PDA

View Full Version : How Should I QUIT!?

ShiftFMX
01-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Ok, So Ive been working at Sam's Club for about 3 months, and thats all I can handle! The managment just $hits on the associates! Anyways, I have an interview at the Marriott (hotel) tomorrow, and it is sounding really promising! So anyways, heres where I need the help, Sams club knows nothing about me quitting. I'm wondering how I should do it, I hate the place with a passion, but I dont want to be a TOTAL dick! My Supervisor is really nice and I feel bad to just quit on him, but I gotta do it. If the Marriott needs me ASAP, then i'm going...whether im scheduled to work at sams or not. I dont just wanna go in there on a day that Im scheduled to work and be like, "sorry, find someone else."

Anyways, you guys get the drift...HELP ME OUT!

Btw, Sam's makes their schedules 3 weeks in advance, so waiting is not an option, and dont worry, Im not telling sams any thing till I have the new job for SURE!

coolex
01-30-2006, 04:57 PM
give ur 2 week notice or do what i did after working at market basket for a week and tell them that it is not working out and you have to much in your schedule to be working there

Rip_Tear
01-30-2006, 05:06 PM
I'd hint to your Supervisor maybe that you're not happy, so he kind of gets the idea, just so you don't feel so bad, he'll have some idea. Sometimes it's hard to quit, just because you don't want to hurt some people but you can't say anything till you have another job lined right up...

2004exrider
01-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Just tell them that they have been really great to you but you have found a greater opportunity. If you can, give them 2 weeks notice, that way if you dont like the marriot you might have a chance of getting back in the sams club again.

Kinda off subject but damn that place is fancy, i had to stay at a marriott a while back for 3 days i felt like the beverly hillbillys:o , they even had a cement pond there! Good luck though.

Jimmy

ShiftFMX
01-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
Kinda off subject but damn that place is fancy, i had to stay at a marriott a while back for 3 days i felt like the beverly hillbillys:o , they even had a cement pond there! Good luck though.

Jimmy

Yeah...Hopefully they can pay well too!!

bulkdriverlp
01-30-2006, 05:37 PM
be nice, you will need them for a reference for many years to come. dont burn any bridges

Guy400
01-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Most employers will be wary of a possible new hire who's so willing to dump on their current employer. The best thing you can do should you get the job is tell the Marriot thank you and then discuss the hire date. When that topic is brought up tell them that if at all possible you'd like to give Sam's Club a 2 week notice. The Marriot will respect you for that courtesy.

wilkin250r
01-30-2006, 05:49 PM
I'll echo Guy's comment. When asked about a hire date, tell them that you would like to give 2 weeks notice to your current employer. If they want/need you earlier, then discuss your options.

If/when they ask you why you are looking to leave Sam's Club, do NOT tell them that you hate them, or they are a bunch of idiots, or they crap on their employees, or anything bad. Just say "I'm looking to move in a new direction."

Camaroguy87132
01-30-2006, 05:55 PM
come in late one day, and when they ask you where you were, tell them you were at a job interview.. works for sure

Bush0102
01-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Just come in on your next shift and shoot all of your managers/supervisors and a few of your coworkers for added effect. You probably won't be scheduled anymore after that.

ShiftFMX
01-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Camaroguy87132
come in late one day, and when they ask you where you were, tell them you were at a job interview.. works for sure

That might happen tomorrow, Interview is at 11, and im scheduled to work at 1 :macho

jwick07
01-30-2006, 06:23 PM
What type of position are you applying for at the Marriott? Let me tell you that hotel/motel work is not that great at all. I have worked in this field 5 years now. I'm currently a general manager for Comfort Inn in Junction City Kansas. Guest will walk all over you the same as your current job and you can do nothing back at all. With the internet age in hotels its easy for the guest to get in contact with people that will fire you quickly if guest feel you were even rude to them. Durning the winter months hours get cut hard to save money because the work load just isnt there. Many boring nights. Right now im pulling 16 hours straight. At smaller hotels like this one I'm at now if an employee doesnt want to come to work there are few employees to call in to get a replacement. I went 7 weeks straight before I got 2 days off on the 8th week. Some weeks i get none. Always on call. A hotel never closes not for anything. So if you schedule an employee to work a Holiday and then they decide they want to go home instead they will not tell you they are not comming to work and then your plans are automaticly cancled because somebody has to be there 24/7. Pay is not good either for entry level employees either. Dont get me wrong the work is not hard physically but mentally it can be the hardest job you will ever have.

ShiftFMX
01-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Right Now, they have a new system they're trying to start where, instead of the customers calling all over the hotel to get their needs, they call one person(ME), and I page someone on a radio to do whatever(i.e. I call housekeeping top send a pillow to room 400). I dont really plan on staying there for too long either, because I will hopefully getting back into heating and cooling soon. Thanks for your input guys, keep them comin!

jwick07
01-30-2006, 07:45 PM
I was the operations manager last year for a Holiday Inn and have only been a General Manager for 6 months now. I have a degree in Criminal Justice and worked my last two years of college in the corrections feild and I'm now in the process of filling out all the paperwork and testing to get on with the corrections dept for my county. Just had enough.

LTZ400rider
01-30-2006, 10:58 PM
make sure you dont get fired or quit until you know you have the job. tell them you dont want to work or give them a notice that way you can put that down for future refferal when finding a new job

SGA
01-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
Just come in on your next shift and shoot all of your managers/supervisors and a few of your coworkers for added effect. You probably won't be scheduled anymore after that.

Bah ha! Best laugh all day!:D

Heybo
01-31-2006, 06:44 AM
Stand up and be a man. If you get the new job, tell them that you have to give notice to your old job first. They will respect you more. Then go to your boss at your old job and tell them that you have a better opportunity and give him your two week notice. He will respect you more and you will get good references in the future. He might even tell you to go ahead and go to your new job if it is available. My philosophy is "Do the right thing, it will come back to you in the end."

4punksdad
01-31-2006, 11:18 AM
an alternative to the traditional 2 week notice is the new 2 day notice. I am quitting 2day. :)

PHAT400
01-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
an alternative to the traditional 2 week notice is the new 2 day notice. I am quitting 2day. :)

NICE!

If this is the beginning of your adult work career... be cool to everyone you work for... don't bad mouth them to anyone..

I started in the tire business in 1987... no college, started working right out of school. Yhe guy I worked for was not exactly the best dude to work with. He would micro-manage and put big fires out way to late.

I quit twice and each time I was able to go back becuase I was good at what I did and showed promise (to the owner) I never once talked ill of this guy to anyone even though I still to this day cringe when I run into him.

Well needless to say, if he had not given me the job (again no college) I would not be making the killer living I am today. I have many opportunities to do things and meet people that I only dreamed of as a kid.

I still thank him even though I wanted to choke the crap out of him each time he opened his mouth.

BTW, I made 24k the last year I worked for him (8 yrs() and I* thought that was good in 1995.. well, uncle Sam pulled that out in federal tax last year.. You could say I am comfortable..

Quite simply..

DO NOT BURN YOUR BRIDGES... EVER.

If I were a jerk to him he would not have given me a great recommendation to the company I work for now.

Be cool man.

:D

Dan_Guetter
01-31-2006, 03:50 PM
There is a video of a kid who wanted to quit at the home depot.....if you find that on the net, do it like that guy...lol

jk

AtvMxRider
01-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad

LOL do they give you a notice before they fire your ***???? NO!

400exrules
01-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by PHAT400
NICE!

If this is the beginning of your adult work career... be cool to everyone you work for... don't bad mouth them to anyone..

I started in the tire business in 1987... no college, started working right out of school. Yhe guy I worked for was not exactly the best dude to work with. He would micro-manage and put big fires out way to late.

I quit twice and each time I was able to go back becuase I was good at what I did and showed promise (to the owner) I never once talked ill of this guy to anyone even though I still to this day cringe when I run into him.

Well needless to say, if he had not given me the job (again no college) I would not be making the killer living I am today. I have many opportunities to do things and meet people that I only dreamed of as a kid.

I still thank him even though I wanted to choke the crap out of him each time he opened his mouth.

BTW, I made 24k the last year I worked for him (8 yrs() and I* thought that was good in 1995.. well, uncle Sam pulled that out in federal tax last year.. You could say I am comfortable..

Quite simply..

DO NOT BURN YOUR BRIDGES... EVER.

If I were a jerk to him he would not have given me a great recommendation to the company I work for now.

Be cool man.

:D

so basically.....showing respect and honor will take you a long way

4punksdad
01-31-2006, 09:25 PM
do what feels right.............and don't look back

PHAT400
02-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
so basically.....showing respect and honor will take you a long way

Yup, I guess IO could have saved us all the time and just said that right...

LOL:ermm:

jwick07
02-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Well today I gave a 2 month notice to my boss. this company has given me great opportunities since I was 16 years old. This was my third time working for them. (once was an internship).

I have decided to leave the Hospitality business for good and go back and use my college degree of criminal justice. Next week I'm going to start the long process of applying for the county corrections department. It will take nearly two months to get on with them but I'm sure that I will make it. Once I'm at the corrections department that will free up more time for me ( i work near 60 hours a week right now and get paid for 40) to go to a votech school and get a motorcycle mechanics degree. From there who knows. I'm as nervous and excited as a person could get right now. Also a little sad knowing that I can never go back to this company that has helped me so much in my life.