PDA

View Full Version : Those 3.8 v6's?

Ryan
01-29-2006, 06:05 PM
I recently bought a 1993 Lincoln Continental for pretty cheep, considering the head gasket was blown. Otherwise, everything works in the car.

Im puttin a new head gasket in either next week or the week after. Im curious about the 3.8 v6. I wanna know if this motor has any balls at all. I checked on the computer and it said it had like 160hp :confused: .

Does this car have any power? Or is it like driving a boat? :confused:

user101
01-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Its not a motor for "hot rodding" if u know what I'm saying. It'll get you where you need to go.

honduh440
01-29-2006, 06:15 PM
they tend to blow a lot of head gaskets

wvspeedfreak
01-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
they tend to blow a lot of head gaskets

Actually,the factory gaskets are weak and I have seen alot of them blow.However,once you replace them with a quality gasket like Fel-Pro they rarely have any other issues.

nowukno
01-29-2006, 07:13 PM
I had a 3.8 Camaro and it was pretty quick but nothing to brag about. :ermm:

honduh440
01-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Actually,the factory gaskets are weak and I have seen alot of them blow.However,once you replace them with a quality gasket like Fel-Pro they rarely have any other issues.

well that sums it up

wvspeedfreak
01-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
well that sums it up

I thought so

Out_Sider
01-29-2006, 07:39 PM
ford's v6 is not as quick as chevrolet's v6 (200hp compared to 160hp) In the mustang the 3.8l is a dog(unless it's equipped w/ a 5 speed, that helps the motor some) so i'd imagine it'd be about the same in your car.

Ryan
01-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I was kinda hopin I could make my lincoln a sleeper :o :p . Ofcourse that is with a few aftermarket mods.

Its sad my friends bmw 525i has 190hp vs a 3.8 with 160hp. My car is probably gonna be a gas pig, also. :o :p

justin_yfz450
01-29-2006, 09:15 PM
My mom had a camaro with a 3.8 in it and it had 280,000 miles on it and it still runs today (after she sold it) We see it occasionaly.

Butters
01-29-2006, 09:31 PM
ok well if you really want to, you can build that v6. they have really good potential, and that block is really tough. i think yours is a single port, and they are notorious for blowing head gaskets, but once you replace it, you won't have to worry about it again. you can make the 3.8 really quick, cause i have seen v6 mustangs run 11's. don't let anyone fool you, v8's do have more potential and start with more, but v6's have tons as well. i know super six performence has what they call a powerpack, which comes with a cam heads and ported upper and lower intake (that way you can also do a split port conversion) that will give you 80hp. after that there is a guy who makes turbos for them or there are prochargers, vortechs, and powerdyne superchargers for them. i saw a tma twin turbo setup, that ran a low 11 if i remember right.

http://www.3.8mustang.com/
tons on this site. though it is for mustangs, it is the same motor.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/
good cam, heads, and intake site

http://www.tmaturbo.com/
Andy does good work with these turbos

those are some good sites that deal with the 3.8. if you want more let me know, cause i am currently doing stuff to my 3.8 mustang. it should be pretty quick for an auto v6 mustang when it is done.

hoser 400ex
01-30-2006, 10:16 AM
my gtp has 3.8 but of course thats supercharged !!! and very quick!:blah:

Ryan
01-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the good info, butters!

Butters
01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
Thanks for the good info, butters!

no problem. if you ever need to know anything about the ford 3.8, let me know. if i don't know it, i know someone or some site that does. i also know tons more sites like i said with all sorts of high performence parts for the sixer. i just think it is really cool that someone would want to build this motor, cause it has awesome potential, so i'm here to help, especially since i am doing it myself.

Ryan
01-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Well heres a quick question.

My guess is the lincoln's motor has lower hp numbers, due to the mapping? Im thinking if I put a different chip, I could probably gain alot of horsepower.

Its not really a small motor. I know its got alot of potental, but im curious of where its at?

Im definitly not gonna put a supercharger, or turbo in it. Don't really wanna do that on a high mileage car.

Titanium
01-30-2006, 12:24 PM

My guess is the lincoln's motor has lower hp numbers, due to the mapping? Im thinking if I put a different chip, I could probably gain alot of horsepower.

Its not really a small motor. I know its got alot of potental, but im curious of where its at?

Im definitly not gonna put a supercharger, or turbo in it. Don't really wanna do that on a high mileage car.

What year is it. if it's not too old u can go to http://www.vehix.com

quadrcr161
01-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Butters
no problem. if you ever need to know anything about the ford 3.8, let me know. if i don't know it, i know someone or some site that does. i also know tons more sites like i said with all sorts of high performence parts for the sixer. i just think it is really cool that someone would want to build this motor, cause it has awesome potential, so i'm here to help, especially since i am doing it myself.

those motors migth have potential, but in that big of a car its not going to get out of its own way. just drive it and save for something with some actual performance.

Butters
01-30-2006, 01:57 PM

yeah due to the age it probably has a lot lower numbers. your best bet is to get a tuner instead of a chip, that way you can change shift points other things like if you change gears. though you car is heavier, you can still make it have some get up and go. if you have the time and money i would rebuild it and do the heads, cam, and intake package.

Ryan
01-31-2006, 07:10 AM
Thats probably what I will do. Im not lookin for this car to be fast, I just want to push a little bit. Anything quicker than the 2.5 4 cylinder dodge motor that im driving now.

I should have that car on the road by next week or so. I'll grab some pictures this weekend. I think its pimp! :o :p

K_Fulk
01-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Unless you get teh supercoupe 3.8 there not very impressive.

I know a guy that built his 3.8 in his mustang, ran a 15.0 flat. :p

quadrcr161
01-31-2006, 09:14 AM
again dont waste your money, the thing is a tank, you can build it as much as possible but that little v6 hauling around a 4 door isnt going to outrun anyone, maybe a metro, but you wont be ruling any streets. i mean who would be scared of this? :p
http://www.carbase.com/pic/COUNTRYFORD/416781_438715_250.jpg

Butters
01-31-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Unless you get teh supercoupe 3.8 there not very impressive.

I know a guy that built his 3.8 in his mustang, ran a 15.0 flat. :p

must not have had much of anything done to it, cause they do that stock.