PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Pivot Bolt Removal

99Honda400EX
01-29-2006, 03:01 PM
I am having a terrible time trying to get my bolt out on my 400ex. The nut came off with no problem at all, but the bolt won't budge. It won't even spin when I use the impact. I've pounded on it, soaked with the thrust and wd-40. Do I have to do something else like release pressure from somewhere? I've read other threads that talk about cutting it, which I really don't have a problem with but how does that work if it is seized inside the swingarm? The space is so tight too to get something in there to cut it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

450r51
01-29-2006, 03:12 PM
well i cant help u at all on the bolt, but where u ride man i live up in colden, and i race district 4....get back at me

Rip_Tear
01-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Glad to see you read other post first.

Sometimes the bolt is bent, so you need to cut it to remove it in sections, or you can press it out of the bushings.

If you really have no problem with cutting it, and you've tried:

Turning it
Hitting it with a hammer(or whatever)
Soaking it with WD

Your best alternative might just be to cut it and get a new one, then make sure you take it out periodicly and grease it. It might be the fastest way to get the job done, and it might be the conculsion you come to eventually anyways.

450r51
01-29-2006, 03:18 PM
oh if u do plan on getting a new one get it moly coated so it is permanently lubricated.

99Honda400EX
01-29-2006, 04:36 PM
I just bought the quad and it doesn't look like the previous owner was up on the PM so I don't think he greased anything. I in the middle of changing all the bearings and what not, which I will be sure not to neglect. I can buy that cutting it will help get it out if it is bent. It is gonna be hard to get something in there to cut it out.

450r51--I ride right out my back yard in the West Seneca area.

450r51
01-29-2006, 05:05 PM
yo shoot me a pm about riding some time

quader400
01-29-2006, 05:13 PM
i had the same problem getting my bold out... and after heating it soaking in pounding it , and sweating over for a few days it finally came out but it was not easy at all.. i wish you luck getting it out