PDA

View Full Version : New to Honda!

Tacomac
01-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Hello all.......im a newbie on this site and would really like a non-biased honest opinion on my first sport quad purchase. I started out on a 250 trailblazer so you all know what kind of power i was dealing with. I was wondering how the ex handles compared to the Z/Kfx. Which would be a better overall machine. I have never ridden a Honda quad much. Mostly older suzuki quads that i grew up on.

i was also wondering what were the most recent upgrades done on the ex400. From what i've read, i believe its mostly plastic and reverse for 05/06. When was the last time the motor, frame, suspension, etc was upgraded. Does Honda plan on making a liquid cooled 400 in the future?

Thanks for your time
Kyle

vpofthedrc
01-29-2006, 08:38 AM
I've been very happy with my 05 400, but I will say, I like the feel of my buddies Z over my EX. It seems to have a little better handling, and just a touch more topend.

01-29-2006, 09:00 AM
yeah, the z is a little quicker, but the 400ex handles better and is way more reliable. my buddy has a z400 and nuthing but problems.

NCexRider
01-29-2006, 09:33 AM
I've known people to have problems with their Z's as well. They do have more power, but are also more top heavy and don't handle as well. Not to mention the issue with the coolant and magnesium clutch cover. The 400EX is one of the best all round machines you can buy. Plenty of power, good handling in the trails, and reliable as all get out. I rode with a guy yesterday who had a '99 EX and has only ever changed the oil, no valve adjustment or anything, and has never had a problem with it. You're right, plastics and reverse were the only major upgrades on the 05 and 06's along with a little bit different factory gearing. And no, with most of technology focused on the new 450's, I wouldn't look for a liquid cooled 400EX in the future.

Hondaexboy
01-29-2006, 11:15 AM
My friend has a new z400 and it is in the shop all of the time. I just bought a used 02' 400ex and no problems yet. Handles very good too.
Go with the 400ex
:D

underpowered
01-29-2006, 11:24 AM
The EX handles better, the Honda is also much more reliable. The Z is faster and liquid cooled.

Recent updates are teh plastic adn reverse as you mentions but the entire tranny has been regeared as well. i highly dowbt honda will ever make the 400ex liquid cooled. THe suspension, chassis, motor is relativly unchanged since '99. i like my EX better than the Z. Parts are easy to come buy and relatively inexpensive. There are countless upgrades available and i would have to say it is one of the most popular quads on the site so info on any questions you might have is easy to come by as well. If you dont plan on doing any serious pro racing i say get the 400ex. the Z is slightly more competitive in a racing situation but dont count the 400ex out yet.

Rip_Tear
01-29-2006, 12:06 PM
I really like the simplicity on the 400ex, compared to the Z/KFX/DVX the EX is so simple. There is a lot less to worry about the on EX, but you do loose out on a bit of power and top end speed.

I don't ever see Honda making the 400EX liquid cooled, it was made air cooled for many reasons, simplicity being #1 in my book.

The 400EX could definately use:

Suspension upgrades...

Thats it really.

If you are buying used the 400ex is more likely bullet proof, providing it's not been bored and the frame is good.

TRX_450
01-29-2006, 12:32 PM
i moved from a trailblazer to the 400 and the difference was night and day....but then again it was a 2 stroke and also had the pipe/jet kit and clutch kit...but id say the 400 would be good for you

CHEVYZ
01-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Either way, you cannot go wrong. Used the EX is a much better deal, you can pick one up for fairly cheap in very good condition and build it up to run nice and VERY strong. The Z/ KFX/ DVX are better quads stock. They don't have quite the bottom and touch, but make up for it with the top-end. The EX and Z both run well and have pretty decent handling bone stock. Again, either way you will have a ton of fun!

Tacomac
01-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks all for the input so far. So fare i've been really leaning toward the Ex400. Alot of it is they have been proven and im tired of suzuki not standing up for their problems (frame from 03/04 and clutch cover 05/06) If they would recall the magnesium clutch cover instead of trying to cover it up by simply replacing it with another 06 clutch cover then maybe i'd reconsider.

Another question....how does the Ex handle a hot day since its an air cooled engine.?

Love the site by the way and thanks for everyones help!

:)

CHEVYZ
01-29-2006, 06:01 PM
I have brought my 400EX to the dunes about mid-summer ( Yeah, it was pretty darn hot), and not a problem. A 99 still running strong as the day I bought it. Man I love this bike!

bmurray
01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
I have an 05 400ex and my buddy has a 00 400ex. We love'm. Best all around quad!

01-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Tacomac
Another question....how does the Ex handle a hot day since its an air cooled engine.?

Love the site by the way and thanks for everyones help!

:)

when your bike is fully warmed up dont let it sit while its on for along people of time. as long as your riding you should have no problem at all

Tacomac
01-29-2006, 11:15 PM
What is the resale value on an Ex compared to the Z. And also which machine has better stock shocks?

quadman 05400ex
01-30-2006, 01:21 PM
the z has better shocks stock but you can fix that prob with i nice set of 450r shocks and tell some newbi that they came on there:D

Tacomac
01-30-2006, 03:19 PM
if a person were to order 450r shocks for the 06 EX400 would it be best to replace the rear shock as well. (and would the 450r rear shock do the job)

Aslo what would be the cost on 450r shocks all around on the EX. I would be dealing in Canadian dollars

coryatver
01-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Why don't you get some shocks made for a 400ex? The 450r rear shock would be horrible if you put it on. It is a different length and the valving is not right at all. You would smash your exhuast and break your air box because the 450r shock is shorter. The rear 400ex shock is a very good shock unless you want to go to a high dollar aftermarket shock. The 450r front shocks will not work the best on the front either unless you get them revalved and setup for your weight which would cost money I would just get economy elka front shocks for 500 bucks. That way you know you are getting shocks setup for you and they will work so much better.

Rip_Tear
01-30-2006, 04:43 PM
The stockers will last a good bit, unless you get into MX pretty well. Mine were alright till I started going bigger and bigger.

quadman 05400ex
01-30-2006, 06:15 PM
you wont be disuponitedjust get 450r shocks 500 ucks is crazy if you do want to get them value you dont have to it will cost you maybe 75 bucks and you can dampen the shocks any way got 450r k;)