PDA

View Full Version : Snowcross

nwi45
01-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Snowcross is definitly my new obsession. I've recently gotten really into it. Could anyone give me a rough estimate on how much a sled set up to jump would run me?

bigbadbrad
01-30-2006, 01:12 PM
most new sleds are up around 7-10g and to get it comp ready you would probally be looking at another 3-5 g and maintance will probally be about 2g a season

Quad18star
01-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Are you just a beginner at snowcross or have you done any before??

You can pretty much go out and buy either a 2005 or a 2006 Ski-Doo MXZX 440 and race it bone stock . They're built for racing from the factory , so you don't have to strengthen the tunnel or do much clutch work , etc . I don't know about in your area , but up here it's nearly impossible to find a 2006 MXZX 440 because you have to submit a racing resume with results from the previous year in order to get your name on a list for one . Some dealers send in bogus resumes just so they can get a few in to sell to the public . You're best bet is to buy a used 2005 .

As far as cost of maintenance , it all depends on how hard you ride the sled , how big you're jumping and how hard you're wrecking . A a race sled you have to run high octane fuel ... so figure out the price of 110 octane or higher . You'll probably be rebuilding the engine every couple races also ... price out pistons . Belts blow under hard racing .... some guys can blow 5 belts in 1 day of racing ... times that by $75 and it can add up .

The most common add-ons are handlebars , different size lugged tracks , studs , skis , carbides . Some guys go and totally upgrade the suspension and either add or eliminate idler wheels on the rear . It can get costly .... it's hard to put an exact number on something like this . It's possible to buy a used sled thats ready to race and in good shape and only have to replace a belt or 2 and re-ring the pistons a couple times per season .... or you can be tearing down the engine every weekend .