PDA

View Full Version : My 350RX hybrid....bought not built.....

Slinky
01-27-2006, 11:37 AM
i know i'll probably get the why did you cut up the frame quotes but oh well..i didnt do it..lol...

i picked this quad up at the begining of the week. Its an 86 frame (we think it has an 89 front section welded on) w/ an 85 or 86 350x motor...motor is believed to be stock.
Suspension is PEP revalved stock shocks, which are actually off of an 89 250R that i had sold back in 1998. It has a shortened swingarm, durablue +2 axel. Front is stock 86 A-arms. Steering stem is said to be aftermarket and it has a PEP steering stabilizer on it.
here's a pic of when i first got it...
http://i1.tinypic.com/mjv8n4.jpg

and here was after a couple hours of work...
http://i1.tinypic.com/mjva5y.jpg

future plans inclue new plastic, larger tank ( i do mostly trail riding), and having everything sand blasted and repowder coated..not sure what colors i'm going to go yet.
From what i've seen and a few other guys that have looked at it say this quad has been built very well. All the welds look very clean and the frame is heavily guseted. I get to put some hours on it this weekend for the first time..i cant wait...

so i guess i'll be in here for frame and suspension advice....and have to find another spot for motor advice:p and belive me..i do wish it still had the R motor..but this will do.

MR.BIG
01-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Looks pretty cool. It should run real good when you start building the motor up because those motors produce a good amount of power.

slamdak8782
01-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Are you sure it is a 350x because It has that 500 seat and looks like it might be bigger than the 350.

Slinky
01-27-2006, 07:55 PM
yeah i'm sure its a 350...the guy was planning at first to do a CR500 motor in..i think that was the reason for the seat...the seats definately gotta go..but probably not till spring.

01-29-2006, 11:49 AM
hahah thats great :D

TheFontMaster
01-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Slinky
yeah i'm sure its a 350...the guy was planning at first to do a CR500 motor in..i think that was the reason for the seat...the seats definately gotta go..but probably not till spring.

HAHA keep the seat, then you'll have the oposite of a sleeper.

Slinky
01-30-2006, 06:19 AM
lol...everyone will be like damn thats slow for a 500....

but anyways i put a few hours on it this weekend and i can say i'm very impressed..i'm not a fast rider, but i like to just rip through the trails...the torque this motor makes combined with the handling of the chassy makes this an awsome bike for the trails....i rode and beat on the thing all day and it didnt miss a beat...it was about 45 out...a few inches of snow and those 22" rears came in handy..rode with my buddy on his 89 250R (which we stayed up to 4 am finishing up putting his motor together) and 2 yamaha grizzlys (incase we needed something to get us unstuck)....this bike definately isnt fast....but its perfect for me and my riding style!....but a nice set of front fenders would have been good for the day lol...hopefully get to beat on it some more this weekend.

wilkin250r
01-30-2006, 04:57 PM
I've seen a few of these conversions, but never actually got to ride one.

Apparently, they were popular in the mid 90's. The only decent 4-stroke quad around was the Warrior, and a 350RX conversion had much more power and better handling than a Warrior could ever dream. However, when it came to racing, most people just went with a dirtbike motor, because they were much more powerful.

deathman53
01-30-2006, 05:17 PM
most of the racers didn't use a 350x motor stock, they bored and stroked them to 420 and 440, and some 405, a hopped up 350x motor is no laughing matter, its a torque monster, you can build them out to a 520 or so. I'm told TC can build a very fast 350x motor.

slamdak8782
01-30-2006, 05:29 PM
I once saw a built 350x three wheeler demolish all. Banshees yfz450s 450rs. It was unstoppable and these quads were all built even some very modified 250r fell to that evil monster.:eek2: i wouldnt believe it if I hadnt seen it. It was at the drag races in St. Clairsville. Anyone else ever see this guy or kbow who he was or what was done to that beast? There was also a wicked fast blaster there. It was all black. It had green neons and little green flashing light on the rims that was one fast blaster. It was the second fastest next to the 350x

Slinky
02-01-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
most of the racers didn't use a 350x motor stock, they bored and stroked them to 420 and 440, and some 405, a hopped up 350x motor is no laughing matter, its a torque monster, you can build them out to a 520 or so. I'm told TC can build a very fast 350x motor.
who's TC?
i'd like to line up with a couple 400ex's and see how i fare..i know this chassy handles so much better than a 400.

brian350rx
02-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Tom Carlson - TC racing
He builds very fast motors. Jason Luburgh usd to run a TC modded 350X motor in the pro am class back in the day.
If the X motor is built, you should have no trouble eating 400ex's