PDA

View Full Version : hot start on an er?

Lil90man!!
01-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Ok, i was just thinking, seeing as how so many people are having problems with the e start and getting it to start, i haven't heard a good solution except for a huge battery, if the hot start works on the kicker version why couldn't you put the hot start on the er? would it make it start any easier?? because that seems liek what is wrong with the bike, my bike fires fine cold, warm it up and you can crank for 15 seconds sometimes before it fires, not good for xc with a dead engine start unless you race of the line with the motor still cold.. if anyone has any suggestions or ideas about weather this works or a good way to get the bike to start when its warm, lemme know, because i'm stumped!! when the bike ran like crap(backfired so bad on decel it sounded like a rifle) it started fine, now that its running like it should, it won't start when its warm.. :mad:

eganracing
01-30-2006, 09:20 PM
the thing that bugs me is that u cant touch the gas while the starter is on. if u do it instantly kills the starter because theres a sensor in the thumb throtle. i was thinking if u took out that sensor it would be easier to start. but i dont know for sure.

ieatglue
01-30-2006, 10:07 PM
thats funny. when its cold out i pump the throttle while trying to start and the starter never quit.:confused:

eganracing
01-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by sponge_bob
thats funny. when its cold out i pump the throttle while trying to start and the starter never quit.:confused:

what year do u have?

ieatglue
01-30-2006, 10:56 PM
06 they don't have a sensor. the owners manual says to hold the throttle wide open with the engine run switch off and crank it over if its flooded. if it had a sensor then that would not be possible. its on page54 of the owners manual.

eganracing
01-30-2006, 11:03 PM
then what is the ckicking sound i here in the thumb throttle and what r the wires going into the thumb throttle?

Traindog71
01-31-2006, 06:18 AM
most likely a throttle position sensor to change timing advance mapping for the CDI, just a guess though, Yamaha has TPS on their 450, just assuming Honda does also

KRMit
01-31-2006, 07:00 AM
Adjust your mixture screw and you can probably make it easier to start. Try going 1/8-1/4 turn leaner.

Lil90man!!
01-31-2006, 01:28 PM
if i go leaner on the pilot it backfires like none other on decel.. actually its still a bit lean but if it i go any richer i can't get it to start at all when its warm.. its almost like it eithers gonna be able to start and run like s*$% or run great after you can get it started, pretty crappy deal on a 2 week old bike.. :@...

KRMit
01-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Have you done anything to the carb like replacing the needle?

Lil90man!!
01-31-2006, 03:38 PM
yea right now it has a hole in the back of the box similar to the hrc kit, the baffle removed from the muffler, 48 pilot jet, 3 turns out on the mixture screw, 06 crf adjustable needle 4th clip from top, 162 main, 55 leak jet, ummm.. thats bout it i think.. o and when its warm it backfires and shoots a blue flame about 6 inches out the exhaust after you shut it off and try'n crank it over again, just the first time it fires, am i still to lean on the pilot, seems like its running some on deceleration and everything.. i dunno, i'm starting to get confused, and tips on what i should change to get this thing running right would be appreciated..

KRMit
02-01-2006, 07:02 AM
It sounds to me like you still need to richen that mixture screw. As for the backfiring on decelleration, try raising the needle a clip.