PDA

View Full Version : 400ex battery

scarface2949
01-28-2006, 05:11 PM
does it matter what kind of battery i put in my 400ex as longs as its a 12v

prepracing
01-28-2006, 05:21 PM
well yeah it does.....if you put in one that is lower amps than a stocker it will have trouble cranking the the engine.....and would wear down fast if your engine does not fire right up. Probably would not last as many years either. But as far as going with bigger amperage battery I think thats ok. But I would think you would want to go with a quad or motorcycle type battery

NacsMXer
01-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Ha, yeah what he said ^^^ I could rig up the 12V battery out of my truck, but that wouldn't work out too well. Look for a battery with a cold cranking amp rating of 8-12 amps.

scarface2949
01-28-2006, 09:53 PM
is there any possible damage if u put a 12v12amp any way this could damage the electrical system????

LTandRaptorider
01-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by scarface2949
is there any possible damage if u put a 12v12amp any way this could damage the electrical system????

May I refer you to the other thread you created, with the same question? Take special notice of the reply from Pappy... A man with some knowledge of quads, and works for a place that builds devices to deliver energy to vehicle electrical systems, I believe... Anyways...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207327

:p

Pappy
01-28-2006, 10:21 PM
i guess 16 years of selling batteries doesnt mean i learned a thing or two:p

very good LT, first person to ever post where i work:eek:

as long as you install a battery that has the minimum cca/amp hr for your vehicle you will not harm your electronics. using a higher cca/amp hr battery will not hurt, but there is a limit as to how much power you really need. the Yuasa YT12ABS has a proven track record for helping fire the 400ex faster especially if a higher compression piston has been installed.

so, to answer you for the 3rd time, remember you im'd me on aim, you will not hurt your electronics by installing the YTX9BS (factory unit) or the YT12ABS (upgrade)

you may pop a fuse when you reattach the cables, just install the positive cable first and then your negative.

LTandRaptorider
01-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i guess 16 years of selling batteries doesnt mean i learned a thing or two:p

very good LT, first person to ever post where i work:eek:

as long as you install a battery that has the minimum cca/amp hr for your vehicle you will not harm your electronics. using a higher cca/amp hr battery will not hurt, but there is a limit as to how much power you really need. the Yuasa YT12ABS has a proven track record for helping fire the 400ex faster especially if a higher compression piston has been installed.

so, to answer you for the 3rd time, remember you im'd me on aim, you will not hurt your electronics by installing the YTX9BS (factory unit) or the YT12ABS (upgrade)

you may pop a fuse when you reattach the cables, just install the positive cable first and then your negative.

Hmmm... Was I not supposed to say where you work? I don't even know why I knew that... I have all kinds of useless information in my head... :blah:

Pappy
01-29-2006, 08:25 AM
not really, its no big deal. i just did not want a ton of pm's asking if i can hook them up with a battery:p

400EXtreme
01-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
not really, its no big deal. i just did not want a ton of pm's asking if i can hook them up with a battery:p lol

ZSK
01-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Ha, yeah what he said ^^^ I could rig up the 12V battery out of my truck, but that wouldn't work out too well. Look for a battery with a cold cranking amp rating of 8-12 amps.

8-12 might run a coffee pot for a while. I think you mean in the 80-120 range. I ran the ytx14 in my 440 for a long time and it was a great battery. I could start in 1st gear with the clutch out. That battery is in the 220 CCA range.

Pappy
01-29-2006, 11:28 AM
no he is correct, a 9 to 12 AMP HR battery, a 220 amp hr battery is roughly the size that would go in a bulldozer. keep the amp hr and cca straight or you may get a $200 bill for the wrong battery:devil:

if you ever want to figure amp hr ratings on a battery that does not list it, its reserve capacity x .06

since the small bike batteries dont have much in the way of reserve, they refer to them in cca and amp hour ratings.

ZSK
01-29-2006, 11:53 AM
If you read his post is says a 8-12 cca rating not amp hr. You'd need to tow a trailer behind the 400 for a 200 am hr battery.:)

Pappy
01-29-2006, 02:56 PM
lol....yeah a 12 cca battery will not work well:p

and yes, at 96 pounds a trailer is needed, maybe thats whats wrong with my back:p