PDA

View Full Version : 300ex idle prob.

2000SPORT
07-10-2002, 07:18 PM
What should I do to make my 300ex idle better? It idles rough (kind of surges) and dies quite a bit while idling. I have no trouble starting it though. It surges when I open up the throttle a little bit too. I've tinkered with the mixture screw, but didn't see any improvement richer or leaner. It's fine up thru mid and full throttle though. Maybe I didn't turn enough. If that's the problem is it idling rich or lean? If not, what should I try?
Thanks for the help.

300exazzkikr
07-10-2002, 07:31 PM
did you rejet after you put that fmf pipe on it? if you didn't thats your prob.

2000SPORT
07-10-2002, 07:46 PM
I upped the main jet after I installed the pipe. It had the problem before I added the pipe. I've heard that going with a 42 (I think) pilot that it will help starting problems, but I don't know if it would help with the idling too.

07-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Did you by chance mess with the idle screw? if you did that might be the problem

300exazzkikr
07-10-2002, 09:08 PM
since it happened before the pipe, the i'd say adjust the idle screw to proper setting. let the bike run..then play with the idle screw until it runs how you like it. it will make a difference, if it doesn't your doing something wrong.

Scott
07-10-2002, 09:13 PM
The 42 pilot jet is for the 400 carbs, which are bigger than the 300 carbs. For instance, the 400s main is what, a 148 or so? The stock 300 main is a 122. Throwing a 42 pilot in a 300 would solve the idling problem alright, it would be so flooded that it wouldn't even start. :D

I have always thought my 300 idled kinda rough too, especially when cold. But it doesn't do what your is. Have you tried just turning the idle up a little? What happens to the idle as you start to turn on the choke? If it smoothes out, then I'd say you're a little lean and should be able to correct it with the adjustment screw. If it gets worse, then you're rich, run the adjustment screw the other way.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out.