PDA

View Full Version : New to the R

87-250R-racer
01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Well I picked my 87 R up saturday and I have a few questions about it already. I noticed it's missing the top headstay, do I need this or not? What keeps the front plastic tight on the frame by the petcock there seems to be a pin on the frame and a hole in the plastic and it slides in it. Is that right?
It has a LRD pipe on it, are they any good, good for MX?
Why does the pipe leak around the seam, and where the silencer meets it. I'm sure i'll have more ?s later.

01-29-2006, 07:54 PM
I will try and anwser these for you.

1. You can run with out the top headstay. I would recomend you get one, but you can run with out it. If it has a 265 or spacer plate the top headstay may need to be modified to mount up.

2. There is a rubber grommet that goes into the hole on the plastics. One grommet on each side. Those grommet push over the pins sticking out on the frame.

3. LRD makes a good pipe. Everyone has their own opinion on pipes....like everything else, but in general LRD is a good one.

4. There should be a rubber boot that covers this joint between the silencer and pipe. For a cheap fix you can remove the silencer, then use a little red hi-temp RTV. Then reassemble.

Hope this helps

mikeminyard
01-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Cascade innovations also makes a sweet collar for the pipe that goes over the joint that works really well. It is billet aluminum and has a high temp rubber hose inside of it. I got it for $30.00 and it hasn't leaked since.

Cascade Innovations (http://www.cascadeinnovations.net)

part number EXC-12-25R