PDA

View Full Version : Where do i start

BigSexy
01-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Ok guys i just joined the forum and i should be picking up my 06 YFZ in about 10 days. i was just wondering where i should start as far a mods go im just looking for some of the must does.
a little back ground im 6" 140lbs im not planing on racing or anything just doing a little of everything, trail rides, MX tracks, dunes. i road race an R1 and have riden all types of biks for years i use to do a little racing quads when i was like 8 on an 80 im 26 now so its been a while sense ive been on a quad
any help will be great keep in mind im not looking to spend a fortune on this

brink400
01-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Well the biggest thing you can do is to put an aftermarket exhaust on there and take the airbox lid off. You could also ditch the stock air filter and get a K&N for the best flow. Make sure you rejet when you do all of that.

jbplayfz450
02-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Bigsexy,
There are tons of mods that you can do to your new quad. But, the best advise anybody can give you is to ride it before doing anything to it.

Quads are different than bikes, I'm sure you can handle the power with no problem. But quads take some riding to get to know what they do and dont do. Then, after a few weeks of riding, you might want to change things on it.

Maybe start with new bars, then tires, then maybe a steering dampner. The best advise is to get the quad to handle the way you like it, then do some go fast mods.

BigSexy
02-01-2006, 04:19 PM
jbplayfz450
that sound like some really good advice im changing things up alittle bit though i maybe getting the LT-R450 instead not 100% yet on witch one i will get but either one will be great
thanks again

250r4life
02-01-2006, 10:52 PM
i think one of the very first things i would do is to switch out the gay stock filter. i hate how on the raptors and yfz (i'm unsure about the others) they have the foam filter that you just kind of set in there. it is very easy to not get it positioned exaclty right, and that is a quick way to suck sand/dust. so one of the 1st things i would do is get one of the pro flow clamp on filter kits (get a uni or a K&N, whatever you want, but just get a clamp on instead of the stupid set in ones)... from there exhasut is always one of the biggest gains, and my buddy even had pretty good success with taking the baffle out of his 06 yfz for a while before he got his HMF pipe.

PurePerformance
02-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I would do the free mods first. Cam mod, throw the airbox lid away and the pea shooter. If you have the cash, I would go ahead buy an exhaust, intake and a flywheel.