PDA

View Full Version : SMELL coming from 06 450er

wildheer
01-27-2006, 10:27 PM
I just took my new 06 450er on its first real trip. I noticed on a couple of occasions a pretty strong smell coming from it. It was the distinctive odor of burning clutch or brakes, like the brakes burning off a big rig going down a mountain road. It wasn't real strong and only did it about 2 or 3 times in 4 days of riding and didn't last long when it did. It did seem to be during harder riding when it happened. I also noticed that the clutch lever was not opening back 100%. I had to push it back out the last about 5% back into place. I figure that the cable stretched a little as it was breaking in fully. Even if the cable did stretch, i wouldnt see the clutch burning as a result. I wouldnt think the brakes would make that smell either, especially since i really wasnt using them much. I also put my nose to them and didn't smell it. I tried to put my nose around the motor but couldnt tell where it was coming from and it didnt last more than about 20 seconds after stopping. I have never smelled that on an ATV before. Anyone have any thoughts?

TCracin440ex
01-27-2006, 10:48 PM
thats just the new smell....i know when i first got my 400ex there was all kinda strange and wierd smells comming from it...but its just because its new and its burning stuff off the motor...i know that honda puts something on their headpipes too and that stuff burns off and stinks pretty bad as well

wildheer
01-27-2006, 11:16 PM
I noticed the new smell burning off of the motor for the first couple of hours or so of riding then it went away. I rode it pretty easy for the first 5 hrs or so. Then rode it a little harder but never left it open for too long over the 4 day trip i was talking about. This smell occured during the 4 day trip and is totally different. NOT new smell. its exactly like the smell coming off a rigs breaks. I'm not sure what else in this world smells like a burning clutch or break but its hard for me to believe either of those things would be happening.

yamablaster24
01-28-2006, 12:38 AM
hmm, i didnt smell anything like what you describe. I have smelled burnt clutch plates at the races, and my motorcycle's burnt clutch plates and it was a very distinct smell. I would take it into your dealer it could be the starter also.

prepracing
01-28-2006, 03:27 AM
how many hours do you have on it ? have u checked all your fluids ?

4ABURN
01-28-2006, 07:46 AM
If you do not spray brake cleaner on the brake rotors the first time you hit the brakes the pads soak up the rust protectant that honda puts on them. They will smell for along time. Everytime you hit the front brakes you will smell the protectant not the brake pads(maybe both alittle):confused: Just throwing a possibility out at you. This has happened on new quads before.Some quads have more spray on them than others.:) This will not just happen when you hit the brakes but after you hit them then drive away.

But hey I could be way off so if that is not it don't hang me OK.

2MuchChi450R
01-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Working for a honda dealer, I've heard these questions. If it were your clutch going, it'd smell horrible, like bacon that was cooked to a crisp (only way to describe it) As far as some of the other smells, Honda uses a chemical called cosmoleen (sp?) It's like a this grease/lubricant for shipping vehicles so they don't scratch easily and metal parts don't rust/oxidize.