PDA

View Full Version : How To Pass?

MXRACER86
01-24-2006, 06:58 PM
This year I will be racing on a tight technical track, pretty much a pure dirt bike track, it has small and tight turns, I was just wondering if anybody has got any good tips on how to pass on this kind of track?

mills_racing
01-24-2006, 07:11 PM
MX or XC?

reconmaster
01-24-2006, 07:11 PM
try to get the holeshot, pass people while jumping if you can clear it and the person next to opts to roll it jump it, cut in front of them in the slower corners to prevent it if they decide to whine after the moto tell him to grow up and its racing other than tight tracks require a good start

Chino886
01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by MXRACER86
This year I will be racing on a tight technical track, pretty much a pure dirt bike track, it has small and tight turns, I was just wondering if anybody has got any good tips on how to pass on this kind of track?

great question.......

MXRACER86
01-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by mills_racing
MX or XC?

MX

FHKracingZ
01-24-2006, 07:57 PM
hmm.. hard to say.. just work them different each corner.. work inside for a lap and set them up. they key to passing is out smarting them. You have the advantage when your behind.

CannondaleRider
01-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm not the most aggresive person when it comes to passing. But I seem to make a lot of my passes in the corners.

I use different techniques depending on the corner. If it's a sharp, steep banked corner, most people seem to ride the outside(That i've dealt with), so I come into the corner, facing pretty much straight at the outside apex of the corner, just slightly starting to ride the berm, then when you start to come to the upper side, I ride the front brakes, lean hard to the inside, and pin it, this will cause you to square off, and allow you to launch out of the corner, to the inside of the track, while the other rider is on the outside.

I'm not sure how well that will work on your track, traction, turns, etc. But it's seemed to work well for me, when I get the chance to do it.

MXRACER86
01-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys! the track im racing on is tight, once everyone takes off from the gate it becomes a train! This is the track im talking about! www.islandmotocross.com

MXRACER86
01-24-2006, 08:27 PM
small pic i know,

jwick07
01-25-2006, 09:06 AM
You will have to set them up be really aggressive to one side of them for a few corners then right before breaking on a corner change lines. Never follow in the same tracks as the person right in front of you they can go as slow as the want then and you can do nothing about it.

On any corner remember this the person on the outside cant complete the turn until the person on the inside has. So if its a hard left after a straight run on their right side, just before breaking dive hard to the inside then break as late as possible. You now should be slightly ahead then drift high taking away their line and making them let off the gas this breaks their momentum. Hammer down comming out of the corner and your the new leader.

A great place to pass is whoops. In C classes many riders dont spend enough time learning whoops. I love them and work on them all the time. I used to drive and hour to the nearest track and I would work the whoops for hours. First race of the year I got tangled up with the leader going to the hole shot and got dropped back to about 12th, on the first lap I passed four riders through the whoops. Here it is extremely important not to follow. I learned how to tripple into the whoops and then rythm through them on the larger and how to skip accross the shorter whoops.

But as always a great start is the key on tight hard to pass tracks. Get ahead and make them pass you.

jwick07
01-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Your blue the person to pass is red this is a block pass, you set up to the outside then dive low, aim for the apex of the corner brake late and hard with the back to swing the rear around keep the revs high dump the clutch and power down, you blocked there line through the corner and made them let off the gas and loose momentum

jwick07
01-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Or try this it is a breaking pass. Remember that the person on the outside can not complete the turn before the person on inside does. Get a good run on the straight, get along side the person to pass, and then break as late as possible and now you be deep into the corner, if he doesn't want to blow the berm or just off the track he will be forced to break and wait for you to turn before he can complete the turn. But it your in a pack remember that your now leaving the inside of the corner open to get passed if somone can run a fast line around the inside.

jwick07
01-25-2006, 11:06 AM
on switch backs if you can run the outside and run side by side through the first corner with the person you want to pass when you go into the second corner your now on the inside and you can control the corner and run him high out of the groove.

MXRACER86
01-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the great tips! :macho