PDA

View Full Version : ramp angles

Honda6sv
01-25-2006, 07:03 PM
on a FQX ramp...what would be a good, crisp angle..about 50-60 ft long at bout 25-30ft high...any recommendations??..from experience preferably

...or just a good angle all around

Rootar
01-25-2006, 09:16 PM
37-39 seems to be the magic number for ramps not to steep not to mellow, here is a side veiw of my ramp its 5 1/2 feet tall with 35 degree final angle its good for 50 feet atleast havent jumped it farther than 45 though so i dunno how far ill be able to pull it back past 50-55 but its very nice easy to trick and throws you level if you dont have the funds or space for a full size ramp and landing

sixsixzero
01-25-2006, 09:25 PM
did u make that and are they easy to build??

Honda6sv
01-25-2006, 09:27 PM
how long that ramp be?

lostcreekz450
01-26-2006, 07:03 AM
ok so if i was to make one similar to this one but taller prolly around 7-9 feet how long should it be abouts ?

:D advanged metal systems project woot

Rootar
01-26-2006, 11:27 AM
my ramp is 10 1/2 feet long and including the fold down piece its 13 feet , and its 6 feet wide. well

an 8 foot ramp is uaslly about 19 feet long i could draw up some plans if you are serious i have plans for a 8 foot and can expain how to get the "bend" thats jsut rite. if you look in that pic you can see all my welds on the sides of the curves.

my yahoo messenger handle is rap71858 those that wnat some different plans and pics and explanations on how to build ill help but dont waste my time if you never plan on building a ramp

wolffie
01-26-2006, 05:18 PM
asisde from a metal ramp being more predictable, or there any more advantages over dirt jumps? i have built some small wooden jumps for my brother to jump but nothing major. looks like fun, just make sure you got a real nice landing!:D

Honda6sv
01-26-2006, 10:05 PM
It keeps its angle;). "Stronger" then wood and dirt. Can be transported to different areas easier. Anything else?

Rootar
01-26-2006, 10:49 PM
you vsn move it back as the rider progresses without messing it up as with dirt. and if the ramps are built right they are REALLY smooth no akward lips or ruts or loosse dirt. plus they are desinged to give you perfect hangtime everytime for tricks while dirt jumps are just a guess

Honda6sv
01-26-2006, 11:30 PM
right on, right on
...and if you're worried about it...it looks WAY better then a big dirt pile in your yard :p

wolffie
01-27-2006, 08:12 AM
^^^ lol, never thought about it that way! yeah i might have to build something....mmm...i dont know, i am not sure if i am expeienced enough to hit some of the bigger ramps yet, but once the weather gets nice, i will play around with some dirt jumps and then look into making one...thanks for all your help!

Honda6sv
01-27-2006, 01:43 PM
do it, and when ur ready for a ramp..look into what u want and ask more questions on here or some where everyone know knows something about it, like freestylecomps.com, they can help u ALOT...

mxquadracer
01-28-2006, 02:39 PM
You don't want to build an intermediate ramp, alot of people do it and it's the worst decision you can make. You will be bored with what a 5'-6' ramp can provide within a month, then what do you do with the worthless ramp? Just build a fullsize ramp and set it up really close, you will improve faster than you'd imagine :p

Good luck,
Jake - Freestylecomps (http://www.freestylecomps.com)

Honda6sv
01-28-2006, 04:24 PM
For sure, thats the only way to go. Just nut up and hit it ;). If you're really that scared to hit it..you probably shouldn't be trying it.:D. Just do what feels comfertable and you will be just fine. :p

pit/wood
01-29-2006, 08:24 AM
this is great,that ramp looks just like our doubles ramp.I dont have alot of hangtime experiance,but I am learning.I know that a steel ramp has the benifit of not changing,but I am concerned about the traction that you get using expanded steel.there are 2 kinds ,flattened and unflattened,which should I use.cant make up my mind...any help would be great

mxquadracer
01-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Always want to use raised on a fullsized ramp (ramp that's not for pushies) :)

pit/wood
01-29-2006, 01:38 PM
how much pressure do you guys run in your rears tires when you hit a steel ramp .I need all the help I can get,broken bones cut into my ridin time.when I watched jon on tv it damn sure looked like his tires were hard.

Honda6sv
01-29-2006, 02:01 PM
I just use standard air pressure....but im not a pro either lol

pit/wood
01-29-2006, 02:14 PM
no pro here,but I got addicted to that feeling when I hit the sweetspot after nailin the throttle 25" up.and just what the hell is a pushie,my 20somethin friends have only limited riding time on thier collective asses,most all of it here for the past 2 years.damn,last motocross I went to the shocks were hung from the seat,now I get to learn a new language to explain the things that happen when I ride.,.,bring it on

Honda6sv
01-29-2006, 02:45 PM
ha sweetspot...LOL. Very awesome, Im getting a ramp ideas and what not rounded up to go to a guy to build a ramp. Very awesome welder, has a welding shop and runs his own business. Probably end up with an aussie comp ramp...would be very nice. Need to get him some more info on it then we may start building very soon.

pit/wood
01-29-2006, 02:51 PM
do all my own design and fabrication.my ramp will have adjustable lips,nothin to it if you think about it

Honda6sv
01-29-2006, 02:59 PM
yea that will work for beginers well. set it down if u dont like it. bring it up if u feel ballsie

pit/wood
01-29-2006, 03:15 PM
the girls will like it,they *****ed like hell when I dug out the middle of the table to make a double.they were hittin it at 25',but they wouldnt try it at 40(wa wa wa it makes you go to high wa wa wa)

Rootar
01-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by mxquadracer
You don't want to build an intermediate ramp, alot of people do it and it's the worst decision you can make. You will be bored with what a 5'-6' ramp can provide within a month, then what do you do with the worthless ramp? Just build a fullsize ramp and set it up really close, you will improve faster than you'd imagine :p

Good luck,
Jake - Freestylecomps (http://www.freestylecomps.com)

umm sure what ever you say i built my ramp becasue thats all i had room for well not room really but i dont have the kinda money to have enough dirt hauled in to build my landing up to 10-12 feet tall. its the best i could do and im not bored it i can do tilts for hours jsut getting them a lil farther everytime

yea if all you can do is a 5-6 foot ramp do it its alot better than dirt doubles and besides if you can do the tricks off a mid sized ramp like mine then you can for sure do them off a full size ramp (even more hang time)

Honda6sv
01-29-2006, 08:17 PM
With a bigger ramp right off, you can comfertably hit bigger tricks. Some ppl dont feel they get enough height (hang time) to try something bigger. Well, with a bigger ramp, that is no long an excuse to go just a little bit bigger. But, I definetly know where ur coming from with your ramp. He was just saying if you have the money, and you can build something bugger, do it...

pit/wood
01-30-2006, 09:05 AM
yea if all you can do is a 5-6 foot ramp do it its alot better than dirt doubles and besides if you can do the tricks off a mid sized ramp like mine then you can for sure do them off a full size ramp (even more hang time) [/B][/QUOTE]So far all I have is dirt-doubles,and a bunch of sand dune time.the reason that I want a steel ramp is so I dont have to keep reconstructing the launch ramp.I think I will stick with 6' though.the drawback with a shorter ramp ,the way I see it with my limited experiance,is that with a shorter ramp I need to have higher speed to get the hangtime I want .once I have a stable lip I can start working on my form.the way I figuire it if I start with a shorter ramp and get tired of it I can change it if I want(cuttin torch is in my shop,lots of steel laying around).

Honda6sv
01-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Just cut off a piece of the aussie comp then...instead of having it 20 ft long, have it 12 (with everything else the same). Then if you wanna bump it up when u get more money, add on the rest or a little more. Id still agree with Jake. Just spend the money now and be done with it. When you finally finish adding on, u will have been able to have payed off a small loan that u could have taken out to buy it all in one shot. Not having the space isnt really an excuse...move it closer then, so u have enough room. Then, when u decide to move or whatever, u will have ur full size ready. And, if dirt is an issue, dig a big hole. Make a little pond, gravity cavity:eek:, cover up some bodies, whatever u wanna do with it. ;) :p

mxquadracer
01-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
umm sure what ever you say i built my ramp becasue thats all i had room for well not room really but i dont have the kinda money to have enough dirt hauled in to build my landing up to 10-12 feet tall. its the best i could do and im not bored it i can do tilts for hours jsut getting them a lil farther everytime

yea if all you can do is a 5-6 foot ramp do it its alot better than dirt doubles and besides if you can do the tricks off a mid sized ramp like mine then you can for sure do them off a full size ramp (even more hang time)

No money for dirt? You require no more dirt for a fullsize ramp than a 6 footer if you're hitting it at the same gap? You'll just be able to build a bigger landing later without having to build a bigger ramp.

I'm glad your intermediate sized ramp is working out for you, but not everyone wants to "do tilts all day". I couldn't imagine seing a fully extended DSSG off of a 6' ramp.

I'm not trying to hack on you at all, but what worked for you may not necessarily work for the majority of people. I've been in this industry for a while, and I've seen more people complain about not just building a full-sized ramp in the first place, than I have people who were happy with the direction they went. I was just trying to lead the guy in a direction that would be smart for the general freestyle rider. No need to get worked up

http://www.freestylecomps.com

pit/wood
01-30-2006, 04:29 PM
It all depends you your situation.some have limited resources,believe me I know .One of the resourses I have is steel and the skill and equipment it takes to build just what I need with it.so I came here to see how others are doing what I want to do.its like I have never seen this stuff done,no dvds of the bomb squad,or any other freestyle quad riding.so just what the heck is a"fully extended dssg"I do know that I need work on tilting,takes me awhile,aint that young anymore.keep the noobie info comin.o yea if you go too your local and friendly yamaha dealer and take a look out back you might just see a bunch of steel shipping crates,free stuff.mine is glad to see it hauled off

pit/wood
01-30-2006, 04:42 PM
thanks for the info mxquadracer,tell me which way is the cut edge pointing when you put on the expanded steel and what is a pushie?maybe I should start a different thread,I dont mean to steer it away from the subject

Honda6sv
01-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Naw man, dont worry bout it. I got the idea anyway...keep going. This has been my longest thread...LOL;) ssg is a "Superman Seat Grab"...not sure what that "d" is...Derek maybe? I dont know if thats not it. Ill feel mentally challenged if its not Derek...lol. Got me thinking about it now:confused:

pit/wood
01-30-2006, 07:07 PM
thanks dude,yea in some of the pics in here I have seen the seats modded to create handles to do an ssg:D I study the hell out of any pics or vidieos I come across,being a mechanic and doing all the work for all my friends is great.but I have been trashing my machine because I like to do it farther,faster,higher,longer than all the 20somethings I ride with.I need to know how to prep my machine for what I want to do.and then I wont have as many broken bones or parts to worry about.just tryin to get ahead of the learning curve is all.The steel ramp is the way to go,I had that figuired,and coming to this forum is an attempt to go higher and hang longer so I can make the young bucks follow me.it would be great to have someone to ride with that I could learn from.but for now I am it.and I consider it my job to make them and me as fast and reliable as possible.For me,I live to ride,thats all I do,got forced to retire at a young age and had to find something to do.didnt mean to run over at the mouth,but there it is.

Honda6sv
01-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Yes, not a problem, how old are you? what do u want to do with your riding?

pit/wood
01-30-2006, 07:51 PM
be 46 on the 13th.I realy dont know where my riding is going.I realy dont have many years on quads.1 year on a three wheeler,1 year on a blaster that I rode into the ground untill it was to wasted to bring back to life.then this last year when I recieved this 05 400ex(josh went out and replaced his 440ex with a yfz and steve bought a 450R,they knew what was in the wind)but like I say,I ride alot,but I have limited exposure to the different forms of quad racing.I was at silver lake last year on opening day with my bone stock 400ex,it was 4 days old.I had spent the previous 3 days working on the yfz and the 450R,the usual stuff,jet it,rev it,pipe it,k/n it for those 2.and cassies brand new 400ex got about the same.but on the 1st I was gettin all the air,had strangers takin pics of me,it was great,I loved it.I was showin the guys how to come down hot and pull out of thier landings smoother,hell I had just learned it myself(you gotta watch out ,you ask a question,you get an answer!

Honda6sv
01-30-2006, 08:33 PM
lol, crazy story, so u want to race again?
-check pm's

GYTR
01-31-2006, 01:52 AM
Heres a pic of my ramp we call itr a ausie comp ramp it is 2.6 high 6.1 long and ha a constant radius of 9.1 meters
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/pb41b66d2278045ee06464274a35b0b7c/f0cf6f06.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p1a9effef73e08246686ea403c3445d7d/f0d470a0.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p55b197c5d54f7906d33a9b2d3646fd29/f0cf72bd.jpg

pit/wood
01-31-2006, 07:07 AM
dont know if I can do that stuff,but like I tell the guys to motivate them"you got to reach between your legs,give you nads a big squeeze,and say "I,m a man and I can do this s#*t"and go for it".That always gets me some crap from the girls,but I love ,em and they know it.Do you have any pics of the actual ramp?

Honda6sv
01-31-2006, 02:45 PM
YEA!, and do u have any of it being built that would be GREAT.
-looks awesome...great job ;)

pit/wood
01-31-2006, 04:13 PM
I`m lookin at those hills back there in the first pic,my kind of stuff.

GYTR
01-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Ive only got one pic side on hope it helps ]
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid200/p187561b1696c607620b2ca558d76e93d/f05936f9.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid200/p89c6480b49d23ad54e65ab497bae0404/f0593596.jpg

Honda6sv
01-31-2006, 04:49 PM
What is the width of that bad boy...and what material did you use for the surface?

-do you have MSN Messenger by chance talk with you further about it?

pit/wood
02-02-2006, 07:21 AM
I like the way you built it,some of the ramps I have seen in here look like you could launch a 1/2 ton quad from them.I think your use of radial struts is the way to go.its what I have had in mind.how did you join the side rails across the center under the deck? and is that a small ramp I see off in the weeds to the right of the big ramp?whats the story on that?