View Full Version : headlight wiring problem

NV300ex
01-27-2006, 04:07 PM
ok i'd searched and searched but nothing coudl help me out in my issue.. i'd taken the big headlight off my 300ex and went to walmart and got the two 55 watt 3" lights to mount.. well everything went well except for the wiring.. i'd ground the ground wire but the other one, i tried it with the high beam, and i pop a fuse.. so i put a new fuse and rewire the wire to low beam instead of high beam.. nothing.. well i'd kept on n on and finally it was burnin my wires inside the lights and everything else.
i dont know if i'd gotten a bad set of lights or if im doing a wiring problem. so i took the lights back and im debating on whether to get another set or just stick my big rectangle light back on there.
Figure somebody ran in this issue of popping fuses on this. Maybe im grounding the lights by how im mounting them on the metal bracket .. could that be it? cause i have no idea. sure could appreciate the help

RRP
01-27-2006, 05:12 PM
I would try grounding through the ground part of the factory plug.Get a test light and use it to find the one that is the ground.I can't remember for sure which one it is but its not the middle one like you would think.I did mine this way and it worked fine.The only thing i found out is the factory headlight is way brighter so I put it back on anyways.

NV300ex
01-27-2006, 05:40 PM
ok i finally found some posts like years ago on here, said i can't use the 2 - 55watt lights on the 300ex cause of the stator. Thats probably why. Guess im going get some trail techs or find some other lights, maybe.

Rip_Tear
01-27-2006, 06:24 PM
^^ I don't think your stock light is 110 watts... You need to be running something the same wattage or less on there, but not greater.

flexiblekiwi797
01-30-2006, 11:42 PM
where did you find the old posts and did you make a bracket to hold the lights? i have been looking to do this, any help would be appreciated...

NV300ex
01-31-2006, 03:47 PM
i went to search button at the top in the dark gray area,
then i typed in headlight or used keywords like 300ex lights or lights... and i'd kept looking further back in the years until i couldnt' go no further.
from what i'd read, you can use hose clamps or ties to tie them down onto your handlebars in the middle. however i'd took the same bracket that holds the big rectangle stock light and bend each arm backwards and you can bolt two lights side by side inside there.. when i get some more lights with lower voltage, i'd take some pics of how i'd used the same bracket thats on your 300ex