PDA

View Full Version : anyway to soften front shocks?and bump steer

94F450SD
01-25-2006, 08:23 AM
as the subject states.the front endis way to stiff for me.i turned the screw on therear shock and now the rear rides so much better.on the trails im riding on the front end is just way too hard.when i hit a bump it throws the nose all over the place.

anyway to get rid of bump steer on these.thats almost as bad as the shocks.if im not paying attention to the trail itll rip the bars outta my hands.

400exrider707
01-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 94F450SD
as the subject states.the front endis way to stiff for me.i turned the screw on therear shock and now the rear rides so much better.on the trails im riding on the front end is just way too hard.when i hit a bump it throws the nose all over the place.

anyway to get rid of bump steer on these.thats almost as bad as the shocks.if im not paying attention to the trail itll rip the bars outta my hands.

to rid the bump steer you will have to buy some sort of a steering stabilizer.

As far as softening the front shocks, are they stockers? You must be light because usually they're way too soft for everyone, unless your doing slow trail riding. Just loosen the ride height on the bottom of the shock.

underpowered
01-25-2006, 10:50 AM
to soften up the front shocks, adjust the preload on the bottom of the shock. the best way to get rid of bumpsteer and a rough ride is a steering stabilizer and some new shocks. a pair of quality aftermarket shocks will make all the difference in the world as far as handling goes.

94F450SD
01-25-2006, 08:46 PM
im about 190 pounds.i did move the preload/ride hieght collar to its last setting today.it seems a little better but i havent taken it out in the woods yet to see.i know aftermarket shocks would be better but im not raceing it or plan on raeing it.i just wanna go out in the woods and pits and beat the snot out of it while haveing fun with anice comfy ride.

underpowered
01-26-2006, 05:55 AM
aftermarket shocks are not just for the racing crowd. i dont race my bike on a regular basis, but even just woods riding, a decent set of shocks is unbelievable. i just have cheap works shocks and they make one heck of a difference. look in the FOR SALE forum and you should be able to pick up a set pretty cheap.

94F450SD
01-26-2006, 07:24 AM
there are a few sets of works triple rate on ebay.whats a good price for a used set?

94F450SD
01-26-2006, 07:40 AM
are these any good?whats a good price for them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4607390544&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4606972794&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4607516436&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT dont know if these will fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4607880347&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT and i bought one of these

armysig
01-26-2006, 07:52 AM
I picked up a set of used Elka resi, compression adjustable for $450.00 on ebay about 6 weeks ago. I think they go for about 800 and up brand new.

PeP's I would have to guess they are about the same price used. Those in the auction I wouldn't pay more than $250.00. It's just me, but I like everything looking some what good looking. I would guess the springs would have to be replaced, It looks like there's a little rust on them. Just my opinion.

The Olin shocks i'm not sure about.

The stabilizer is awsome. You'll love it. They take out a lot of vibration if you do some rough trail riding.

94F450SD
01-26-2006, 08:01 AM
well it says the peps come with black covers so you wouldnt even see the springs.but i couldalways paint the springs.what would i do with the resevoirs?just zip tie them to the frame or something?

man these are expensive toys.i thought nitroR/C cars were expensive.:D

armysig
01-26-2006, 08:23 AM
No need to use zip ties on the resi's. The seller should include the rubber mounts and the metal starps to hold the resi. Look at my set up. If you don't get them you can at your local ATV/bike shop.

94F450SD
01-26-2006, 08:42 AM
ok so its just a couple hose clamps and pieces of rubber.easy to make from a radiator hose and clamps.

are the peps a good shock?

armysig
01-26-2006, 08:53 AM
PeP's and Elka shocks are about the same in quality, if you want better Axis is very good, but you'll pay a little more.

If you were to put socks in an order it would be something like this. Just my opinion

1. Axis

2. Elka (Tie for second)

2. PeP (Tie for second)

4. Works

All 4 companies put out very good shocks. All have their own special feature.

I would say Elka is one of the most used, and diverse. They can make a shock for so many different styles of riding. Dunes, MX, XC, trail, you name it.

94F450SD
01-26-2006, 09:03 AM
ok thanx,ill try for thepeps,still a few days left on them.

XCRACER26
01-26-2006, 02:17 PM
I ahve a works rear ultra cross for a 400ex, it would help yor handleing out also. make the ride alot smoother. check it out. 4607379007 is the item number