PDA

View Full Version : 416ex machine shop help

EXSailor
01-26-2006, 03:59 PM
pulling my hair out here, I recently purchased a JE 87mm piston for my 400ex, I was originally going to have an aviation machinist friend of mine do the bore, and I was going to hone and finish the cylinder....... but i'm worried that i'm getting in over my head. So i'm trying to weigh my options of having a local machine shop do the work for me but I can't find any in the atlanta area that will do small motors. Any suggestions? I know I can send it away to be done... but won't that cost me an arm and a leg? anyone else that has had motor work done have any advice... cost estimates? I'm jonsin to go riding, but I have to get this work done... and I really want it done right the first time. help....please

punker69q
01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
If you are not confortable with precision machining and don't have the necessary tools to accurately measure the cylinder, leave that to a reputable shop, it will be cheaper in the long run.

But, if your friend is an aviation machinist and got the tools to help you then you should be able to do this with his help.

EXSailor
01-26-2006, 04:32 PM
I've got no doubt my buddy can do the bore, he's been a machinist for 40 years, only problem is i'm unsure on his engine knowledge. The guy can make a plane with soda cans, but when it comes to the honing of the cylinder, it's got me a little worried. not to mention sizing the rings! It's got to be perfect, I can't afford to be buying all new parts because I honed the cylinder wall down too much, or shaved the rings out of round....you know. I just want that warm and fuzzy about the whole thing.

F-16Guy
01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Take it to an automotive machine shop. The 400ex has a pretty large piston, so they should have the tooling for it. I had mine done at an automotive place here in Phoenix for $40, and it turned out fine. A small engine shop is going to have tooling for lawn mowers and weed eaters; much too small for what you're after.

EXSailor
01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
seems easy enough, now the trick is finding an automotive machine shop..... the online yellow pages suck! I've been pulling teeth trying to find one.... guess I've got to try harder. Thanks for the help everyone