PDA

View Full Version : '00 400EX starter problem

TRXman86
01-31-2006, 08:22 AM
what are the chances that some teeth are gone from either starter shaft, or the flywheel? the kid i bought it from said it just needs charged but when i put on boost with battery charger, she would just spin like shaft wasnt even engaged? could be that to. i am needing some area that i can start to maybe fix this with out buing a new starter or taking to shop.

thanks for help!!!

RYNO-tough

underpowered
01-31-2006, 09:59 AM
sound like if may be your starter clutch. the starter is a direct drive, no bendix like a car, so it the starter spins it mean something else is wrong. th only sure way to tell is to take off the side cover and see if any gears are missing teeth . if not then my best guess withoug looking at it would be the one way starter clutch.

TRXman86
01-31-2006, 09:14 PM
turns out it was just the battery. i put the charger on it for a while today while i was working on it. i also cleaned all the battery cable ends and re-taped the connectors. worked! still has a dead spot though so some of it may be what you said about the teeth.

the cover you were talking about, is it the small round one with like four small bolts? never had to get into them to much so all the help i can get will be greatly appreciated!

thanks for the help!!!!

Ryan