PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber exhaust

daddio
01-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Is there any "extra" maintence required with a carbon fiber silencer, compared to an aluminum silencer?

400exrider99
01-26-2006, 02:03 PM
not to my knowledge but i could be wrong

KansasKidd
01-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Hey man i would advise you not to get a carbon fiber can. I've got the GYT-R carbon fiber on my Raptor, and its nothing but trouble. The first one i had split out along the seem goin the length of the can. I bought another one because its all i can afford (and it was still in warrenty). Sure they look trick and they are LIGHT as all get out, but in my expericence, they just dont have the durability of an aluminum can. Let me know what you decide to get.

daddio
01-27-2006, 07:07 AM
We got the White Brothers carbon pro 2. My son is now sponsored by White Bros., and the Alm. version was not available in time for Glen Helen. The cost or replacement was not an issue. I agree with you on the Alm. pipe for the the normal person. There is very little performance advantage with the carbon fiber, and the Alm. takes way more abuse, and is easier to fix.

stc416rider
01-27-2006, 10:28 AM
ive heard that they break easy is that true

daddio
01-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by stc416rider
ive heard that they break easy is that true

The early ones did. In fact almost everybodys first attempt at making pipes for the new 450's , failed. Few pipe makers allowed for the flex of the sub frame on the TRX and YFZ. Everybody I know that had an early WB pipe got it upgraded for free, and the later ones haven't had any problems.