PDA

View Full Version : im scared to do any rough riding need help fast with foot peg bolts

416 racer
01-29-2006, 11:26 AM
hey guy i wiegh a good 330 pounds butt im biult u wouldnt even know i way that much but any way can thos foot pegs bolts hold me up i here thre grade a bolts wich r apossed to be really tuogh iv been riding hard for about to years but im wondering cuase evry time i hopp on it kinda creaks

NacsMXer
01-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I know the total load capacity of these 400EX's is around 240 lbs with stock suspension components. If you haven't already, a set of aftermarket shocks valved specifically for your weight and riding style would definitely help your situation. If you're still on stock suspension, then you're really testing the limits of what it can handle.

But to answer your question, I have never heard of or seen a footpeg bolt break off as a result of someone's weight. I have only seen them break while people are trying to remove them from the frame.

If the bolts creak, then definitely remove them, clean them, and inspect them. You never know, they may be loose, stripped, or need to be replaced, but you will never know until you look. Make sure the washers are still in there. Also be sure to coat the threads of the bolts with antiseize compound before you reinstall them so they don't rust to the frame next time you need to remove them.

vpofthedrc
01-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Its Grade 8, not A.

416 racer
01-29-2006, 04:15 PM
well it not doing it no more i found out that my barring carrier is out so when my wight gets transferd tone peg it does creak a little not alot but my rear end is really loos

416 racer
01-29-2006, 04:17 PM
and my suspensoin is holding me just find they dont bottm for the last two years i had my 400

bmurray
01-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I would say that bolt can hold quite a few thousand pounds. Don't worry about that.

nelson440
01-30-2006, 10:24 PM
well racing mx last year i had my footpeg snap right off..and htey were new bolts..snapped em right off flush with the frame and they were in all the way too. and they were grade 8 allen bolts. it was the first time that ever happened...hard on the ankles... But i think it may be partially due to the kickup extensions...

Originally posted by bmurray
I would say that bolt can hold quite a few thousand pounds. Don't worry about that.

vpofthedrc
01-31-2006, 08:32 AM
That diameter bolt won't hold a few thousand pounds.

I would rather use a Grade 5 bolt there, because of its tinsel strength, a grade 8 bolt is technically stronger, but an extreme force will cause the bolt to shear off, where a grade 5 bolt would bend.

bmurray
02-03-2006, 02:50 PM
That diameter bolt won't hold a few thousand pounds.

This shows you don't know much about physical properties. If you could find a machinist handbook or any other reference data on bolts you would know that an M8 in a grade 8.8 has about 7k lbs of tensile strength and an M10 is near 11k. If you have a grade 12.9 bolt the strength is nearly 50%+ higher. Now if the bolts are over torque and stressed this could cause them to break. Check out the attached link.

http://www.precisionscrewandbolt.com/strength.htm

vpofthedrc
02-04-2006, 03:09 PM
In a perfect world they won't snap, but we've had too many bolts break on our race car to believe the machinist handbooks.

The bolt in reference was not a grade 8, it was the stock bolt.

bmurray
02-04-2006, 03:40 PM
grade 8 is nothing special. I don't think they use much lesser than that, but maybe.