PDA

View Full Version : blew my second trans

eganracing
01-25-2006, 09:21 PM
on tuesday night i blew my trans during practice for the second time. i was wondering if anybody makes extra strength gears or something better then stock. any input is appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

wheeltrax
01-25-2006, 10:27 PM
what kinda quad.

prepracing
01-25-2006, 10:42 PM
what exactly do you mean by "blew your trans" are gears shattering or what ???

eganracing
01-26-2006, 07:48 AM
its a mx 440ex. when i mean blew i mean that second or third gear has dropped to the bottom of the case because it broke in half.

KY Woods Rider
01-26-2006, 09:19 AM
I only have 3 thoughts come to mind....
#1 - You're shifting without the clutch. In that case, start using the clutch. This may seem a bit silly, but some people insist on doing full-power upshifts without using the clutch or chopping the throttle.
#2 - The first time could have been a freak accident or maybe previous owner abuse if you bought the quad used. Something that was slightly damaged could have been over-looked when it was fixed and that led to the second failure.
#3 - Second gear is a known weak spot in some EXs and it happens to be one of the most used and abused gears. You might just be the unlucky guy who had two failures instead of just one.

As far as I know, no one makes stronger gearsets for the EX, but I could be wrong.

eganracing
01-26-2006, 12:51 PM
FYI i do use the clutch. i find it dunb not to use it. thanks for the info though

Rip_Tear
01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
I know there are "stronger" gears out there, no idea who makes them though, sorry.

sixer3
01-26-2006, 02:18 PM
no offence at all but definately doesnt sseem like a gear problem, definately rider, or possibly installation error, i've installed a 3 2nd gears in 3 different quads did em all the same and one still broke, with an experienced rider, im not sure why yet, we're assuming there could be some sort of bind between them

PismoLocal
01-26-2006, 03:00 PM
you could by a new gear set and send it off to pappy for moly coating just to a alittle durability to them, i dont really know if it would work but im sure pappy could tell you if moly coating them would be benificial.

eganracing
01-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by sixer3
no offence at all but definately doesnt sseem like a gear problem, definately rider, or possibly installation error, i've installed a 3 2nd gears in 3 different quads did em all the same and one still broke, with an experienced rider, im not sure why yet, we're assuming there could be some sort of bind between them

what kind of riding do they do? because i race motocross and the trans went out while going through a long whoop section and i think the strain from the whoops is what pushed the gears to there limit

01-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Im putting new gears in my ex, would be interesting to hear of a stronger gear.

free bump.

F-16Guy
01-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Make sure all of the shafts are straight. If one is bent from the last time it ate a gear, you may have too loose of a mesh. This being the second failure, I would go over everything with a fine-tooth comb. You may even have a crack in the case or bad bearing, allowing the gears to push away from each other under a load.

knelson
01-27-2006, 04:03 PM
cryogenics maybe?

440ex dragger
01-27-2006, 04:53 PM
You could just buy a bottom end off a 400ex that hasnt been abused and looks clean, change your crank or if its stock then leave it. Bolt on your topend and have at it.

AtvMxRider
01-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
what exactly do you mean by "blew your trans" are gears shattering or what ???

When I 1st read the title I though he just blew his his 2nd transvestite :eek2:

humblesquirel21
01-27-2006, 08:40 PM
ive read abotu repalcment gears in an add in dirt wheels they replace 2nd-5th as i rember the ad is in the back black and white small add section im looking for u right now if i find it ill repost with the webb page but to give u alittle hope i know they are out there and advertised in dirt wheels