PDA

View Full Version : octane booster good idea

416 racer
01-30-2006, 05:49 PM
my buddy put outlaw octane booster in his stock 400 i have a 416 wiht high comp pisto with 11 to 1 comp hot cam stage 2 and full race ported and polished with a white bros pipe can i use this to

NacsMXer
01-30-2006, 06:09 PM
It won't raise the octane enough to act like high-octane fuel. The octane booster you can buy in a store is a waste of money. You need to run REAL racing fuel for that 11:1 piston. At least run a 50:50 mix of premium and race fuel if you cannot afford to run straight race fuel.

underpowered
01-30-2006, 06:16 PM
for 11:1 compression you dont need to run race fuel. just run the premium fuel from the local gas station. you will actualy lose power from running to high octane of fuel. dont run race fuel unless you need it. as for the octane booster, waste of money. not worth it for any reason.

Rip_Tear
01-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
It won't raise the octane enough to act like high-octane fuel. The octane booster you can buy in a store is a waste of money.

Just wondering why it is advertised like it is then? I asked this question a long time about, about using it. But never thought to ask why it doesn't work?

wolffie
01-30-2006, 06:24 PM
DO NOT USE "OCTANE BOOSTER" FROM THE STORE! just get premium gas. i have had bad experiences with the stuff from the store, and it ultimately resulted in some major carburetor cleaning because of how bad my carb got gummed up (this was in my old 350 raptor) stick wiht the good stuff from the pump, and dont waste your money on that horrible booster stuff:D lol! good luck!

NacsMXer
01-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
for 11:1 compression you dont need to run race fuel. just run the premium fuel from the local gas station. you will actualy lose power from running to high octane of fuel. dont run race fuel unless you need it. as for the octane booster, waste of money. not worth it for any reason.

True you will actually lose power with too high of an octane than needed but...
tis' better to not pre-detonate than to risk pre-detonating on premium. It's his choice, but I wouldn't run anything less than 50:50 race fuel and premium.

You guys are probably right that premium will do fine, but I like to play things safe ;) All gas is not made equal..

Some gas stations still use the single pump handle. So if you push the button for premium, then someone before you could have bought regular 87. What's left of that 87 is going to be the first thing to go into your tank before the 93 starts to come out...
You can tell by now i'm a little paranoid about these things :blah: Still not entirely impossible.

416 racer
01-30-2006, 06:45 PM
well is this a good idea i run a galon of 93 octane and a gallon of turbo blue 110 octane is that good

NacsMXer
01-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah you would definitely be cool running that. My stupid buddy used to run straight Turbo Blue in his stock (piped) 400 and it ran fine.

The lead is a plus for the valves and also boosts octane.

underpowered
01-31-2006, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer

All gas is not made equal..

Some gas stations still use the single pump handle. So if you push the button for premium, then someone before you could have bought regular 87. What's left of that 87 is going to be the first thing to go into your tank before the 93 starts to come out...

very true, a motorcycle magazine did a study on that an fount that the hose will actually hold about a gallon of gas. when you are only getting about 2-3 gallons that is alot. i try to find a station with separate hoses or at least a pump that the previous user used 93 on.