PDA

View Full Version : HID Lighting System

monkeynuts
07-10-2002, 09:54 AM
I was tinking about having a HID lighting system installed on my R, and I was wondering if anyone in here has this setup or knows anything about it. first off i have a 250R, and i was planning on installing a 400ex battery on the subframe where the toolkit is. i would be running the lights off of the battery, and converting the stator to charge the battery. these would be PIAA 6" lights with HID bulbs and HID starters.

any info would really help me out!

thanks!

knighttime
07-10-2002, 11:14 AM
it's gonna be expen$ive :blah

monkeynuts
07-10-2002, 11:31 AM
i know it's gonna be funkin expensive, between apx $700 for a two light setup & installation (WTF???), but i want to light up Glamis at night like no other. i'm gonna sunburn these d@mn geckos and melt the sand into glass.

250xman
07-10-2002, 01:02 PM
ive got HID's on mine and i love em. i used to do tons of night riding and stuff but as soon as i go them we never go anymore. aw well theyre great to see where the heck your going.

kicken250x
07-11-2002, 09:44 PM
hey 250xman how much was your set up if you dont mind me asking?? where did you get it? was it hard to install? i like those and i was thinking about geting 2 of those of 4 of those KC lights and getting my stator rewound what do you think?

250xman
07-12-2002, 12:42 AM
i think i paid 75 or 80 for these and made me a mounting bracket out of T-6 aluminum them drilled 2 hole in the frame on the shock tower and on that pic i had em screwed in but now ive got em riveted in and it holds alot better. i just wired it through the stock wires and split it so it works off of the stock switch but i took that big thing off my bars and mounted my kill switch and light switch on my bar clamps. looks alot better. the only thing you really have to watch is how many watts they are, like these are 55 each and stock is 110 so it works out perfectly but it doesnt get to full light until about 1300 rpm, just barly above idle. you dont notice it too much until you hit the gas and WHAM!!! you get tons of light pouring through your front end. if you want i can make you the bracket and put the lights on it and send it to you for just parts and shipping.

250xman
07-12-2002, 12:45 AM
heres a little better pic.

4HUN
07-12-2002, 01:02 AM
i hate to say it but those arent true HID. if you were to get real HID's youd be looking at at least 1000. Real HID would probaly never work on a quad. Unless you were extrmly rich and could invest a few thousand for a lighting system.

monkeynuts
07-12-2002, 09:00 AM
4hun-
you are right, those aren't hid lights, but you can get a true HID system on your quad. few palces do it, but in san diego where i'm at, there are a couple of places since everyone is into baja racing down here. some places will do it for well over $1,000, but the place that i am going to have it done at is far less than that, and it is TRUE HID. they modify piaa lights to accept the hid bulbs, install the hid starters, and everything else. there is an article on a 250r with this lighting system (by the same person who will do mine next month) at: http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/Final-Santrax2.cfm

if anyone out there is using HID, please let me know if you have had any problems or anything else i should know...thanks

monkeynuts
07-12-2002, 09:07 AM
4hun-
you are right, those aren't hid lights, but you can get a true HID system on your quad. few palces do it, but in san diego where i'm at, there are a couple of places since everyone is into baja racing down here. some places will do it for well over $1,000, but the place that i am going to have it done at is far less than that, and it is TRUE HID. they modify piaa lights to accept the hid bulbs, install the hid starters, and everything else. there is an article on a 250r with this lighting system (by the same person who will do mine next month) at: http://www.atvconnection.com/atvconnection/Departments/Dunes/Final-Santrax2.cfm

if anyone out there is using HID, please let me know if you have had any problems or anything else i should know...thanks

monkeynuts
07-12-2002, 09:08 AM
another, pics from atving.com

CoorsMan
09-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Hey MonkeyNuts

I have true HID lights on my 99 400ex w/ stock stator, I use two ( YES TWO ), 8 inch Maxtel lights converted to HID best part they only use 35 watts each. I Fab, my own mount, its a quick release so during the day I have them off and less then 2 minutes I can have them on. My friends hates when I ride behind them. Once u drive with them u won't want anything else.
My next projects is to fab a new mount and to use three ( 3 ) HID lights, Yes over kill but I have to do it. Also I have to fab a mount for my friend's banshee and 250R.

I can take some picts of my prototype if u are want to see......

Coorsman

monkeynuts
09-28-2002, 01:06 PM
coorsman-

hey if yuo can post a pic of your setup that would be great. i still haven't done it yet but i need to very soon. do you build these kits? i guess what i am asking is if there is a possibility that you might be able to build one for me for some cash???????? let me know asap.

CoorsMan
09-30-2002, 09:26 PM
MonkeyNUTS

I'm working on taking a pict or two, at the monent. I have the sub-bracket off the bike to see if it fits on a 250R frame. I really just build them for my buddys and I for a couple of reasons I'm a OK welder and still trying to mastering TUBE BENDING 101. So my Fab work isn't pretty but I'm working on it everytime I fab a new bracket. I have so many products on my never ending list (10 foot windmill, water system for camping, HID lights for friends two quads my trailer...etc.. ), I don't know when I would have time to build it I would love to sell u one (could use some green). So if u are in a hurry I suggest u look at where I bought my first HID kit (single light) from baja designs (Well worth it the $$$) I just used their idea and fab my stuff. Since u are going to put it on ur 250R I sugguest talking to Ricky Stator he has a battery kit for a banshee but u should be able to use it on ur bike, u are going to have to fab a new battery box/holder. I questions let me know....... :rolleyes:

monkeynuts
10-01-2002, 08:58 AM
yeah i have talked to ricky stator; he says that a two light setup with a battery conversion (less cost of battery) would start at about $700. i just don't have that kind of cash laying around anymore since school started back up. thanks for the reply, and if you feel like it's something you want take on soon, keep my username handy and pm me.
-thanks

JabberJaw
10-01-2002, 09:30 AM
Hey! What an idea, get lights that are HID, that way no one will know where to find them if they are thinking about stealing them!

RED121572
10-13-2002, 04:48 PM
Heres my set up.