PDA

View Full Version : Motor Pullin' Tips???

TREDZ71
01-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Hey everyone. I just picked up a stock '04 450R and am really close to pullin' the motor. I noticed that the motor is a bit taller than the top frame rails. Are there any tips on gettin' this thing out? Will I need to lean the motor forward to slip it out?

Any help would be much appreciated.

humblesquirel21
01-29-2006, 07:24 PM
im about to pull mine and heres my plan of attack (a 300ex but i think itll be the the same ish

1 make sure absolutly every tiney thing is un pluged screwed and buttoned
2 make sure u have a place to set it
3 un bolt the engine mounts
4 tilte the bottom of the engine towards u and the head down and away
5 pull up and slid ethe engine out
6 set it up right on your holding place

thats my plan i have pulled many an engine but never a quad engine jsut golf carts and garden tractors and such but that should get it out just play the angles and ull get it out (I am pretty confident that that will work) but i cnat stress enough how important making sure ever wire cable and hook up is disconected it only takes one little lighting wire to hitch the motor its happened to me i have learned i have to check over the entire engine at least 4 tiems to get all the wires and stuff

ill_lil_romey
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Get the clymer manual , a sharpie marker, and containers. Do what U know and if you run into a hiccup use the manual, and make sure you remember how everything came off in reverse. Use the containers to collect all of the nuts bolts and small fasteners. That works for me all the time, even when I pull motors out of quads I have never worked on before, streetbikes too.

TREDZ71
01-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the help guys...I've been baggin' everything up in plastic baggies and takin' a bunch of pics so I know how it all goes back together.

I'm just curious as to how the motor itself comes out. When I tore down my Z, the motor came out pretty easily. However, the 450R motor looks to sit a lot higher. I mean that it doesn't look like I will just be able to tilt it to the side....it looks more like I will need to tilt it forward, then to the side. Does this sound right?

Thanks for the heads-up on the other stuff though.

humblesquirel21
01-30-2006, 01:15 PM
should work just play the angels and im sure it will come out be carefull of the cast aluminum parts the crack really easy

TREDZ71
01-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the help bro....good info.

Later.