PDA

View Full Version : Gonna start racing soon

Stevo
07-28-2001, 10:25 PM
Allright I'm gonna try to start racing by next year. I know i'll need a good set of front shocks. But is there really anything else i'll need. I guess nerfs too??

4punksdad
07-29-2001, 07:41 AM
nerfs, a tether switch, headlight guards, number plate and very good health & life insurance.

07-30-2001, 10:03 AM
Chest protector,,,,,,:D

400exRacerX
07-30-2001, 10:23 AM
what are you gonna start racing?? i'm assuming mx from what it looks like. before anything i would get alot of practice and a good pair of boots to protect your feet and shins. i would personaly buy alpinestars, i have had mine for a year and the only problem so far is a snapped buckel, wich i fixed.

honda400ex27
07-30-2001, 10:30 PM
quit a few things you will need to be competitive.

1. nerf bars (AC propeg)
2. kill switch (pro design)
3. aftermarket handlebars (renthal, pro taper)
4. proper ridin gear (helmet, gloves, boots, pants, chest protector, goggles)
5. aftermarket exhaust (LRD, Curtis sparks)
6. front shocks (works, TCS, PEP, cu$tom axi$)
7. A-arms (+2, +1 JD performance best price)
8. Axle (+4 durablue, lonestar)
9. 8" beadlocks (champion, best wheel)
10. 18x9.5x8 turf tamer
11. MX radials on front
12. aftermarket swingarm (stock ones break easy, get +2)
13. number plate, and backgrounds, headlight covers
14. last but not least a few cosmetic things like cut fenders, parking break blockoff, seat cover(better grip), AC front bumper

chris29
07-31-2001, 12:47 AM
A good set of balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!:devil

07-31-2001, 09:43 AM
Hey Junior your link ain't setup right,,,,,it should be in red,,go check it out,,,,,,,glad ta here you'll be racin this saturday....I thought maybe you were gonna have to use the rico racin quad...:D

chris29
07-31-2001, 09:47 AM
Man I don't know whats wrong with it Ive tried to get it in red the link works it just won't come up in red I don't know whats wrong.

07-31-2001, 10:02 AM
Just get a red marker and run it across the link on the screen it should work,,,,,,,:blah

07-31-2001, 10:08 AM
Oh yeah,,, you gonna need to get you some Exriders.com stickers for the 416 and the trailer,,,,they only $2.00 now that your employeed you can afford em.....later fag:devil

400exRacerX
07-31-2001, 10:22 AM
hey honda400ex27, he doesnt need all those parts just to start racing, heck i have about a little more than half those mods and race.

trx400ex
08-01-2001, 07:39 AM
r u sure the stock swingarms brake easy?? lmfao ,i think if i was worried about that id get a new rear shock first , and for mx a plus 2 swingarm isnt better

08-01-2001, 12:51 PM
You know I really doubt you NEED grooved radials to race, or NEED 18x9.5x8 Turf Tamers

08-01-2001, 12:57 PM
You don't have to have squat to race but a bike and kill switch,,,but if you don't wanna come in last it's nice to have a couple upgrades...I don't think what was listed above is what you absolutely must have,,but to be competetive you might wanna get most of them,,,,I hardly ever see a stock bike win races...

08-01-2001, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
r u sure the stock swingarms brake easy?? lmfao ,i think if i was worried about that id get a new rear shock first , and for mx a plus 2 swingarm isnt better

Ask Chris29 if the stockers hold up very good....his broke in half and he only wieghs about 130 pounds,,,I've read numerous times that the factory swingarms break after alot of jumping,,,and extensive abuse,,,which normally means MX racing...

but yeah TRX400ex the stocker swingarms are known to break..Mines holding up just great to all the torture I put it thru but I'm also saving for a new one because It's just a matter of time before my fat Arse snaps the SOB,,,later..

trx400ex
08-01-2001, 02:47 PM
it could happen and it might happen quite alot where anyone here lives , but im still not going too be convinced that they break easy...i do know one person around here who has a broken (cracked) swingarm, but they just welded it, also he is into racing alot as he has 2 440exs and wins consistintly

honda400ex27
08-01-2001, 10:18 PM
If you wanna go racing and win....You will need those mods i listed!

If you wanna go racing and run dead last....well just leave the bike stock and see what happens..as for me i know what it feels like to run a stock bike in a race...its hell...shocks bottoming out on every jump, bicycling it through turns...race a few times with the stock bike and see what happens to you...you'll see the extended ones power slidding by you in the turns, landing a whole lot smoother....smoother means faster! just try the stock bike and see...trust me it wont work!

If ya can't run with the big boys, stay at home and keep pissin off the porch with the pups!

08-02-2001, 10:24 AM
Whats the reason for 2 400's I think I'd spend the money from the 2nd one on the 1st one to make it better,,,I don't know just my opinion and I dont' really think the arms are breaking easily they just break over time and long times of abuse I guess..

chris29
08-02-2001, 06:55 PM
Rico I am not no 130lb's Im a 145lb's and yeah stock swingarms suck they tend to brake and so do steering steams and the front shocks don't last too long either huh Rico we been through that. If ya don't want to break anything don't jump and don't wreak.

Dave400ex
08-02-2001, 08:17 PM
To race you need,

Works Tripple Rate fronts with rezzies
Rear shock redone by works
Durablue axle
beadlock rears
nerf bars
headlight covers
kill switch
pipe

Stevo
08-03-2001, 02:53 PM
Hey guys thanx for all of the replys. My motor is bone stock, but i know guys who race like that and do pretty well. I've got all of the stuff in my sig. All i'll need i guess is a kill switch, better front shocks, and nerfs.

I don't really think i'll need a pipe. Cuz I raced piped 400ex's before and beat them.

08-04-2001, 08:14 PM
all u need is NB's (most places require them), a kill switch (usually also required), i see you already have tires, i'm not sure what shocks because i dont know what terrain you race, gear, a nice helmet (always looks nice) and as someone else said... a good set of balls! good luck!:devil

Jeff
08-13-2001, 07:30 PM
Remember Stevo, 10% Bike, 90% Rider!!! I forgot who said that they hardly ever see a stock 4-wheeler win races, but a stock 400EX could easily beat a Raptor (with lots of mods)! It's all mostly the rider, not the bike. Say you put a retard on a Raptor, and a Pro rider on a stock Blaster, who do you think is going to win? The guy on the slow Blaster of course...:rolleyes:

Tommy 17
08-16-2001, 04:01 PM
What is the point of having to take off ur brake light and puttin a head light cover on ur quad when u race. i know in district 5 they give u like 3 races or sumtin to do it. :devil

08-17-2001, 06:31 AM
The reason for that is if the clear plastic used as light covers were broken or something in a wreck and you were to wreck and fall on it,,,well your probably going to the hospital to get sticthes. Just another safety factor to help us MX guys out when we fall off our bikes,,,kind of the same reason they don't have glass bottles at baseball fields,,just imagine if somehow broken glass got on the field,,and you are gettin ready to slide into 3rd on top of pieces of glass,,,,get the picture..

wyndzer
08-21-2001, 07:44 PM
My TT race bike

400grl
08-22-2001, 10:07 PM
I don't have many mods yet, but I just started racing. I figure I need the experience on the track just as much as I need high-performance mods to help me win.

I started off with: all the gear, a kill-switch, and my number plates! I don't have nerfs yet, and I just bought a pipe. My first race I didn't come in last, so I think that's OK.

I do have to say, though, that the consistent winners have the skill AND the mods to make their wins easier. I would love a nice set of shocks - I get pretty good air and my landings can be hard sometimes. And I am on stock tires, which makes sliding into turns fun, but my traction sucks!

So, if you want to race, just get what you need to be legal on the track, and get the rest as you can. It's alot of fun, and you will only get better with practice and mods!

08-23-2001, 07:16 AM
You go girl...:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Stevo
08-23-2001, 09:57 PM
Wow i totally forgot about this thread! Thanx a lot 400grl, but i thought nerfs were required?

400grl
08-23-2001, 10:44 PM
I thought they were, too - and I didn't expect to be able to race without them, but I think each track has their own tech rules. I called the track I was going to race at to see what their tech-check involved, and they told me number plates and kill-switch was it.

I would highly recommend nerfs, and I plan on getting them as soon as my husband recovers from the price of the pipe I just bought - for now I just kind of have to stay as much out of the pack as I can and try to keep from getting oh....30 - 40 feet of air.

Ha! Here's a rookie race story for you. My second moto, I found myself 2nd or third from the holeshot...........I ACTUALLY SLOWED DOWN TO LET PEOPLE GO BY. I might have even had my ankles up around my elbows, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Needless to say, I have to squash my usually pacifist nature down for my next race. I figure the only chance I have is to get up front fast and stay up there! Maybe I just need to race after a REALLY rough day with the kids.....:devil

09-02-2001, 08:11 PM
my first race was in an "outlaw" race iand all i had was a completely stock 400 b/c it was outlaw i didn't have to have nerf's or a kill switch...i had bald back tires and no back brakes and i managed 5th placeoutta 12... like somebody said above it is 90% rider and 10% machine ..it would be nice also to get some traction

400ex21 you race d-5? where are you racin exactly?

EX_RIDER
09-03-2001, 09:05 AM
I also do d-5.

I do both MX and XC.

Pappy
06-23-2003, 08:27 AM
well:confused: did ya ever race:devil: