PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Red Exhaust Header

BigVince
01-29-2006, 09:36 PM
I need help..

The guy at the dealer told me that the exhaust pipe was going to get cherry red. I didn't like hearing that... but thought that it might be right...

But.. this thing gets really really red.. it's way too hot to be safe...

Is this the way its supposed to be or what? Please help. My idle is way off too. When i pull up to a stop.. it just jumps in RPM's. The bike will also stall out if i give it gas at idle sometimes...

I don't like the way this relationship has started out...

YFZ450 2006

hokes
01-29-2006, 11:24 PM
These carbs are built that way. If you push the throttle quick off idle, 9 out of 10 its gonna do that. Rev it just a little off idle, then you can slam it down and go. It's something you just got to get used to. I believe there is something in the carb you can bypass to get rid of the problem.

As far as the header goes, it will glow. The temps coming out of that cylinder are extremely hot. The thickness of the header is pretty thin. It is natural for it to happen. I have taken rides at night, and you can see that sucker glowing like a neon light. I am jetted a little rich and it is still happening. Its no big deal.

I would recommend that you do a little research and learn how to jet if you dont already know how to. They are always a little lean off the showroom floor.

Ben

BigVince
01-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Thanks...

i appreciate it...

BigVince
01-30-2006, 10:10 AM
I found the other posts regarding this topic... thanks

Rrider4life8
01-30-2006, 05:23 PM
if its burning red it jetted to lean. I should burn an orange color

yfz450rida
01-30-2006, 09:23 PM
The glow from the header is normal especial when its new. they all do. as for the trottle problem off idle does it cut completely if it does its probably ur TPS(throttle positioning sensor). mine would cut out ehn i touched the throttle and the TPS was bad. u can take it to a mechanic and they will bypass it but don't say nething it is illlegal to do. the TPS is a safty feature to prevent to carb get stuck open with no throttle. i just bypass mine with no further problems. see how that works for u?

400exrider36
01-31-2006, 06:20 PM
i remember my 400ex did it with the dual headers. how i found out about it is at night i could see all under me and i couldnt figure out how my headlights could shine underneath me so i look at the pipe and its bright red/orange.

i have had my yfz's pipe glow bright all the way to the canister, but that was only because i was cruizin through snow at high rpm... and my pants will start on fire if i dont wear boots.