PDA

View Full Version : Bought son a YZ125 Yamaha. Question?

Bound4Dirt
01-26-2006, 08:38 PM
It's a 1988. New top end. Pro circuit pipe and slip-on. I bought him new plastic and previous owner also paid for new rear brakes and new rear tire.
Anyway's my experience is with 2 stroke Honda 250R atc only. I have had a few. I never noticed with them a "delay" it feels like a turbo lag with the 125 I never felt with the 250R Is this normal? I looked at the plug and its light tan. Perfect!? Different motor making it feel this way? We are running 32:1 amsoil and new plug and clean air filter.

Thanks

F-16Guy
01-26-2006, 08:55 PM
That's pretty normal, especially with smaller bikes like 80s and 125s. Even my CR250 has a little lag if you're low in the rpms. You can get different reeds and a different pipe to change the power curve, but those smaller mills are designed to make power in the higher rpms, so you're going to give up a lot on top to get a little more bottom. The lag can usually be eliminated with your left index finger.:devil:

KY Woods Rider
01-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Yep, that's pretty much life on a 125. Either it's bogging and not doing anything or it's on the pipe and screaming, without much of a midway between the two. As F-16 said, you just gotta learn to keep it where you want it with the clutch. And yes, 125s usually go through clutches even worse than much more powerful bikes due to this.