PDA

View Full Version : Starter about to go?

bigtallguy75
01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
I have a 300ex and today when I tried to start it, it acted like it was having trouble turning over and some smoke came up from under the seat. So I took the seat off and watched and the smoke was coming from one of the rubber o-ring looking things on the starter. There was also a small burnt area around where the smoke was coming out. I used to have a toggle switch (which I replaced today) mounted on the plastic and last time I was out riding I bumped it on accident and the starter was spinning for probably about 2-5 minutes before I noticed that it was on. So, is my starter about to go or is there a way to fix it before it completely breaks. Oh, when it does work ok the engine runs fine, its just on like every third start or so that it has a problem. Thanks.

bigtallguy75
01-31-2006, 08:32 PM
Is it even possible to burn through the o-ring in one spot like that? What would cause that? Anybody?

m1ke
01-31-2006, 09:57 PM
If it was running for 2-5 mins you definately did some damage!

02-01-2006, 07:43 AM
may have a bad connection/low voltage.

low voltage cranking can f things up big time.

m1ke
02-01-2006, 02:00 PM
is it possible you burned up the brushes in the starter? those will make your starter weak as sh1t.

bigtallguy75
02-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I got a new starter off e-bay (I love e-bay) for a good price and put it on today. I didn't know there was a gasket on the gear reduction cover until I had it off, so I had to put it back together with the old one on. Will that hold or should I get a new one on before I go riding? I started it and there was no leak that I could see. Also, when I removed the cover the gear fell out on the ground, I cleaned it but if I missed some dirt or grass is it likely to cause any problems?

humblesquirel21
02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
get a new one for sure it can do major damage with out it heres alittle tip though go down to your local federated/advancd/whatever auto store and buy gray liquid gasket works as good or better than a gasket make sure when u aply it u put it on both sides of a bolt hole i use it for most of my gasket replacments works great i have never had it leak