PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Bolt

440ex dragger
01-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Swingarm Bolt is stuck in frame and swingarm. Took the nut off and tried to push it through. I broke a punch off in the end and I cant seem to even budge with a hammer. I really dont want to mess the frame and swingarm up. I plan on getting a new bolt and bearings from pivot works. I am stumped on what to do now.

Pappy
01-27-2006, 03:58 PM
PB Blaster may help:ermm: Heat may help:ermm:

Ive had to cut so many out that I hate the thought of even doing them. The bad part with trying to cut them, is that sometimes your still back to square one because even cut they wont budge!

440ex dragger
01-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Well I dont have to take it off. I was tearing it down for powdercoat but it works fine doesnt have any play. How do you cut them out. Torch? I have access to one but I would hate to cut up my swingarm.

01-27-2006, 04:55 PM
use lots of wd40 or some kind of spray lube. then heat up with a torch. i worked on the last one all day finally came out. be patient.

TheFontMaster
01-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Use a sawsall to cut out the pivot bolt. Torches are too messy, I hate using torches even for things that don't require precision cuts. A cut off wheel could also do the job.

lee37vernon
01-28-2006, 04:00 AM
i got mine out after soaking with wd 40 for 3 days in a row constantly , then i got a long thin punch somewhat like you have broken but mine tapered and was about 18 inches long , it was also at biggest point , narrow enough to slide through the frame with the bolt when it came out . it took some beating though .. i thought i was gunna have to cut through either side but then you still need to get it out of swinger so its best in frame as it holds it still for you . if the bollts stuck your also gonna enjoy removing the bearings :eek2:

01-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Once you soak it HEAT it up. It will go alot faster.

440ex dragger
01-28-2006, 10:34 AM
So I guess that is my chore for tomorrow is getting it out then. Thanks for the help fellas I will let you know how it goes.

Coyoteman
01-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Like the others said, heat it up and pound it out. Make sure you coat the new one with anti-seize before you install it, it will make things a little easier on you the next time you have to remove it.

440ex dragger
02-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Allright I finally got it out. Had to torch it out.

Now how do I get the bolt out of the swingarm. I got it to spin inside the swinger just need to get it out of the swingarm housing. Another bolt I had to cut out was the linkage bolt to the frame.

EXtreme-
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
sounds like you cut off the outside ends with a hot wrench? If the swinger's out alltogether, you need to beat that bolt out like a rented mule. Normally, the bolt gaulds itself to the inner bearing races (steel collers) which won't let you punch it out. Or, the races are gaulded to the needle bearings. (doubtful)

Try cutting the center portion of the bolt out and remove it in two pieces....seperately.

hard lesson to swallow....we've all been there...or will be soon

lee37vernon
02-06-2006, 02:54 AM
get a couple gallon of petrol or cerosene in a big bucket and stand the swinger in it for a few days to loosen the rust in the bearings then beat ir out . you will then need to slice through the bearings outer races and pick them out .

02-06-2006, 09:40 AM
I would lean towards trying to press it out with a big press if you had access to one.

matt250r21
02-06-2006, 12:55 PM
That pounding on frames and swingarms is so much fun. Just did this to my buds YFZ 450, took to days of pounding, wd-40 and mapp gas heating. Finally had to cut it all out with a sawzs all. Hes one of those guys who rides the hell out of it, blasted it of with a presser washer and then is pissed when its broke? A little anti-seze gose such a long way or just regular maintaince!

440ex dragger
02-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Yea I guess all that work I did to get it clean kinda defeated the purpose if it had never been done before.

02-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Just a little FYI to you guys, when you go to replace the swing arm pivot bolt, the 400EX one is a direct replacement and is 1/2 the cost of the OEM R one!

440ex dragger
02-09-2006, 04:04 PM
I am gonna get it out next monday, I am taking to the maintenace dept at my job to let them press it out, hopefully it will come out with 60,000 pounds on it.

lee37vernon
02-09-2006, 05:27 PM
when you have it out drill the swing arm for a grease nipple . its kinda impossible to grease it up by shoving a bit in and putting it back together , a regular pump with a grease gun will keep out all the water and crap , keep the bearings working as they should and save you replacing them agaain in hurry . And , oh yeah , the bolt will come out too ;)