PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a used bus?

Toadz400
01-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Are there any good online places or even trader magazines that will have older used buses for sale?

I'm looking for a bus to turn into a quad hauler and I haven't had any luck finding any near me, so I'm looking to find some on the internet or maybe in magazines like Autotrader or Cycletrader.

knighttime
01-25-2006, 11:31 AM
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=182937

:eek2:

250xridamatt
01-25-2006, 02:38 PM
check the auto rv (www.autorv.com). I did a search for bus and found a few places with used school busses. I would also check local classified ads.

Hon300ex
01-25-2006, 02:56 PM
http://www.auto-rv.com/AdSearch/search_results.aspx

they have some there

Scott-300ex
01-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Check out the places where they have float trips, they'll prolly know of a place close to get them, or maybe they have some their lookin to get rid of.

BlasterEaten250
01-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by knighttime

:eek2: that think looks like a train!:eek2:

mech_head6
01-25-2006, 04:34 PM
neil you should talk to meyer, hes got some sources on old busses...

Honda400exrox
01-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Are there any good online places or even trader magazines that will have older used buses for sale?

I'm looking for a bus to turn into a quad hauler and I haven't had any luck finding any near me, so I'm looking to find some on the internet or maybe in magazines like Autotrader or Cycletrader.

I thought I was the only one who had that idea lol

I wanted to buy a used bus, widen up the door on the back and take out a bunch of seats and you would have the perfect quad hauler

parkers30
01-25-2006, 05:39 PM
you guys realize how crappy of milage gas powered buses get and that the newer diesel buses are stil pretty pricey and still don't get very impressive mileage?

I have an 83 Chevy with a 366 we get about 6-7 running about 60 down the highway, diesels seem to get about 10-11 running around 65

if you plan to drive alot you are better off with a truck and trailer

my bus:

250xridamatt
01-25-2006, 06:15 PM
I saw one of those busses like the one on Barrett Jackson. It was pretty sweet. It was at one of the carshows we got invited to be in 2 years ago.

About the school bus idea. It seems pretty sweet. I saw one at the track near my house that was cool. It had room for the dirtbikes in the back, a bunch of room for parts, gear, and tools. It had a grill and a couch and some other things like that toward the front of it. And it had an observation deck type thing on top of it, so you could sit up there and watch the race or take pictures.

user101
01-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by knighttime

:eek2:

If I only had 4,320,000 dollars that is exactly what I'd buy with it...:rolleyes:

flyin#5
01-25-2006, 06:39 PM
hell yeah neal... a bus hauler would be sweet. to bad we cant get the one we made in school last year.... probably the best bus paint job ive ever seen.

EvilMaximus
01-25-2006, 08:30 PM
the Steelers have a old broken down bus they are lookin to get rid of... :)

brian350rx
01-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Talk to someone at the local high school bus garage. Around here they auction them off in a silent auction and often times no one bids on them and they can be picked up really cheap.

Toadz400
01-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
you guys realize how crappy of milage gas powered buses get and that the newer diesel buses are stil pretty pricey and still don't get very impressive mileage?

I have an 83 Chevy with a 366 we get about 6-7 running about 60 down the highway, diesels seem to get about 10-11 running around 65

my bus:

In my case I think it'd be a lot more practical to gut out an old bus and haul a few quads than cram all my gear and some people into my little Sonoma. Also, buying a newer full-size diesel truck and a nicely sized enclosed trailer is not really going to be in my price range either, I think I'd rather deal with the few miles less to the gallon that I'd get, then spend tens of thousands of dollars just to be able to haul 4 or 5 quads.

And as for asking Meyer, he probably won't be too happy to talk to me after I dropped his classes.

knighttime
01-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by EvilMaximus
the Steelers have a old broken down bus they are lookin to get rid of... :)

:cuss:

i heard the Bus is makin' one more stop:cool:

parkers30
01-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
In my case I think it'd be a lot more practical to gut out an old bus and haul a few quads than cram all my gear and some people into my little Sonoma. Also, buying a newer full-size diesel truck and a nicely sized enclosed trailer is not really going to be in my price range either, I think I'd rather deal with the few miles less to the gallon that I'd get, then spend tens of thousands of dollars just to be able to haul 4 or 5 quads.

I agree, it is a big investment, but the the benfits are justifiable if you are you going to put enough miles on it, or if the truck would be your primary vehicle....

Nothing like driving a bus around though :D

JUst beware that getting them Titled as an RV so that you can drive it without a CDL can be a challenge in some states

Toadz400
01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
I agree, it is a big investment, but the the benfits are justifiable if you are you going to put enough miles on it, or if the truck would be your primary vehicle....

Nothing like driving a bus around though :D

JUst beware that getting them Titled as an RV so that you can drive it without a CDL can be a challenge in some states

My dad would be driving it around until I acquire my CDL, he's already got it.

If we were to buy a new truck it would not be my primary vehicle just because of the mileage it gets. The bus would be just for the occasional weekend when a few friends and I decide to go on a riding trip someplace.

TheFontMaster
01-26-2006, 10:22 AM

my bus:

But if you think about it, alot of the newer trucks don't get much better gas mileage than 10-11 gallons. And with the bus, you can throw a couple beds in there, a stove and you won't need to be renting a motel room, or sleeping in tents.

Maybe you can find an old blue bus with one of those hydralic wheel chair ramps, and you can use that to get your quads into and off of the bus:macho

xsr_racing28c
01-26-2006, 11:02 AM
we've got a used ambulance on your lot right now here in Slinger Wisconsin!!! for some of us, this may be more practicle... haha

WhiteYFZ
01-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Staten Island New York Pioneer Bus Company....

parkers30
01-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Just remembered this...

Kankakee Illinois has one of the largest bus dealers in the Midwest, probably not the lowest price but you know what you are getting.

http://www.midwesttransit.com/

There are always cheap buses on ebay too, if you can afford it definitely get a diesel, they increase in mileage is worth the $$$