PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rear shock installation help

Rdhanded2
01-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I am reinstalling my swingarm, and I can't get the rear shock on. Do I need a spring compressor or is there a trick I am missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brent

Chino886
01-26-2006, 08:19 PM
yeah, it is not fun, I had to have my bro help....it wasn't easy....

we just used our hands.....

Good Luck!

prepracing
01-26-2006, 08:36 PM
bolt shock to link, next bolt rear link to swing arm, next bolt up swingarm while doing this be lining up front link so you can get it bolted to the frame bracket, next lift up swingarm so you can get top of shock bolted to top frame mount ( this last step may require 4 hands :devil: )

JOEX
01-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
bolt shock to link, next bolt rear link to swing arm, next bolt up swingarm while doing this be lining up front link so you can get it bolted to the frame bracket, next lift up swingarm so you can get top of shock bolted to top frame mount ( this last step may require 4 hands :devil: )
A floor jack helps if you only have two hands;) :D

Chino886
01-26-2006, 08:48 PM
what if you only have one......(beer in the other).....oh ohhhhhh

Ex'r Marlin
01-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
yeah, it is not fun, I had to have my bro help....it wasn't easy....

we just used our hands.....

Good Luck!

Ditto!

It is definetly not fun, and it will test your patience!:mad:

Good luck!

NOTE: I do not miss those days!:D

Rdhanded2
01-27-2006, 08:32 AM
I took it all apart to p.c. my frame and I was all going too easy, so I should of know there would be a snag. Hell, even the long swingarm bolt came out easy, so I was tempting fate!

Chino886
01-27-2006, 08:37 AM
I personally thought taking the tie rod ends off the tie rod was a pain, but that is just me...

I am thinking about molycoating my swingarm pivot bolt...but I know it is going to be a big hassle.

Rdhanded2
01-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Still not getting it. Any other suggestions?

Ex'r Marlin
01-28-2006, 08:58 AM
When I did mine last... I had the atv standing up on the rear grab bar. I was down low with bolt in hand, while my wife was behind me pushing the atv in an upward manner using the a-arms.

Again, the atv was standing up on its grab bar and rear tires, and as you push from the a-arms, the swing-arm moves ever soo slightly... To the point that the hole is in sight, and the bolt in hand will go in to a certain point, but with the help of a tap of a rubber malet, it went in for me.

It was very stressful... And took quite a bit of patience.

Good luck!:D

Rip_Tear
01-28-2006, 03:02 PM
just lift the grab bar as high as you can or have the frame off the ground so the swing arm is as low as possible(you can take the tires off if you've got them on). This installation is very easy and simple.. bolt the shock to the linkage, then up to the frame, there is ton's of room if you have the frame jacked up and the tires off, I just did mine last week.

You definately don't need a spring compressor.

You can also take the linkage off the frame, as well as that plastic bit on the swing-arm, then you'll have more room down there. If you're still having problems, do you have the air box on? Take it off and you'll have room too boot. It's all fairly simple unless you put it together in the wrong order (I've done it a few times and had to take stuff back off to do it the easy way...).

Good luck

Rdhanded2
01-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Got it. Thanks guys!