out on leave...

im a mechanic in the navy. im a nuke mechanic on submarines and f'in hate. highly recommend NOT doing it. theres so much crap and blah i dont even want to talk about it. i hate hate hate it. haha. military sucks @$$ in my opinion. talk to a lot of people before even thinking about it. a buddy of mine was a mechanic on planes in the air force stationed in oklahoma and hated it too.

Honda TRX250ex
01-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
By your spelling it looks like that would be a deal breaker.
yeah sorry i spelt one word wrong...

Honda TRX250ex
01-31-2006, 05:47 PM
i was thinking about going into the marines or the army because you get your college paid for and all that other stuff. but i dont know yet...
i like diesel engines and trucks but i rather not work on them. i wanna stay toward cars and ATV/Dirtbikes. do any of you guys know any tech schools near northeast PA and do they have a website?

01-31-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm going to vo-tech next year and my senior year for auto mechincas. I actully just went on a feild trip to the school today an it seems really good, the teacher said it was 50% classroom and 50% working on the cars and motors and stuff.

TheFontMaster
01-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Right now I am in a Vo-tech school for auto body. It is just basicaly an extension of high school. My home school pays for me to go to the vo-tech school. I am top in my class in auto body, but in the couple classes I have that are regular classes, I don't do the greatest, maybe mid 70's. A couple months ago I had an interview with the local rep from WyoTech, I filled out my aplication, and now I'm going to the PA campus in Blairesville PA in october. The impression I got from the rep was that the big thing the trade school looks for is the drive to make it in the industry. There are people like me that will have 2 years of vo-tech training that are going there. But they still let in people that haven't barley touched a car before. With me I was told with my grades in auto body that I was a shoe-in, I just had to pass high school. Kinda long, but I hope it helps some.

red2004 TRX450R
02-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Erie County Technical School
Erie Institute of Technology
Erie Business Center
Great Lakes Institute of Tech
J H Thompson Academie
Tri State Business Institute
Triangle Tech

ballz2thewall
02-01-2006, 01:33 PM
I am a 63B ( Wheeled Mechanic ) in the army. Granted I do one weekend a month two weeks a year, but work for the DOD M-F. I already owned my own house and two new vehicles and some toys. I would do it again if I could. Not bragging but I am a few cents short of 20.00 an hour! Look into the service!

Honda TRX250ex
02-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by ballz2thewall
I am a 63B ( Wheeled Mechanic ) in the army. Granted I do one weekend a month two weeks a year, but work for the DOD M-F. I already owned my own house and two new vehicles and some toys. I would do it again if I could. Not bragging but I am a few cents short of 20.00 an hour! Look into the service!
is there a site i could go to to read on some more?

sly400ex
02-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Apply for an apprenticeship for a trade, that's what I would do. After 5 years of apprenticeship plus class time, most trades in my area pay in the $35 /hr. range plus great benefits too.

IOWAracer
02-01-2006, 04:06 PM
I am looking in to diesel mechanic i already ahve a promise for a job when i turn 18 at ups making 14 an hour right now i am making 15 to 20 in the winter clearing streets and lots for the city

reichart90
02-01-2006, 07:12 PM
www.pct.edu

thats penn tech's website

in williamsport
place is awesome

CowsBitePeople
02-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Igo to sussex vo tech for diesel Tech.... Its great, learn alot in there, my second year there and i have a job as a mechanic locally so im on the coop program now. My boss is very impressed on how much i know. I actually tought my co workers about diesel's and they are ase certified in auto.

450RGNCC
02-01-2006, 08:40 PM
If I was going out for auto tech, I would def. go to Penn Tech, that is the best place and I know people who go there and they love it. however, i am going for motorcycle tech at York Technical Institute (YTI) next fall, because I live near it and its a good school.

ballz2thewall
02-02-2006, 05:24 AM
What type of information do you want? I can tell you to work for DOD you have to have a army reserve membership ( be in the reserves )!

Honda TRX250ex
02-02-2006, 06:08 AM
sorry for being a pain in the butt. i want to know like if the school is a good school and if i will get any degrees. Am i better off going into the army reserve or somthing?

ballz2thewall
02-02-2006, 06:13 AM
I can say this much, when I graduated my school I was looking for a job and went to Mack trucking and they asked me if I had any degrees and I said no, but I just went through deisel mechanics for the military and they actually wanted me to start the following week, but then I figured I would rather stay close to home and started for the DOD.

Davids440ex
02-02-2006, 06:26 AM
i'm currently attending wyo tech in west sacramento, by this time next year we will have a bunch if new classes since they are building a new building right now, you take a main course and two elceltives that you specialize in, for me i'm taking auto tech alng with high performance enginges and chasis fabrication. i might stay longer and take asm, which is a business managment class, i like it so far.

www.wyotech.com

Honda TRX250ex
02-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by ballz2thewall
I can say this much, when I graduated my school I was looking for a job and went to Mack trucking and they asked me if I had any degrees and I said no, but I just went through deisel mechanics for the military and they actually wanted me to start the following week, but then I figured I would rather stay close to home and started for the DOD.
Whats the DOD?

ballz2thewall
02-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Department of Defence!