PDA

View Full Version : airbox cover

rooster_20
01-29-2006, 08:45 PM
does anybody have one of these? How well do they work? Like to buy one need some info thanks

rooster300ex
01-29-2006, 09:15 PM
I asked about this not to long ago, and when i got mine i put it on and now i don't have to get the sand out of my airbox after every ride.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=203630

motoboy66
01-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Buy the outerwear, but do it this way using your stock lid. Those will come off if you use the velcrow they suply.

whiteflash
01-29-2006, 09:26 PM
or buy the ehs lid

www.ehsracing.com

rooster_20
01-30-2006, 08:56 AM
but the ehs lid is 50 bucks! how did you do yours motoboy66?

motoboy66
01-30-2006, 10:17 AM
It is the stock lid. I just cut it out, used the outer wear you see in the first post, some aluminume flashing, and a few pop rivits. I was worried about the outerwear unravling, so i put superglue and masking tape around the edge, befor i pop rivited it on. This cost me the cost of the outer wear, and a dollor or two more. The good thing about this is that the stock lid is very cheep, so if you ever needed an uncut one, it wont set you back too much. This has worked very well for me, keeping the mud and water out. I also had no chioce but to do this as i took my snorkle out of the airbox, and sealed the hole with a leftover frosty beverage can. The aluminum can be bought at any hardware store, I found mine in the roofing section. Hope I helped out.

QuadRacr57
01-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Why wouldn't you just get an Outerwears for your airfilter, it will do the same and will get more air into the engine, cause even if you cut the airbox cover, it is still restricting a little bit more air, or isn't it enough to change the performance of your quad? Cuase im thinkin about doing this too, but i was wondering this. does someone have the answer? Thanks

-Mike:macho

NacsMXer
01-31-2006, 03:30 PM
It doesn't actually restrict as much as you would think. The holes in the Outerwears are much larger than the pores in the filter. The job of the Outerwears is not to filter fine particles like the filter, it is to block large pieces of mud/dirt and add a layer of water repellency.

I actually run an Outerwears on the filter itself, as well as another Outerwears on the airbox for the ultimate in protection.

underpowered
01-31-2006, 04:30 PM
i just have one on using the regualr velcro. i dont think it will come off i have hauld it on and open trailer with the rear plastic off without any problems. it is definitaly worth it, helps out alot in mud riding.

NacsMXer
01-31-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
i just have one on using the regualr velcro. i dont think it will come off i have hauld it on and open trailer with the rear plastic off without any problems. it is definitaly worth it, helps out alot in mud riding.

The velcro tape that comes with it is real cheapie stuff. Mine is starting to come off after a couple years of use. It is ok for a little while, but once the water and dirt gets under there it's all over. Simple fix, i'm just going to replace the velcro tape with some 3M velcro tape (much stronger adhesive). Mine's just coming off on the ends of the tape from all the removing and reinstalling.

rooster_20
02-01-2006, 06:09 PM
thanks motoboy66 i will prob use your idea. The velcro would make me worry while i was ridin. QuadRacr57 i dont know about everybody else but when i ride giant chunks of mud would prob get in my airbox if i didnt have the lid thats why im doing it. jmo

QuadRacr57
02-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Yea, im goin to go with NacsMXer's idea, with the double protection. Thanks man

-mike

450RGNCC
02-01-2006, 07:42 PM
I put one of those on my 250r, and hated it, the velcro was crap, I was planning on doing what motoboy66 did, but then I got my 450r, so I didnt worry about it

rooster_20
02-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Another question motoboy66 how did you cut it that clean?

motoboy66
02-01-2006, 10:04 PM
I just used sharp sizzors to cut it. I also cut the aluminum with sharp sizzors its very thin stuff just remember to put something on the edge tape and superglue is what i used, this will keep the threads from running

Barney
02-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Curtis Sparks sell one for $15 you cut a hole it's about 4"X5"
in your lid and it velcros on and is outerwares.