PDA

View Full Version : The R450 in sand??

kevin00
01-25-2006, 07:19 PM
I thought i would bring this up since nobody else has.
stock tires are 18s
typical sand tires are 20s+
what is the stock gearing? i dont think i read it anywhare.
probably a 14/38 or somthing similar right?
looks like a bigger rear sprocket is going to be the ticket for sand
lets remember that these things wont just be used on the MX track. most people who live near dunes use their quads for both racing and dune riding.
I think this is the best sand duner out there. (on paper that is). wish i could get one:(
also with this thing coming out what seems to be very soon. Why has suzuki not relesed its own line of accesories yet? maybe they will do a knock off of GYT-R??

Diedrich
01-25-2006, 09:30 PM
stock tires are 20's..whos cares about suzuki's anyway when you got a honda:D

Dale512
01-25-2006, 09:49 PM
stock tires are 18's...not 20's Diedrich

tt racer
01-26-2006, 06:12 AM
They are 18 in. Throw some paddles on it and it will rip as good if not better than any other stock quad. Any of the top sport quads when modded equally they will perform awesome, it all depends on brand choice, feel, and budget. Guys you cant lose on the ltr,trx, and yfz. We are lucky ive been racing since 97 and ive seen the days of the 250r being the only choice for the serious speed freak! I love the R but its time to move on. :D

OKTRX450R
01-26-2006, 07:47 AM
IMO it will need a gear change for the sand...my guess is dropping 1 in the front almost equal to adding 3 in the rear. We run 21" dune tires...I am planning probably dropping 1 in the front and adding 1 or 2 to the back...just have to try it out.

I have 3 front sprockets and 5 rears for the 450R...

Vader
01-26-2006, 09:24 AM
I agree with OK....the LTR is gonna' need 2 sprocket changes for duning. Drop 1 tooth in front, go up 2 or 3 on the rear considering most duners do that on stock 20" rear tire ATV's, and this one comes geared to stock rear 18"s.....plus many duners are going to run at least 21" paddles.

The width will be awesome, and you won't need to run a crazy front offset wheel for stability (like I do on my 450R)...

310ESR
01-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Forget ther gearing how about the heel guards. I looked at one yesterday and a 20" paddle will hit the heel guards

buddah
01-29-2006, 09:38 AM
I ride at St. Anthony and Little Sahara mostly, with the occasional mx race a few times a year.

You definitely need to gear your machine for the sand and especially if you're running paddles. Paddles and sand rob horsepower like no other. I run 10 paddle bead to bead 21'' Gliders on my Yoshi 450. I'm geared down one in the front and two up in the rear. Pulls the hill real good and get's out of the hole fast. I've tried stock gearing and it falls on it's face on the steep hills. You need to have the motor stay in the meat of the poweband when riding sand to go fast.
Gearing correctly is everything in the sand when running paddles

kevin00
01-29-2006, 02:25 PM
i dont think they'll hit the heelguards, go to ITPs site they have pics of sand stars and HDs mounted. so i dont think that there will be problems.

Vader
01-31-2006, 12:40 PM
The talk about heel guards is hilarious....honestly who is going to keep those huge black 10 pounders on there? Everyone will be going aftermarket, and alot of duners will go without.

416exduner
01-31-2006, 10:01 PM
yea no kidding, I'm a dune rider for life and I never see people with stock heal guards let alone many people with guards at all.