PDA

View Full Version : New SBC in the Monte Carlo runs like crap

Jake250ex
01-28-2006, 01:59 PM
I just put in a small block chevy (350) in my 87 monte carlo ss and it runs like horrible. I took it out for the first time after 3 months of working on it and buying parts from paycheck to paycheck and was almost in tears because the old worn out stock motor was way faster. This thing should scare me, instead I am scared I wont be able to get up to the speed limit.

It has a fresh .30 rebuild, a cam, carb, headers, complete exhaust system, intake and distibutor. I was looking for about 350hp out of it :ermm:

Anyway, I need some help for diagnosis. I have alot of variables and factors here. My dad is positive its the carb. It is a carter AFB and is used, was rebuilt by my neighbor and sold to me. I think this is part of the problem but not all of it. At an idle it puffs smoke and blows alot out when revved. When you put the pedal to the floor it makes that high speed sucking sound like a quadrajet. You can smell the gas really stong in the fumes too. I am thinking it is too rich or something is plugged, because we popped the vacuum line of the front and it has no suction whatsoever.

Another thing is the gas in it is almost 3 months old and Im sure stale. When I went to put some more in, I screwed the cap off and it sucked a bunch of air in like there was no vent and the tank was plugged and airtight. I put a couple gallons of premium in and it seemed to help but still not near what it should be.

Something that confuses me is the fact that when we first got it done we were all excited and doing burnouts and goofing around in it, and it semmed to have a ton of power. It idled really low and loped alot.. like it should. Now it idles high and every time I go to shut if off the motor still turns over a few times and makes that dreaded "oh no my car just quit and im in the middle of no where" noise that you always hear in movies. I had to hook the crusty old stock exhaust back up too once I ean short of money.

sorry for the super long post, just really concerned about this. I hope this isnt my payoff for $3000 worth of parts and not being able to do anything for 3 months because my car sat around in pieces.

heavy_d
01-28-2006, 03:00 PM
It does sound like your getting too much gas, how many cfm is your carb? I wouldn't go any higher than a 650. Are the spark plugs on the black side? I did have problems with my electrical choke on my 85 regal with it not opening all the way and racing. I had to get a different carb and put a manual choke on. Also did that year originally come with fuel injection? Carbuerator won't work right with high pressure fuel pump.

underpowered
01-28-2006, 05:14 PM
sounds like a vacume leak to me. high idle is a sign of it. spray some carb cleaner all around the carb and intake with teh car running. if it make a difference in how it idles and runns you have a vacume leak there.

user101
01-28-2006, 05:38 PM
you should have went ahead and bout a new carb..whats another $300 when we building a 3g motor????

Jake250ex
01-28-2006, 10:14 PM
its a 600cfm carb. i couldnt afford anything better, it was one of the last peices i got and i was flat broke and happy to even get this.

MC17X
01-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Also Make sure your timing is right. And double check them vac lines for leaks. As far as carb size. I had a 600cfm on my 66 327 and it preformed fine. As far as a 350 I would go with at least a 650 or higher. Also what size valves did you go with ?

Jake250ex
01-29-2006, 09:52 AM
heads are stock. I am having the guy that built my carb`come over check it out to see what he can do. If anything goes right Ill post up some burnout pics or something.

450RGNCC
01-29-2006, 02:07 PM
i would have to say ur problem is with the gas tank, if you said it sucked in air when you opened it, then the vent line is clogged, try taking the gas cap off and running the motor for a little while, see if it runs any better, I bet that is part of your problem

Jake250ex
01-29-2006, 02:36 PM
we made a vent for the gas cap just now and it didnt help. the guy came down and told me it could be anything except the carb, but my dad is convinced it is the carb.

Jake250ex
01-30-2006, 01:05 PM
i think im gonna slap a for sale on her and get a 5.0 stang

BKex
01-30-2006, 04:25 PM
I'd bet that it is your timing............since u stated too that motor was running on once u shut it off or thats what it seems like to me the way u described it.

Try loosening up the distributor, and advancing it or retarding it and see if it makes a difference.

Rastus
01-30-2006, 07:35 PM
Sounds like timing to me too.

Jake250ex
01-30-2006, 07:49 PM
nah we got the light out and it was spot on. the noise has stopped too.

red2004 TRX450R
01-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
nah we got the light out and it was spot on. the noise has stopped too.

timing marks may be wrong!!

try the carb off the old motor and see if that helps!

red2004 TRX450R
01-31-2006, 11:16 AM
did you degree in the cam?
Did you brake in the cam right - if not it may be junk?
did you set the values right?
what is you ring gap?
did you hone the walls right for the kind of rings your using?
have you done a compression check?
are the plug wires on right?
is the distributor put together right?
if the timing marks are wrong try advancing the retarding the timing to see if the marks are wrong?
Is the choke stuck on?
what size jets and squatters are in the carb?
are you getting eneff or to much fuel pressure?
do you have eneff volts to run the the coil?
do you have oil pressure?
Who rebilt the motor?

you can check for vacuum leaks with a propane hand torch. just turn the torch on and dont light it, just let the gas come out and run it around the carb and vacuum lines and around the intake to - if the idle increased (sucking in the gas) that is where the leak is!!!

KILLER EX
02-13-2006, 07:58 PM
i bet the cam was not broken in correctly any way from the sounds of it .. so i am sure that as well as other things are your problem.

SGA
02-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Well? Is it running ok yet?

TheX1992
02-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Sounds like the same problem I had. I was replacing the distributer and was off by a tooth. It ran alright, but you had to floor it to get it to move anywhere. Double check that.