PDA

View Full Version : Chain Slack

Sportrax 400EX
07-11-2002, 08:59 AM
I adjusted my chain last night and have a few questions. Before I did it the lower part was pretty tight and it has a good bit of slack on the top part. After I adjusted it the lower part has some slack and so does the top. Is that correct? Is the 1 inch of slack your supposed to to have for both lower and upper part (1 inch of slack each, total or 2 inches) or the two combined (1/2 inch of slack each to equal the total of 1 inch). Thanks for the help.

Doibugu2
07-11-2002, 09:31 AM
If you check in your manual, it says you should have an inch of slack at the top of your chain. You don't adjust for what is at the bottom.

Sportrax 400EX
07-11-2002, 10:14 AM
Thats what I thought to, so that's how I did it. But should there be slack on the bottom? To test it I puched the back in down to see how tight it got. With the back end almost completely bottomed out it was pretty tight on the top and bottom. Should I do a little more slack?

D.

07-12-2002, 11:26 PM
If u will have a friend check for u while ur on the quad it makes a world of difference..because i had my chain adjustd just right while no one was on it and when we where ridin my friend told me to tightin my chain..so i got off and checked it and i told him it was fine....so then he said sit on the quad and look at it,and i was like alright and it was pretty tight with some one sitting one the quad........................................just my 2 cents worth

Glamis400ex
07-13-2002, 07:03 PM
I try to put an inch slack in my chain with me on it. The reason for the chain to have weight on it is, when you jump and land, the suspension compresses, tightening the chain. If you adjust the chain without being on it, and hitting a big jump, it could put to much tension on it and snap it.

Glamis

daredevilearth
12-12-2005, 07:41 PM
What if my bearing carrier doesnt turn. Got any suggestions or tricks to break it loose? Thanks for any input.

Glamis400ex
12-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Are you kidding me? Someone responded a 3 year old thread about chain slack?

Glamis