PDA

View Full Version : how do i pop ball joints out?

WhiteYFZ
01-30-2006, 03:05 PM
i know there compressed, bet is there a trick to get them out on the a arms? for a yfz450.. or just hit them with a hammer ?
thanks

fandl450r
01-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Ball joint separator would be where I would start. Pick one up from a local auto parts store. Or they make a tool, I think Motion pro makes one.

Over-land 450r
01-30-2006, 04:14 PM
yea get the tool make sure u get the right size. its real ez to do.

Pappy
01-30-2006, 08:31 PM
the ball joint forks are seal killers, avoid them if possible.

I shock and motion pro make a tool, i usually turn the nuts around backwards and use a small piece of 3/4 inch solid inbetween the ball joints. i then loosen one of the ball joint nuts and the pressure applied thru the spacer pops them out.

Chino886
01-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

i usually turn the nuts around backwards and use a small piece of 3/4 inch solid inbetween the ball joints. i then loosen one of the ball joint nuts and the pressure applied thru the spacer pops them out.

I don't know how many times I have read this, but I just don't understand it.....I can't picture it so I can't figure it out....

300exOH
01-31-2006, 12:15 PM
Here's a good explanation of the method pappy is talking about. It works great.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14945&highlight=ball+joint

Chino886
01-31-2006, 12:20 PM
okay, I follow you up to the point where you start to untighten the nut...do you take the first nut off then go to the socket....that is where I get confused.....:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

300exOH
01-31-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
okay, I follow you up to the point where you start to untighten the nut...do you take the first nut off then go to the socket....that is where I get confused.....:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

You just take both nuts off and turn them upside down so you don't mess up the "castle" part of the nut. Then you put the socket between the two nuts and loosen one until the other pops loose. Then just add a washer or two and repeat to pop loose the other nut.

redrunner
01-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Light taps on the side of the spindle will also help "shock" them loose.

300exOH
01-31-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by redrunner
Light taps on the side of the spindle will also help "shock" them loose.

Yeah. That'll help too. Just make sure you don't beat on them especially if they are aluminum spindles. A dead blow hammer would be best. It also helps to put pressure on the a arms while doing this.

Chino886
01-31-2006, 01:29 PM
By George, I think I've got it.....:o

redrunner
01-31-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Yeah. That'll help too. Just make sure you don't beat on them especially if they are aluminum spindles. A dead blow hammer would be best. It also helps to put pressure on the a arms while doing this.

Yep that's what I meant,

What up Scott?:)

Chino886
01-31-2006, 01:32 PM
I tried the wack it method......worked like the 6 Minute Abs video! :D

WhiteYFZ
01-31-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Here's a good explanation of the method pappy is talking about. It works great.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14945&highlight=ball+joint

THATS A GOOD idea. I did it, bit only managed to get hte top a arms off on both spinples..
so my dad drove me to a car repair shop, and this guy had a air impact gun, and he put it on the screw, and it popped right out... are the tie rods compressed in there as tight as the a arms? i think im gonna get the inmact chizzle thing.. its neat

300exOH
01-31-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by tjespo22
THATS A GOOD idea. I did it, bit only managed to get hte top a arms off on both spinples..
so my dad drove me to a car repair shop, and this guy had a air impact gun, and he put it on the screw, and it popped right out... are the tie rods compressed in there as tight as the a arms? i think im gonna get the inmact chizzle thing.. its neat

The tie rod ends should come right out. Did he use a forked attachment on the impact to remove the balljoint? If so this could damage the boot. With the method I described above you will have to add length to the socket using washers or even another socket in order to get the other nut on the lower balljoint to pop loose. It works but it takes a little trial and error.

WhiteYFZ
02-01-2006, 10:53 AM
yea, the picture you posted of that spindle, is a lil different than mine. mine is on a slant and isn't as easy.
and no he didnt use the fork attachment

300exOH
02-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by tjespo22
yea, the picture you posted of that spindle, is a lil different than mine. mine is on a slant and isn't as easy.
and no he didnt use the fork attachment

Yeah. I've never messed with a yfz so I wasn't sure. At least you got it figured out.