PDA

View Full Version : New to the jumps....any tips for me....

Sportrax 400EX
07-10-2002, 01:11 PM
I'm new to the quad scene and wanted to know the best way to take jumps. I have hit a few but always seem to land nose down and have come close to being bucked off a few times. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Razorback
07-10-2002, 01:18 PM
you absolutely must stay on the throttle all the way through the jump. when i first started, what is happening to you was happening to me. if you let off the gas right before you jump, the nose will drop like a rock. just rip on the gas until the quad is airborne and it will help.

also, if you do feel like your nose is diving, start giving it gas and it will try to level out for you. if you feel it falling back, tap the rear brake to make it lunge forward. it takes some practice to get used to this, though. don't use the front brakes though.

most importantly, practice, practice, practice...

honda250xrider
07-10-2002, 01:24 PM
stand with your knees bent and be in the middle of the seat as you take the jump then as you become air born if you feel you are going forward lean back and give it some gas that will help level it back out

JabberJaw
07-10-2002, 03:52 PM
ALWAYS land on top of your bike!

Pappy
07-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
ALWAYS land on top of your bike!

shoot....i knew id been missing something!!!:D

FoxRacing400EX
07-10-2002, 06:06 PM
Check out the august issue of dirt wheels, they have a how to section with jumps, wheelies, hills, and mud. Pretty good information, but nothing is better than good 'ol fashioned practice.:D Good luck brother.:macho

Sportrax 400EX
07-11-2002, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm sure you know how scary it can be to almost go over the front bars. I'll have to take it easy and practice more.

Thanks!

07-11-2002, 10:10 PM
these amatures dont no what there talkin about...

first off when u approach the jump make sure your goin fast enough. for a 10footer i usualy run about 20, for a 20 footter, about 45.

when ur approaching the jump, make sure ur topped at whutever gear your in.. make sure u hold the throttle all the way over the jump, even wile ur in the air (maybe after u get good, shifting up wile ur in the air and gunning it before you land).
dont forget to lean reeeeal far back so u dont bust your face or your nuts..

just keep saying this... wide *** open.. wide *** open

Castor-426ex
07-12-2002, 12:08 AM
or you could try this...pin it wide open as you hit the jump...while in mid flight, seperate yourself from the quad and hang onto the rear grab bar...and somehow manage to get back on the quad before it lands...

Sportrax 400EX
07-12-2002, 04:46 AM
I think I'll try staying on the quad for now. Maybe when I get good I'll have try to grab bar thing.....:blah :huh :blah

trx400ex
07-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 300ex_boy
these amatures dont no what there talkin about...

first off when u approach the jump make sure your goin fast enough. for a 10footer i usualy run about 20, for a 20 footter, about 45.

when ur approaching the jump, make sure ur topped at whutever gear your in.. make sure u hold the throttle all the way over the jump, even wile ur in the air (maybe after u get good, shifting up wile ur in the air and gunning it before you land).
dont forget to lean reeeeal far back so u dont bust your face or your nuts..

just keep saying this... wide *** open.. wide *** open
Is this 20 footer your hitting 1 foot tall? I dont know about all these "amatures", but if i hit any of our 20 foot jumps at 45mph I would be landing on the takeoff of the next jump. I think everyone has given great advice so you dont need to bash them. I dont see why you say they dont know what the talking about, and then give some real poor advice.
First when i approach a jump i make sure im going fast enough to clear it, just staying in the topend aint gonna do it.
Most ppl dont hold the throttle wide oppen over the takeoof, and theres no need to in the air, except at the end if your not going to land perfect.. Also you dont want to lean reeeal far back, you want to stay in a neutral postion, if the quad goes noseheavy hit the gas and lean back, if the back end sinks, lean forward and tap the brake. The best advice anyone can EVER give you is practice, practice, practice.

Sportrax 400EX
07-12-2002, 10:44 AM
From what I can gather this is how I should do it.

1 have good speed coming up to the jump. Keep on the gas on the jump. Let off in flight if it's a long jump.

2 If it tilts forward gas plus leaning back will help level me back out.

3 If it gets rear heavy tap the rear brake? Or is it the front?

4 on the landing be on the gas so it doesn't nose dive.

Does that sound right?

D.

Razorback
07-12-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Sportrax 400EX
From what I can gather this is how I should do it.

3 If it gets rear heavy tap the rear brake? Or is it the front?

D.

use the rear brake, otherwise, you pretty much summed it up. like someone said earlier, once you get used to jumping, you'll be able to shift up or down mid-flight to prepare for continuing after your jump.

ATV_MAN
07-12-2002, 09:28 PM
Make sure your rear tires have comletely left the top of the ramp before you begin to let off the throttle. If you let off the throttle when you rear tires are even just the slightest bit still on the ramp it will nosedive.

SGA
07-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Take your time, start with little jumps. Get the quad just a foot or two off the ground or so. Work your way up to the bigger stuff over time. Single mound jumps and table tops are best to start with.
NEVER, EVER let friends talk you into jumping something thats beyond your skill.
First time i went to the track, I made all the beginner mistakes. About my 4th time at the track, it started clicking all together. I still can't jump too high or to far, but I know what the quads going to do in the air. Take your time and have fun.

Nausty
07-13-2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by sgaexer
Take your time, start with little jumps. Get the quad just a foot or two off the ground or so. Work your way up to the bigger stuff over time. Single mound jumps and table tops are best to start with.
NEVER, EVER let friends talk you into jumping something thats beyond your skill.
First time i went to the track, I made all the beginner mistakes. About my 4th time at the track, it started clicking all together. I still can't jump too high or to far, but I know what the quads going to do in the air. Take your time and have fun.

what he said.. start off small and just take the advice as a grain of salt and use it to for guidance to help you learn. He said start off small and he is right by the time you just go balls to the wall and do stuff over the limit when you laying in the hospitol an you can't ride for 3 months you'll wish you played it safe and took your time because by the time you coulda been healed you could be doing much bigger and better stuff without all the pain. Just take your time and don't be afraid to try new technique over stuff you are confident with. Also once you start jumping 50ft you should know how to use the rear brake in the air and how to throw it around right when you don't get launched right.

Buzzsaw
07-13-2002, 01:20 PM
like sgaexer said do not let people talk you into more then you can do at this time. and, do not be scared but have respect for what you are doing. No your limits!

trueblue450
07-15-2002, 08:35 PM
Frick you guys are all amatures...

DUH

what you need to do is hit a 5 ft jump at 4th gear. If its uphill you might need to shift into 5th. I like to run about 50 mph on a 10ft jump. Just to make sure I clear it. But its close sometimes. I've never jumped a 100fter like Dana Creech but I'm pretty much positive that he's running 250mph. ANd if your nose is going down just lock up all the tires and you should endo nicely. Jeessh Amatures...

J/JK:blah

Sportrax 400EX
07-26-2002, 08:03 AM
Well here's an update. I took your advice and it payed off. Giving it gas up the jump instead of letting off made all the difference. I didn't get to crazy but had a good time. Got bucked off once and messed up my shoulder but other then that it was ok. Like you said......practice. I can see your point now. :)

Thanks everyone for your input...it was a great help.

08-02-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Sportrax 400EX
I'm new to the quad scene and wanted to know the best way to take jumps. I have hit a few but always seem to land nose down and have come close to being bucked off a few times. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

if the jump is shorter than the length of the quad blip the throttle a little going air born or if it's longer just stay in the gas untile you go air born.