PDA

View Full Version : paddles!!!

250r4life
01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
ok, i will go ahead and settle this once and for all...

which paddles should i get?

well, if you are big into dragging or shooting the hill, and that is your main objective, and are trying to squeeze every inch of speed out of your bike, then get haulers... they are the best for that. they are the lightest and hook up great, etc... however, anybody that should really need haulers will know that they need them and will know which ones to get (how many paddle, size, etc...) because you will know quite a bit about bikes and will have experience with modding them and etc...

to everybody else, that likes to ride, likes to race, but it isnt their main reason for going to the dunes, who trail rides in groups, etc... go with a good molded tire. my personal preference and the tire that i feel is the best is the ITP sandstar, and i love having them all the way around (all 4 tires). they are cheaper, will last much longer and can be taken through much more terrain, hook up just fine, and turn better, among other things... anybody that comes and rides in our group that has haulers is made to ride at the very end of the "train." why, cuz haulers suck to ride behind. they throw sand straight up and back, so everybody behind you gets tagged and can't ride real close. it gets out group spread out and sucks, and it sucks getting pelted by sand. the V shaped paddles seem not to throw it up as much, and seem that since it is an offset V the sand hits eachother and falls quicker...

pretty much if you have to ask what paddles should i run, you should be running molded paddles. i would go with the sandstars...

Sandgod4
01-25-2006, 09:01 PM
A 10 paddle Glider is a great set up as well for hillshooting. This is a great alternative to an 8 paddle Hauler and Gliders throw NO roost.. I run Sand Devils for my economical dune tire and an 8 paddle Hauler/Glider mix for my best performance set up.. No triple buffs, they blow out to easy..

kssandduner
01-25-2006, 09:29 PM
I didn't know they made 10 paddle gliders, and you say they work as well as an 8 paddle hauler, but without the roost?

Sandgod4
01-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Call Skat Trak or a dealer who has a clue on the atv industry and custom order them.. They will take about 3-4 weeks to get them to your door.. RMATV should be able to order them for you or Jims Sand Toys in your neck of the Woods.. No roost!!!! You will be surprised at how well they work.. We run an 8 paddle Glider on the Athena, but it's a 20" tire.. The wife doesn't like the 21's, because they are tippy in the sharper turns.. 21's will climb and drag better. Don't over paddle is the key as usual..

Eddiesanders250
01-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Good job on explaining it :) . It gets kind of boring to come in this room everytime and see "what paddles should i get?" I would have to say that the V's thro up the most sand, but the haulers are right up there with them. It also depends on which quad you have to throw that sand up :p

400EX QUADER
01-25-2006, 11:09 PM
well I still dont know what paddles I should get??:p

250r4life
01-26-2006, 09:17 AM
yah, i posted this cuz it seems every time i come here, somebody new is asking "what paddles should i get." there has to have been a good 10+ posts on this already...

i really think on any bike that can get the tires going, the haulers are the worst in regards to roost. they throw the sand straight back and straight up, and it always stays in the air forever... and when you run into sand at 4th and 5th gear, it can sting a little bit, besides being annoying getting all over your face and everything... now granted if you have the v blade and have some power you can get tons of sand to throw up, but you have to intentionally do it...

that reminds me though of 2 weeks ago, my buddy and i were racing at the hill, and these people were parked real close to where we launched from (from where everybody always launches from). man, we had to be taggin them with roost so bad, but they shouldnt have been sitting there. if youre not gunna race, back up...

so anyways, back to my original post... if this post has been informative for you, then go get the molded v-paddles...

Eddiesanders250
01-30-2006, 10:04 PM
That sand really does hurt when it hits you, especially if its being thrown up by the R. Have you ever been hit with big chinks of wet sand? That i would have to say is the worst. Dont follow an R up a hill on a wet day, especially with haulers.

400EX QUADER
01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Dude come-on whats the big deal about an R? A banshee can throw a bigger roost most of the time and so can other bikes. Not tryin to be rude. But anyways I hate it how people come flying by on the beach and cut right infront of me. MAN the wet sand just fly's and pelts ya all over. Hurts like.:grr:

Eddiesanders250
02-02-2006, 08:12 PM
ya it hurts, oh and i agree other bikes can throw much bigger roosts. I said that because by the looks of it we both have an R and know how it feels. I am usually following one and its not soft trust me

john.E.business
02-09-2006, 12:39 PM
what would be good dune tires for my R with the limited mods listed in my sig? i was thinking about these ams aerospeeds?http://www.amstires.com/productDeta...ategory_id=1183 ....any opinions?? these look to be a molded tire so they would seem to be the right choice but does anyone know about there durability and so forth?

400EX QUADER
02-09-2006, 02:24 PM
22-11-8 8 paddle extremes;)

250r4life
02-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 400EX QUADER
22-11-8 8 paddle extremes;)

man, i have no patience for ignorance and incoherent rambling... did you pay no attention to what was said previously in this post? obviously not... like ive said before, if youre unsure if you should get haulers or not, than theyre not for you. haulers are for seasoned riders who really value dragging. other than that the sandstar is hands down a better paddle... more durable, less expensive, and besides straight dragging, out performs the hauler...

let me go ahead and further that and say unless you own one of the following bikes, dont bother buying haulers cuz they wont make a difference, you'll still get smoked and will have wasted your money:
banshee, 250r, lt250, yfz450, trx450, raptor,c-dale...

I have "those heavy piece of crap molded sandstars," and i dont have any problem with them slowwing me down or keeping me from smoking these "bad boys" with haulers...

1 last time : UNLESS YOU'RE INTO DRAGGING, SCREW HAULERS!!!
ITP Sandstars all the way around are the way to go

ok, its over, done with, i'm not gunna sit here and argue with a bunch of high school kids... if ya'll have questions about paddles, you can take the advice of someone who knows and go with what ive posted... or follow something else, but dont keep polluting this section with the same BS every other day...

john.E.business
02-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Haulers where never an option i like the sandstars and i like these ams aerospeeds so i will have to pick from the 2.. thnx for your help..

250r4life
02-09-2006, 03:55 PM
hey man that frustration wasnt directed at you, ive just had a history of a few of these guys popping in with their "hauler" B.S.
honestly man, the sandstars truley ar the way to go. ive ridden on several of them, and had other people switch from their bikes to bikes with sandstars, and all agree they are the way to go... i promise you you will not be dissapointed with sandstars... i'm not sure what the price difference is, but if it is minimal i would definately go with the itps... and the fronts are great too!!!

john.E.business
02-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Yea for sure i have heard good reviews from a few people now about the sandstars and that there a real fun paddle to run so that will be the route i go thnx for your input it is greatly appreciated...

400EX QUADER
02-09-2006, 05:16 PM
I've tried haulers, extremes and sandsrars on my bike. I dont like the sandstars as much. It's nice to have the straight paddles for hills and dragracing. But if ya do other things too, they still work fine as long as you know how to control the bike. Front sandstars help. Everybody I ride with feel the same way as me. Maybe is's because our sand is different here in oregon? you dont have to get so deffensive over my opinion when i've tried both.:confused:

smokinwrench
02-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 400EX QUADER
I've tried haulers, extremes and sandsrars on my bike. I dont like the sandstars as much. It's nice to have the straight paddles for hills and dragracing. But if ya do other things too, they still work fine as long as you know how to control the bike. Front sandstars help. Everybody I ride with feel the same way as me. Maybe is's because our sand is different here in oregon? you dont have to get so deffensive over my opinion when i've tried both.:confused:

You said it perfect. I've tried several different types of paddles and haulers are the best. Right now I've got a set of 10 paddle skat trak edge I'm going to try.

OKTRX450R
02-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Well said...everyone that is recommending Stars have you ridden the other tires or just going by what everyone else says? Just wondering because often folks post information like it is first hand only to find out it really is not.

I honestly just do not see how you can run Stars and say they are the best choice...maybe I am missing something but apparently my wife is too because she stated she no longer wanted the Stars either. Actually, out of 6 riders I know of that ran Stars only 1 is still running them and he has them for sale.

We ride in Oklahoma and at Glamis, apparently the sand is not any different from Oregon because we have the same feelings!

Personally I own Haulers, Extremes, Edges, Sand Skate 2's, Stars, and STU Brats 6 paddle. I have Sand Skate 1 CC on order now and I rode a set at Glamis over 4SW and fell in love with them.

John.E.business, what do you want the tires to do?

john.E.business
02-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Well its kinda hard for me to specify because i have never rode paddle before or sand dune for that matter.... but i want something that will give me lots of hook up and be a fun tire to ride and have some durability!! is there a tire out there that may offer me all of these?

250r4life
02-13-2006, 02:31 PM
i speak from personal experiene on the haulers...

i had a banshee before my 250r, and i had haulers on it. i also speak from several people in my group (my brother, and several other friends also) who have ridden with haulers... i just think that unless you serious about racing, they are not the way to go. i always ride #2 in our pack anyway, but i would never let somebody with haulers ride in front of me. they just sit and throw up sand. ive got a buddy in my group that has a raptor with a lot of work done to it, and he has haulers and is selling them. my buddy who rides a 450 and i smoke him up the hill, cuz he can't spin his tires- it just throws his front end straight up... we have sandstars that we pump up like crazy, and they do great... they cost less and will last longer... we make some dang sharp turns when we ride that people with haulers would have a heck of a time making...

so for you people who argue for the haulers, besides being light and therefore possible a little bit faster (which there is no argument), what is your basis for haulers being better?
more expensive? less durable? harder to turn? if too aggressive- to much paddle for some bikes? i would honestly like to know your basis for it being a better choice for anything besides speed

wayfastwhitie
02-13-2006, 08:25 PM
i ride 21-12-8 8 paddle haulers. my cousin rides with scat track edge tires ( same as sandstars), and we ride glamis. the edges seem to work better in the small dunes but when we get into the big dunes the haulers do a better job of gettin up the steeper, softer dunes. sure i cant break the rear end loose but i dont have to neither. unless i feel like being a dick bc some kids rode through our camp at 50.

OKTRX450R
02-14-2006, 01:59 PM
John, I guess there really is no way to recommend the best tire for YOU. I would suggest going with something inexpensive to get you by and then try out every set of tires you can! If you hook up with people from the forums and meet for rides many will have extra tires you can try out or switch tires with them. I have let several folks try out my tires...if they want to try out the ones currently on my bike they have to do all the wrenching!

Stars are better then no paddles at all, they do turn well, they are very durable, and they are inexpensive. But they are very heavy and personally I do not think they offer tons of hook up. Also, look at it like this, if you have to spin your axle by hand, you would rather spin 30 lbs or 15 lbs to get your quad moving and keep it moving?

Straight paddles will climb better and accelerate faster but not turn as easy. I have seen posts saying straights are just as easy to turn as V's and personally I do not agree...and neither do the laws of physics. But do they turn...Yes. Can I make every turn anyone with V's can...yes. Do Haulers and Extremes throw more sand in the face of the guy following you...YES. Haulers and Extremes are not good tires to follow...

John, the next thing you need to do is call up Joe at Fullerton Sand tires...get his opinion.

If money is not as much of a concern then ask Joe about some Sand Tires Unlimited Sand Skate I tires...talk to him about the differences between Comp Cut (CC) and Play Cut (PC). The CC tires are pretty pricey but those tires are the best do all tire money can buy IMO. They turn very, very well and the accelerate very, very well. Still not the pure climbing tire as a straight but better then any other V on the market. The PC tires are heavier and more durable but still offer better performance then any other V on the market.

And...the SS1 tires are rated as one of the best tires available to follow. Only problem...the waiting list for the CC tires is pretty long!

If you decide on straights or Edges...talk to Joe about paddle count...the biggest problem I see is guys purchase too many paddles. I have a 50HP TRX450R and I run 6 paddles in the Brats and Extremes.

john.E.business
02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Well that puts me in quite the quandry lol i was set on sandstars but your post make alot of sense i think the best way for me to decide is go to the dunes for a weekend first with my tires now and see what the terrain is.... if there is alot of wide open area's and big hills to climb then i would definetly go with the haulers or skat tracks if it is mostly trail riding then i may have to consider the v pattern.... the only thing that makes it more difficult for me is that here in alberta there aren't many places that call for paddles so many of the shops only offer limited selection... thnk you though for your advice and i think if i had to choose rite now i would go with a hauler.... but as you mentioned your R is 50hp mine is maybe 40-42 with the limited mods i have?? so how many paddles should i run?:confused:

smokinwrench
02-14-2006, 09:36 PM
6 paddle seems to be what all the yfz drag racers are runing now.

If your an agressive rider and can throw the ***** end of your quad around at any tiem you will prefer haulers. If your just a mild rider and prefer to take it a little easier thena v paddle is probably what you rather have. I would try and test ride acoupel sets before I bought any and see what you like. YOu will be able to tell in just afew minutes of rding what tire fits your ridign style.

john.E.business
02-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Well i would say im maybe mild to jumps but when it comes to riding trails or wide open pits i let er buck so i think an aggressive paddle could work??? i just wish i could find some cheap good stockers...

hasbeenttduner
03-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Could someone post a pic of a cc ss1?

Tom TRX250R
03-01-2006, 05:35 PM
I personally have tried several dune tires, from Stars on my buddies 250R to I own Sand Skate II's and Haulers. I honestly think the Hauler is the best route to go if you were to have only one dune tire. I do some hill shooting and trail rides as well and if you throw some body english into the corners, the Haulers handle great. The only time when you do really notice a significant change is the handling characteristics is when you are riding the side of a bowl on a hill and you do notice the V-blades have more leway for handling and are more responsive. If I was to have one tire I would go with Haulers but that is my opinion from all the tires I have owned/tried. For the little bit of handling you do lose to the straight paddle, you gain twice as much as hooking up power!!!

JOEX
03-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
I personally have tried several dune tires, from Stars on my buddies 250R to I own Sand Skate II's and Haulers. I honestly think the Hauler is the best route to go if you were to have only one dune tire. I do some hill shooting and trail rides as well and if you throw some body english into the corners, the Haulers handle great. The only time when you do really notice a significant change is the handling characteristics is when you are riding the side of a bowl on a hill and you do notice the V-blades have more leway for handling and are more responsive. If I was to have one tire I would go with Haulers but that is my opinion from all the tires I have owned/tried. For the little bit of handling you do lose to the straight paddle, you gain twice as much as hooking up power!!!
I agree with your opinions on the Haulers. They hook up great and are not hard to handle, just have to use a bit of body english;) I haven't owned a set of v-paddles but i've rode friends quads with them and they are easier to turn than Haulers. Being used to the Haulers the v's were too easy to turn, i'd be missing turns due to spinning around too far. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if I rode with the v's for awhile but I like the hook up of the straight paddles for getting up hills and out of holes:)

Eddiesanders250
03-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I agree with your opinions on the Haulers. They hook up great and are not hard to handle, just have to use a bit of body english;) I haven't owned a set of v-paddles but i've rode friends quads with them and they are easier to turn than Haulers. Being used to the Haulers the v's were too easy to turn, i'd be missing turns due to spinning around too far. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem if I rode with the v's for awhile but I like the hook up of the straight paddles for getting up hills and out of holes:)

agreed, but with all my power I cant tell a difference. :blah:

JOEX
03-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
agreed, but with all my power I cant tell a difference. :blah:
Well, lemme give it a try:devil:

wilkin250r
03-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Here are my thoughts, from somebody that doesn't know anything. :cool:

It's almost like a "what pipe is best?" question. In all reality, unless you have a very specific application in mind, it really doesn't matter, and you're not going to see a huge performance difference between them. The main differences are:

-The hauler does indeed throw a roost, they're not fun to follow. If you ride trails in close proximity with your buddies, the Hauler is not the best.

-Vulcanized tires (Haulers, Edges) are lighter than molded tires. This gives better acceleration, but are also more expensive.

-Molded tires, while heavier, are more durable. In pure sand it won't matter much, but if you occasionally traverse on hard-pack, or hit rocks here and there, molded tires will last longer.

Honestly, at least 85% of the riders I've ever seen would be fine with ANY paddle tire. Even the cheapest paddle will give you better traction than knobbies. With the exception of drag racers, most don't use their tires to their full potential anyways. Whether V or straight, molded or vulcanized, for most people it wouldn't make a lick of difference. A 60HP banshee with Sand Stars is going to beat a 400EX with Haulers any day.

I have found that most people are more worried about their reputation than performance, they don't want to look like a newbie with Geckos, they want the Haulers because that's what the cool drag racers are running.

Me, personally, I run Haulers, but I think I want to get a set of Edges as well. They're wider, and provide a little more floatation. However, I also have a 250X, and if I take that sucker to the dunes, I'm getting a set of Geckos, simply because they're cheap. The performance difference isn't huge.

So, there is actually a bit of truth to what 250r4life posted. If you don't know what type of paddle to get, then a simple molded V-paddle is probably best for you. They are the best compromise for all-around performance, durability, and price.

250r4life
03-02-2006, 11:34 AM
a bit of truth? thanks wilkin, but you could have left off the whole "bit" word :D

JOEX
03-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
a bit of truth? thanks wilkin, but you could have left off the whole "bit" word :D
Kinda like saying you're a 'bit' cocky :p

I agree with most, if not all of what wilkin posted. Alot of paddle choice is opinon and what one expects from their tire.

The main thing I try to get across about Haulers is they are not as difficult to turn as so many seem to think.

I started out on Haulers and know they work great for me and recently came across a deal on a set of Extreme's. Bought them because the others were getting due for replacing. I'd like to get a set of Sandstars because i've heard great thing about them but i'm not able to afford experimenting with tires at this time.

250r4life
03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JOEX
[B]Kinda like saying you're a 'bit' cocky :p

I agree with most, if not all of what wilkin posted. Alot of paddle choice is opinon and what one expects from their tire.

The main thing I try to get across about Haulers is they are not as difficult to turn as so many seem to think.

thats harsh man... i'm not cocky, i'm confident :devil:
you're correct- you can turn with haulers... i had absolutely no problem turning with haulers on my banshee, of course i had that top end to just sit and spin them... i've heard from several people though, that on the 4 strokes like the raptor they are a pain to turn cuz if you try to spin and turn it wants to point upwards... my main seat time with haulers is on banshees though like i said...

Randy H
03-03-2006, 03:10 PM
all you guys have been talking about back tires (i think).
in june my dad and i are going out to silver lake..we never road dunes on our quads befor... i have razor fronts on my 400 ex and i dont kno what my dad has on the front for his banshee... do we really need a set of front dune tires for the sand or will anny regular tire will work?
o ya in the sand can u still wheelie far?

Tom TRX250R
03-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Front dune tires are not as critical to dune riding as the rear, I would recommend buying them if you go more on a regular basis like I ended up doing but if you are only planning on going to the dunes once or twice, I wouldn't waste the money. From using them, (I run Dune Trackers) vs. the Razr's and other dirt tires, they float better on the sand, don't throw as much sand up, and they are quite a bit more responsive for quick turns especially when your riding trails.

cjkranz
03-04-2006, 04:40 AM
Heres my $0.02, for what its worth...

As stated above, for the majority of riders the Sand Stars are a great choice. I have run them on Warriors, 400EXs, Banshees, YFZ 450s, Raptors, and a V-Force. In terms of V-paddles, which makes it easier to turn, but doesn't hook up as well straight on, the Sand Skate IIs are also a good choice.

BUT.... we have switched to the 9 paddle Extremes and LOVE THEM!! They do make it a little harder to slide the corners, but the hook up 10x better.

Randy H
03-04-2006, 10:23 AM
were is the best spot to order these tires?

400EX QUADER
03-04-2006, 04:00 PM
www.smimotorsports.com he's a great guy, awesome prices and way better than rockymountainatv IMO. :D

cals400ex
03-06-2006, 07:09 PM
height wise, how do these tires compare to knobby tires? for example a 21 inch paddle vs a 21 inch knobby? i realize tires are different in size but in general how do they compare?

also, i tend to ride on hard sand a lot. i have never ridden on a paddle so i do not even know where to start. it seems that most agree a V paddle is better for a starter not knowing anything. however, i do want something light, something that i can cruise around on, and something that is pretty good for dragging. i think i want a 21 inch tires and an 8 inch wheel from what i have researched. no idea on tires though. the weight is more of a concern to me than the price.

JOEX
03-07-2006, 11:13 AM
I found out recently that Skat Trac has used different carcasses for some of their tires due to supply issues. One being lighter than the other. I belive the heavier ones are Kenda carcasses and I think the lighter ones are either Naking or Chen Chin or something like that:confused:

tone
03-11-2006, 06:55 PM
ams aerospeeds good sand tire very fun

tone
03-11-2006, 06:55 PM
ams aerospeeds good sand tire very fun