PDA

View Full Version : 300EX initial mods

Duane
01-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Just registered on the board, picked up a 05 300EX today as an intermediate quad to go between my KFX400 and my Dinli DB90. I needed a bike for my son to learn clutch on and something for me and the wife to have so we can go on rides together.

Played around and pulled the air box off and man this thing booged, guess I'll jet it tomorrow. Uses Mikuni jets I'm assuming?

I did a search on mods and its all, well I already have pipe etc.... and the most common answers are to bore it, but I'm wondering what and where to start. Is the stock air filter decent? The intake pipe looks to be pretty good, whats a good pipe for the bottom to mids rpms, is there and carb mods. All roiund it looks like a great bike.

Thanks,
Duane

bradley300
01-28-2006, 08:29 PM
i would go with a white brothers air filter and cam. also, i would find a good full exhaust and it will really wake up the motor

exrider008
01-29-2006, 06:49 AM
i would allso get a good exhaust like a HMF or a yoshi because the 300 stock exhaust is so restricted, i would also get an air filter like a K@N or uni. If u r riding in dusty places i would go with the uni because the K@N will let some dirt through if u dont keep it well cleaned if u do these mods it will wake that 300 up

humblesquirel21
01-29-2006, 07:05 AM
from what i understand if u bore it ur gona have a bike that performs on par with a stock z400 or a piped 400ex if ur tryin to teach ur kid how to use a clutch that might be alot of bike for him. (not makeing a coment about his ridign abilty or anything just a concern) i have noticed that the more performance parts i put on my 300ex the more agresive it is fr instance if u compare my 300ex to a stock 400ex i belive my 300(or if u went all the way to a big bore esspecialy) 300 would be harder to hold and feel comfortable because the aftermarket parts make it so agresive compared to the tame 400ex with factory parts. just some thoughts

Duane
01-29-2006, 08:51 AM
I didn't want to start to much with internal engine mods, so I will probably go with the pipe and filter first (don't want to much power for the young'n yet). I do want to make the bike sound louder, one, because its just crappy sounding, and two, I like to be able to hear were the bike is.

I noticed the rear tires are 22's" with a 13 tooth front sprocket, didn't check rear, but I thought it was odd that my Z has 20's" and the EX had 22's". I have some 18" paddles for the Dinli. Those should be sweet on the EX for duning.

emaxxjeremy
01-29-2006, 09:12 AM
i have an 05 300ex as well for my wife, and with a k&n filter, jet kit and white brothers pipe it was decent.
if your interested i also have an extra nib dynojet jet kit for the 300ex
email me at jeremyh@tampabay.rr.com

humblesquirel21
01-31-2006, 07:15 PM
the big 22 inch tires on thge 300 are "part" of the suspension they help smooth the ride especaily at low speeds the down side is if u hit a square edge, jump , or anything else with high impact the bounce and they handle porly in turns and for most everything i would sugest riping them off adn replacing them with a pair of 20in tires i recomend maxis razar 2s (6ply) from my experience with them because they are awsome but there are many other good choices from brands like kenda maxis ect

ps ull love the pipe it really brightens the engine u might try and edlebroock flat side quicksilver carb i have one and i love te throtle response and if u read their claims (stuff about what the carb will do incline angles and adjustabilty) i have found it all to be true but others have not liked the carb it took awhile to dial it in but once i did it was/is great

bwamos
02-01-2006, 08:43 AM
I agree. 1st step is a pipe, filter, rejet.

The stock tires are terrible, I would agree with a pair of 20" 4-6 ply maxxis razr/razr2 or kenda klaws. And a pair of Razr2 fronts. I would go with an 8x8 wheel on 20's or 9x9 wheel 22's in the back to keep the rims from getting bent.

I would also reccomend a tether kill. ;)

Oh yea... the Honda's have a Keihin Carb. You'll need keihin jets for it.